anybody use the XS HP (3442) galvanized steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking:
I feel slighted. Sea Pearls also distributes the Worthington line.

We just introduced a 77 CF model At the DEMA show here in Orlando that will be priced to compete with an aluminum 80 (77.4 cf)

Lee
www.seapearls.com

When E7-80s were available in 2005 for just over $200 I thought that was competetive though not priced the same. To divers that didn't appreciate steel it was still overpriced. Is it still a 7-1/4? Some would really enjoy a smaller diameter and longer length.

Is there a catch? Is it just 3 CF less that the 80 or is the valve also swapped down to basic K?

Pete

I have the Worthington FX 100 and like it a lot, was great to drop 7lbs of lead too :) .. did take a couple of dives to get my trim worked out though (new diver & lots more weight on my back than that al80)

the 3442 Faber also has slightly different, full/empty buoyancy charicteristics than the Worthingtons .. some say better

Leadking:

We just introduced a 77 CF model At the DEMA show here in Orlando that will be priced to compete with an aluminum 80 (77.4 cf)

Lee
www.seapearls.com

sounds interesting.

Any other intersting tank news out of DEMA?

Leadking:

Lee
www.seapearls.com

these tanks are now $270 are you saying they will become cheaper? that would be really cool!

Well Mr. Lee, it looks there is some interest in that steel 77. I could not find any info on Sea Pearls' website on this product. How can we find out more?

Sea Pearls and XS Scuba worked with Worthington to get a 3442 65 CF cylinder produced also.

stats on the new 77 are:
2400+ psi
76.6 cf
-6.8 lbs full
-1.0 lbs empty
32.5 lbs empty
7.25" diameter
23.25" long

Cold galvanized-Worthington brought us this finish as an alternative to hot dipped galvanizing. We were not familiar with the process and declined, BUT we took the samples and beat them with a heavy chain, put them on a charter dive boat in California where the have lived and dived weekly for almost two years with no rust evident.

This tank is priced to be competitive with aluminum 80's (77.4 cf) and was well received and the first production run sold out at the DEMA show.

So assuming these are 76.6 at 2640, with a cave fill they're 104's? Not bad. :wink:

To me, the best thing to come out of the "High-Pressure" tank trend, was elimination of the Plus-rating gimmickry. I can't say I'm really interested in a LP-tank anymore due to this business. Bah! Do I want to worry over whether the friendly fill-monkey or the n00b is at the shop when I go to get my fills? I don't have my own compressor, yet, so this whole business of gaming the system by buying LP tanks and then overfilling them just seemed like too much hassle and heartburn for not enough gain versus money difference. I tell them I have HP tanks they check the stickers and give me HP fills. Done.

That Worthington 65 might be interesting. Any chance it's smaller diameter? Those of us who are not ASDs, would love to have a slimmer tank for less drag. Probably it's just a more squat version of the HP-80 but I can hope....

Sorry, the 65's are 7.25" in diameter.

As far as low pressure vs. high pressure, there are a multiple of reasons to select each, one is not better or worse than the other, and it depends on what is required.

For example: high pressure air is not always available
Partial pressure blending in easier
Wear and tear on a compressor is less

High pressure offers; better buoyancy characteristics
Smaller tank configuration

Each offers something, whether it is what you want is another question.

I still like my MP steel tanks best. These were made in the 1970-80's by PST; 3000+ psi, 94.6 cf. Oh yes, they are a bit heavy. However, external dimensions are the same as a good old 72. That means 6.9 diameter. Go through the water slick as a seal. IMO, it was a mistake to discontinue these in favor of water heater style. If the HP tanks (3442) were made in the same size as my old timers those would make a nice set of doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom