Best time of year/worst time of year to go diving in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there particular times of the year when it's better (or not so good) to go diving in Cozumel?

Anytime I can get there. of course. I go in sept. every year. It is hurricance season and HOT AND HUMID, but the island is slow and I love it. Weather is so hit or miss you never know. It rained a lot last week and they even cancelled school.
I also went in Jan and April this year. In the winter time you get to deal with nortes and port closure.
Im not sure about currents, it seems sometimes ripping and sometimes not. IDK if they are better or worse depending on time of year. Going for 2-weeks this sept. longest trip yet.
that's my 2-cents for what its worth.:D

The 'best' time is usually between Jan 1 and Dec 31. The diving is good year round and each season has its own characteristics. I try to get in as much diving as possible in the ‘off’ season of September thru November since the number of visitors to the island is much lower than the rest of the year and the pace is much more relaxed. It is really nice to go diving with 3-4 persons total on the boat and no other boats on the dive site.

As the others have said, Cozumel doesn't really have a bad season.... BUT there are passing seasonal storms which can occur in ANY month. From Nov-Apr you can get a passing "Norte" storm with high winds, so no diving allowed. From May to Nov you can get tropical storms and do expect rain for a short time every day. That said, I have never been there during a storm and I have been 9 times from March to Aug. Passing storms may cancel diving for a day or two, but rarely more than that. Unless you get a hurricane.... which doesn't happen very often.

My favorite time of year to go to Cozumel is still MAY. Water is warm but not too warm, air temps are warm but not humid muggy like mid-summer. And the seas seem to be much calmer than March-April.

Worst times---------IMO-----winter time(~Jan & Feb) AND just ahead, or after , a hurricane.....:)

From Nov-[-]Apr[/-] you can get a passing "Norte" storm with high winds, so no diving allowed.

Or in the case of this year, May. However any Norte is a good excuse to do something else. This year, east side day. Another year, we went to Xplor on the mainland.

We went for a week in December and it was fabulous, though there was a lot of rain in the afternoons. We almost lost a day to a Norte, but the port stayed open and it just ended up being rough seas.

I know going in the winter was a gamble with the nortes, but it was damn cold here and we were glad to get to leave and go someplace warm.

We also were there for one day on a cruise a few years ago in April, and it was a beautiful day.

Last edited:
We went for a week in January and it was fabulous, though there was a lot of rain in the afternoons. We almost lost a day to a Norte, but the port stayed open and it just ended up being rough seas.

I know going in the winter was a gamble with the nortes, but it was damn cold here and we were glad to get to leave and go someplace warm.

We also were there for one day on a cruise a few years ago in April, and it was a beautiful day.

Not if you dive with Aldora.......This day in Feb of '10, the port was completely shut down & we were diving(2 great morning dives)on the East side......:)....some pics & a video from those dives(the East Side).....

staghorncoral.jpg

nurseshark.jpg

a cannon from an old Spanish wreck..
Debandcannon.jpg

Video------it was C-A-L-M over there, East Side launching.......
East Side Launching Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

Not if you dive with Aldora.......

I believe there were a few days where Aldora didn't send boats out on either side because of the way the wind was hitting; at least that is what I recall Dave posting.
But, yes, the typical Norte day they do dive the other side. You do know though that Aldora doesn't have capacity for EVERY diver on the island, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom