Any months to avoid when trip planning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a 2nd trip for the kids and I. First one was great, although hot lol.
We are looking for end of 2022, or early 2023. I've seen some posts about January being bad for days blow out due to weather.
Are there other times I should avoid due to this? We would go for a week, so a day or two isn't terrible if we got blown out, but would hate to be more than that. Water temp I assume is always warm even in winter.
Lastly, are there any times there are better for certain species for viewing pleasure?

TIA,
SS4F

Are you planning to fly into Cozumel and stay there, or are you going to be taking the ferry to/from Playa del Carmen? My first trip to PDC was in December and we had lots of days we couldn't make the crossing to Cozumel, though I'm not sure that meant the boats already in Cozumel weren't going out.

Anyway, here's PADI's take: Diving in Cozumel | PADI.

ETA: and an earlier thread: Best time of year/worst time of year to go diving in Cozumel?

I find the water temp plenty warm in the winter but the cooler breeze on top might make you want a boatcoat.

January is the month with the most port closings on average. But looking at it from another perspective, that's probably the coldest most wintery month for you back home and will feel like a blessing. It's really nice to escape freezing temps for tropical 80's.

On the other hand, summer months have the least port closings but the temps are more or less the same, perhaps even a bit cooler, as Houston so there's no climate relief.

I've always found more eagle ray sightings in Feb/March.

There's a rotating set of site closures, so keep that in mind if you want to go to a particular spot. From the marine park's Facebook page:
1656435578577.png

Your question isn't as easy to answer as it sounds. We generally go for 3 weeks so a couple rainy or down days doesn't have much impact on our vacation. A 1-week vacation has much more weather risk to consider. Here's my two cents on the general seasons;
  • Dec-Feb. Definitely has more chance of blow out days but weather is generally very comfortable on the non-blow out days. Big plus for diving are more Eagle Rays! Water is fairly warm (77-80) but SI's can be a bit chilly. I would say weather is risky, diving with iffy weather isn't so bad but if you if you have non-divers counting on "beach time" weather you are taking a risk especially if you are only staying 1 week.
  • Mar-June. The weather is usually pretty good but blow days still occur sometimes. This is usually when we recommend taking our non-diving guests to Coz. Downside is that it is the busy season. Diving wise there are still Eagle Rays around, water starts get warmer but I think the currents can be get very unpredictable in spring/early summer.
  • July - Sept. We are from the PNW and only been in Coz once this time of year and we struggled with the heat and humidity. I think some of the southern ScubaBoard members don't mind the summers in Coz but it's not for us.
  • Oct - Nov. We love this time of year, generally very quiet bc it's the off-season but that has changed somewhat with Covid-19. Weather is generally very nice and comfortable unless a hurricane blows in (hurricane season is June - Oct). In the last 10 years we had 9 years of perfect weather and one year we were locked in our hotel for days and then had to cut our trip short since it was raining sideways for a week. Diving is fantastic this time of year, usually mild currents, water is 82-84 degrees, very few Eagle Rays but we have been seeing quite a few sharks the last 3 years. Our diving & non-diving guests prefer Oct as well but none have experienced a hurricane situation.

Thanks! It sounds like end feb/march is best for us.
We will fly directly into Coz.
Last time I went in Aug, omg was it HOT!
No non divers with us. :)
Thanks again!

Last time I went in Aug, omg was it HOT!
Love Coz in August/September. Less crowds, no port closures, and nice warm water. Of course, I'm coming from the Phoenix area, so it's actually cooler for me :). Have fun and safe diving.

My favorite time is April-May; it's a bit of a mini slow season (after the snowbirds and before the families with school age kids) and it's between Norte and Hurricane seasons. Also, it's the best time of year for offshore fishing.

Are there other times I should avoid due to this? We would go for a week, so a day or two isn't terrible if we got blown out, but would hate to be more than that.
Blowouts are more common in the winter, and you just never know how many you'll get in a trip. I've been a few times in the winter with no problems, but they happen.

Winter air travel is also more challenging. DFW does get their ice storms, and while Houston gets fewer, they are less prepared to deal with them. Going thru Miami would be safer, but from there you seem to have to make two changes, the first one up north. I do see some itineraries with only one plane change each way thru Charlotte or Philadelphia, Saturdays only, but they cost a lot more. Of course, getting out of Maine and back in during the winter can be risky.
Lastly, are there any times there are better for certain species for viewing pleasure?
Winter is also when you get Eagle Rays. Opinions vary as which months are best, but it's really up to the Rays.
Water temp I assume is always warm even in winter.
Yeah, but in the summer I dive a one mil jumpsuit, but in the winter I have to add a three mil shorty. I don't get chilled on SIs, but I do in the water, so experiences vary.
July - Sept. We are from the PNW and only been in Coz once this time of year and we struggled with the heat and humidity. I think some of the southern ScubaBoard members don't mind the summers in Coz but it's not for us.
I go in August to cool off. :cool:

My favorite times to visit the island are Sept-Nov or Mar-May. I have never been on the island in the summer, but wouldn't rule it out since St. Louis is miserably hot and humid, I might as well have an ocean if suffering from oppressive summer heat. Since you are only going for a week, I would avoid Jan and Feb. During our last visit, we lost two days of diving due to a norte. When we did dive, it was chilly and difficult to warm up during surface intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom