anybody use the XS HP (3442) galvanized steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Oh~~~ Gee~~~ I got four tanks to double up 2 sets a few month ago through Seapearls and even, don't open the boxes yet......

I doubled up the tanks (luxfer and pst) several times by myself, but I didn't have any issue so far. How could you find out that it isn't a matched pair?

Well, maybe you got lucky, or I just got unlucky!

The way I was able to tell was that I went to the dive store that assembled them and saw a set of doubles visibly leaning "to the left"

"what the heck kind of doubles are those?" I said before i realized they were supposed to be mine. 45 mins later having paired up the 3 the dive store had (the two I had ordered + 1 already in), we discovered that no combination of the three looked even vaguely level.

The store called XS, ordered more tanks and finally managed to get two that were only off by a few mm out of the five tanks.

I dont know if the same tolerances are true for PST/Faber

I've never seen any issues like that before...

limeyx:
Well, maybe you got lucky, or I just got unlucky!

You never know. I don't double up four tanks yet... The unopened boxes are still in my living room :wink:

Leadking, could I exchange the tanks with the matched ones if mine won't work? :D

Hi All:

This thread bothers the HECK out of me, because I'm getting ready to order a pair of 130s and 120s from DiveRite Express. My plan is to double the 120s and use the 130s with H valves as singles. If I needed to, I could always switch them around.

A good site summing up the Worthington Cylinders is the DiveRite Express webpage found here. Note that tank purchases are shipped FREE. They also have a good article discussing tank choices here.

BUT, 1/4" difference in cylinder length REALLY bothers me, especially when the tanks are supposed to be manufactured in a "state-of-the-art" production facility. What is Worthington doing, HAND cutting or drawing them? :confused:

I originally ordered OMS 130s back in September from my LDS that were supposed to be the PST HDG 3442 PSI cylinders. They never showed up and then OMS shipped their "new" 3442 Faber cylinders instead. I only got one of the two I ordered and used this tank on a few dives. It's OK, but it gets POSITIVE at the end of the dive. I've been waiting on the second tank to be shipped to my LDS (I only got one), but I'm planning on cancelling my order today. I don't know what the heck is up with OMS. For a company who's gear is in high demand they sure are screwing up production and delivery.

So, I guess I'm going to contact DiveRite Express to make certain I get "matched" pairs of the Worthingtons.

Any other ideas?

THANKS...

Drewski:
Hi All:

This thread bothers the HECK out of me, because I'm getting ready to order a pair of 130s and 120s from DiveRite Express. My plan is to double the 120s and use the 130s with H valves as singles. If I needed to, I could always switch them around.

A good site summing up the Worthington Cylinders is the DiveRite Express webpage found here. Note that tank purchases are shipped FREE. They also have a good article discussing tank choices here.

BUT, 1/4" difference in cylinder length REALLY bothers me, especially when the tanks are supposed to be manufactured in a "state-of-the-art" production facility. What is Worthington doing, HAND cutting or drawing them? :confused:

So, I guess I'm going to contact DiveRite Express to make certain I get "matched" pairs of the Worthingtons.

Any other ideas?

THANKS...

No other ideas except make the people you are ordering from understand that they are for doubles and if possible, get this in writing so that if they dont match, it's on the store/shipper to make it right.

I have not seen this issue with the X8-119 (my buddies matched perfectly) or PST LP 80s/100's, just the worthington X8-130 for now.

Another buddy also got the X7-120's doubled up recently and I think did not have this issue.

Hi All:

Thanks for the responses on this issue. I e-mailed DiveRite Express and received the following reply:

-----Original Message-----
From: Dive Rite Express [mailto:n2diving@diveriteexpress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:34 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: Question about Worthington Cylinders

XXXXXXXXXX,

All of our Worthington cylinders are shipped directly from Sea Pearls in Minneapolis.

--Charles
----- Original Message -----
To: Terri@DiveRiteExpress.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:19 PM
Subject: Question about Worthington Cylinders

Hi Terri:

I'm interested in purchasing a pair of the Worthington X-7 120s and X-8 130s, along with a manifold and "H" valves. My plan is to double the 120s and use the 130s as singles with H Valves. I'd could also switch them and double the 130s (with bigger bands) if I needed to.

But, here's the thing. I've been following a thread on ScubaBoard.com lately where Lee Selisky, the President of SeaPearls, discusses "tolerances" on Worthington tanks. He says "tolerances from Worthington are +/- .250" . When selling multiple tanks we ask if they're being doubled and have a set of 36" calipers and sell matched pairs."

The discussion thread is at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166018&page=4

If I make the purchase from you guys (more than $2,000), I'd want to make certain I'd get MATCHED pairs of both.

Can DiveRite Express do this?

THANKS…

Needless to say, NOT the best answer. I switched dive shops and went to another LDS, eventually getting to the owner. I ended up going with 4 Low Pressure Worthington 120s, configured as doubles and "H" valve singles, all of them 300 Bar DIN. He gave a a great deal, about $400 less than the best "on line" price. I'm a pretty big guy so the weight doesn't bother me too much and I do like the idea of more gas on jam fills. I'm also planning on using singles in most applications, maybe with a smaller stage.

I'll put some pictures up when I get them...

THANKS again!

Every time I get a pair of tanks of different height I simply cut off the top of the taller tank to make sure they are perfectly aligned. Once I didn’t realize I was pairing a 130 and an 80:no . Needless to say I cut the entire mid section out of the 130 and had to weld it back together. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom