anybody use the XS HP (3442) galvanized steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Modern regulators the yoke is just a removable fitting. Get a DIN fitting and switch. I had an Atomic Z1 originally in yoke, switched it to DIN. I kept my yoke in case I need to switch it back.

Meister481:
I have a set doubled up, X7-100's. It's nice dropping lead and getting more air. The only drawback is that many shops won't take the time to give them a higher pressure fill to make up for the cooling pressure drop.

Hahaha......:D

That's ture..... I used to get a short fill at the shop.....

Yes, we use the XS steel tanks. They are sold as Worthington here in Florida. These are the most compact cylinder for any given volume that we can get here. I dive with a good friends, and we lend and borrow our tanks around. The Worthington X-100 is the hands-down favorite. You need less lead than the rest. Our experience is beginning to indicate that much of the extra air in a 120 like PST is consumed hauling it around. The X-100 gives plenty of bottom time.

My daughter has Worthington and Faber 80's. Worthington is a little smaller, and comes with a better valve. It costs more than Faber, too.

You asked for our experience. That's it. Happy diving!

Stu, note that the XS cylinders are not "sold as" Worthington...they're made by Worthington, with XS Scuba's name on there. Just like what Faber did for OMS and ScubaPro several years ago.
To be honest, I also wouldn't consider them as "the most compact cylinder for any given volume that we can get here." Any 3442 series exemption tank will be ~the same size as the Worthingtons, for comparable volume.

Codyjp:
http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

I was just wondering if anybody has used them and if they were happy with them. they sure seem like a good way to go. are there any downsides?

Between my buddy and I, we have 5 (all HP-119) and they work OK.
They are similar to the PST HP tanks, but rumor has it maybe a little more metal in them, making them a bit heavier.

I have heard from more than one source though that sometimes they can be delivered in a less than clean state internally, so definitely look out for that.

My buddy has had a set of 119's doubled for around a year. We opened them up and found water inside and they needed to be tumbled. I am not saying this is the fault of the tank (as we get a lot of potentially wet boat fills on these tanks), but this should not be happening after just a year.

Codyjp:
how long will a set of double 100's get you? i think these will have to be added to my list of must haves here in the future!

Make sure you dive the 100's before you buy. They are short (shorter than an AL80 tank) and they put a lot of people head heavy in the water (me especially it seems). The 119's are also short tanks.

If you are head heavy, LP85's are longer, or you might choose the shorter tanks with an Aluminum backplate to get some weight further down on your hips.

Hey Mr. Sparticle. Yes, XS Scuba is a Worthington. I figured a shopper may want to ask about them by either name.

You would think these would all be the same size. But.... I just stepped out to the garage and measured. Amazing! My daughter's Worthington 3442 psi 80 cu. footer is 20 inches high from the bottom to where the neck meets the valve. The Faber FX-80 is a 3442 psi 80 cu. footer and 22 inches high from the bottom to where the neck meets the valve. The Faber boot does not seem to boost up the tank off the floor any further. Both are the same diameter. Maybe the Worthington is made with thinner walls to make the internal volume the same. I don't believe I'll cut into them to measure that. Maybe the bottom of the short tank is a more shallow hemiphere. I did not take the boots off to check that.

I see you are from Raleigh. We moved here from Wilson, NC. There is plenty of diving and gear here, but no red hot dogs or real BBQ sauce either. I suppose you can't have it all. You get down this way, I'll show you a place to dive.

Stu

I feel slighted. Sea Pearls also distributes the Worthington line.

We just introduced a 77 CF model At the DEMA show here in Orlando that will be priced to compete with an aluminum 80 (77.4 cf)

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Stu S.:
Hey Mr. Sparticle. Yes, XS Scuba is a Worthington. I figured a shopper may want to ask about them by either name.

You would think these would all be the same size. But.... I just stepped out to the garage and measured. Amazing! My daughter's Worthington 3442 psi 80 cu. footer is 20 inches high from the bottom to where the neck meets the valve. The Faber FX-80 is a 3442 psi 80 cu. footer and 22 inches high from the bottom to where the neck meets the valve. The Faber boot does not seem to boost up the tank off the floor any further. Both are the same diameter. Maybe the Worthington is made with thinner walls to make the internal volume the same. I don't believe I'll cut into them to measure that. Maybe the bottom of the short tank is a more shallow hemiphere. I did not take the boots off to check that.

I see you are from Raleigh. We moved here from Wilson, NC. There is plenty of diving and gear here, but no red hot dogs or real BBQ sauce either. I suppose you can't have it all. You get down this way, I'll show you a place to dive.

Stu

I was just going by the TDL Tank Spec Page. According to that they're about 1" off, which is enough to make a trim difference but for most people...eh they probably don't care.
As to your BBQ comment...it isn't BBQ unless it's dripping in vinegar. :D

SparticleBrane:
I was just going by the TDL Tank Spec Page. According to that they're about 1" off, which is enough to make a trim difference but for most people...eh they probably don't care.
As to your BBQ comment...it isn't BBQ unless it's dripping in vinegar. :D

I've had tanks from worthington that weren't even the same size as each other, and they were bought at exactly the same time from the same batch.

We had to go through 5 tanks before we found 2 that differed by a small enough amount that they would work for doubles. These were X8-130's

Back
Top Bottom