Any Scuba badges in scouts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what PADI announced at DEMA. BSA announced it's available as of 1 Dec. Has anyone seen the badge or pamphlet in their scout shop? (mb book is available online)

: Changes in SCUBA rules
The Guide To Safe Scouting has been updated to allow all Boy Scouts to earn SCUBA certification. For more information see:
Aquatics Safety

This supports the new SCUBA merit badge which officially is released Dec 1, 2009. Requirements are here:
mb-scuba

The new MB pamphlets are available for online order and will be available in the Scout Shops around Dec 1 or so. No news on when the badges will be available.

First new merit badge in 3 years!

i got this email from my the leaders above me in scouting. im excited for my boys to get it. we are planning to get it the first of the year.

I have two questions regarding the SCUBA merit badge...1. I am curious what others are being quoted by their local dive shops for the completion of the merit badge...the fee my local shop quoted seems outrageous, and 2. once the open water cert is completed can my son finish the rest of the requirements with someone else who is qualified to teach the material...or does all of the merit badge have to be completed with a dive instructor? Thanks for your input/time.

I have two questions regarding the SCUBA merit badge...1. I am curious what others are being quoted by their local dive shops for the completion of the merit badge...the fee my local shop quoted seems outrageous, and 2. once the open water cert is completed can my son finish the rest of the requirements with someone else who is qualified to teach the material...or does all of the merit badge have to be completed with a dive instructor? Thanks for your input/time.

1. The price quoted for "completion of the merit badge" shouldn't be any different than the price quoted for open water diver certification. When shopping for an open water diver certification course, there are many costs to consider. Some are built into the course fee, some aren't.

2. The only part of the mb that must be done with an instructor is completing requirement #4 (Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy).

Your son can get his open water diver certification and then work with any scuba diving merit badge counselor to finish the other requirements. All the merit badge counselors that I'm aware of don't charge for their time counseling merit badges. However, the SDMB has been promoted to the diving community as a way of making money. The dive shop may not 'get' the idea of scouting volunteers and merit badge counseling.

Your district/council sets the requirements for being a merit badge counselor. Anyone with an interest in scuba diving could be a merit badge counselor. There is no requirement for a SDMBC to be a dive instructor.

Not sure if you are looking man/woman, however, years ago Girl Scouts had a creat your own badge. You could make up the criteria, have it approved by council, and then proceed to earn the badge. I did it with my girls for sewing. Perhaps that is still available, and perhaps it is available for the boys too. We took the blank badge, and stitched on it something to do with sewing, could stitch or paint on it the dive flag?

mmmeeneham is correct.

1. The price to complete requirement #4 OW or JROW Certification should be no more than regular OW or JROW course. In fact, you should inquire about BSA MB group program and pricing. Be sure to request a "Certification" price. Often times there will be added cost, Mask, Fin, Snorkel, Boots, Certification Application, Open Water Fees, etc. Try to get a complete package price.

2. Only requirement #4 OW Certification must be completed by a Scuba Instructor. Keep in mind that Requirement #2 states "Before completing requirements 3 through 6, earn the Swimming merit badge".

3. To be a MBC with the Boy Scouts you must be an Adult Volunteer and be trained. Quick Start Training can be done online at the BSA website. Then you need to fill out a MBC application and have it approved by the advancement person in the district you are intrested in. The advancement person will send it to your council to be approved. Then you are a MBC. This must be repeted for each district you wish to be a MBC for, then repeted each year.

I am a counselor for SCUBA Merit Badge. I also assist in teaching the certification. We, East Coast Divers, do not charge any extra for the scouts to earn the SCUBA Activity badge and the SCUBA Merit Badge which is included in the Certification class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom