Any good Caribbean dive resorts for a non-diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, I moved this thread to the Caribbean forum where it will get the attention of people with good local knowledge.

Are those daily rates in US dollars?
$400 to over $1000 per person per day?
Am I missing something?

Ya gotta shop around....

My LDS is going in April next year.

$2564pp double occupancy
7 nights
2-3 boat dives/day
unlimited guided shore dives (including night)
3 meals/day
unlimited non alcoholic drinks

That's $732 per day per couple.

How much does food and diving cost ala-cart? Maybe $400? So that's $332/night for the room. Pricey, but not unreasonable for a luxury resort. How much is Sandals or Treasure Island, even with a meal package.

Sure, you can go to Scuba Club Cozumel and have a great time, but that is in a different class...

You want a diver/non dive vacation? I would do Grand Cayman and leave the car keys for the non diver. Though I do not favor the Seven Mile Beach area, it has a lot to offer the diver and the non diver. Almost all operators will pick up. The beach, restaurants and shopping are good.

Ya gotta shop around....

My LDS is going in April next year.

$2564pp double occupancy
7 nights
2-3 boat dives/day
unlimited guided shore dives (including night)
3 meals/day
unlimited non alcoholic drinks

That's $732 per day per couple.

How much does food and diving cost ala-cart? Maybe $400? So that's $332/night for the room. Pricey, but not unreasonable for a luxury resort. How much is Sandals or Treasure Island, even with a meal package.

Sure, you can go to Scuba Club Cozumel and have a great time, but that is in a different class...

That is much more reasonable. I just took a quick look at their rack rate.

Are those daily rates in US dollars?
$400 to over $1000 per person per day?
Am I missing something?

Like @gr8jab, I shopped around & chose the best time/deal so I wasn't paying honeymoon prices. With the package I chose, it was a little pricey, but wasn't ridiculous at all. & quite in line with some of the resorts out there. For example: They are currently doing a Spring sale with 35% off.

Depends on what your non-diver finds relaxing. My wife and others LOVE Reef divers in Brac. Very low key and relaxing!

Just got back from Roatan and posted a trip report.
Although both of us dive, we also like to unwind onshore and have snorkeling avail from hotel beach, for which West Bay is by far the best.
Roatan is for diving first, Riviera May is for resorting first.
AI's on Roatan are small and expensive and little to do besides poolside and roaming the beach and food is limited.
IMHO, best three that meet the above criteria for AI resorts best for the $ for a non-diver in Akumal area are in order Barcelo Maya, Grand Palladium , and Grand Sirenis. The food is better at the last two, the reef is better at Barcelo and the Dressel dive op run by Sergio there is top notch. Tim at Blue Experience is top notch small operator out of Sirenis, but will pick up at Palladium and goes out of Akumal. Check out prices on Expedia or Bookit for combo with flight typically under $1000USD for 8 nights/pp if you can book two months ahead and figure $35/tank. We typically pay $1200 for 10 nights out of Newark direct flight. All three have nightly shows that are quite good, many poolside activities, lots of toys on the beach.

I have trip reports for all on Tripadvisor, but can't find them now ...can dig them up on request

Stew

I agree with Scubadada - any of the Seven Mile Beach resorts on Grand Cayman would be a pricier option. The advantage they have is about 20 dive operations there pick up every morning/afternoon so you leave the rental car free for her use. Also - 2 dives and you're back b4 noon. It's also excellent wall diving. with over 365 dive sites. Red Sail Watersports is at both the Westin and the Marriott if they're of interest. Here's the stuff she can do while you're gone. Cayman Islands Activities | Cayman Islands Vacation, Cayman | Cayman Islands

There's also a few combo dive/snorkel options like Stingray City or the Kittiwake. Might promote her interest towards diving while snorkeling in crystal clear water. Seven Mile Beach is a very nice beach lined with resorts and condo complexes.

You've already done Curacao which is the other great beaches/diving location. Provo in Turks/Caicos is a smaller version of Cayman with Grace Bay Beach being one of the nicest in the world but the better diving will mean you're gone all day till 3pm or so.

Don't take her to Bonaire - she'll be bored. Roatan either - they're too small and divecentric unless she's easily amused. Roatan is also buggy and muggy much of the year.

And no liiveaboards unless she's prepared to listen to the days dives recounted endlessly nightly.
And lounge on deck in the middle of nowhere while you're gone.

Jamaica has been over fished for decades. Plus being on the beach there means being hustled daily. Wouldn't be for me.

I agree with Scubadada - any of the Seven Mile Beach resorts on Grand Cayman would be a pricier option. The advantage they have is about 20 dive operations there pick up every morning/afternoon so you leave the rental car free for her use. Also - 2 dives and you're back b4 noon. It's also excellent wall diving. with over 365 dive sites. Red Sail Watersports is at both the Westin and the Marriott if they're of interest. Here's the stuff she can do while you're gone. Cayman Islands Activities | Cayman Islands Vacation, Cayman | Cayman Islands

There's also a few combo dive/snorkel options like Stingray City or the Kittiwake. Might promote her interest towards diving while snorkeling in crystal clear water. Seven Mile Beach is a very nice beach lined with resorts and condo complexes.

You've already done Curacao which is the other great beaches/diving location. Provo in Turks/Caicos is a smaller version of Cayman with Grace Bay Beach being one of the nicest in the world but the better diving will mean you're gone all day till 3pm or so.

Don't take her to Bonaire - she'll be bored. Roatan either - they're too small and divecentric unless she's easily amused. Roatan is also buggy and muggy much of the year. And no liiveaboards unless she's prepared to listen to the days dives recounted endlessly nightly.
And lounge on deck in the middle of nowhere while you're gone.

Jamaica has been over fished for decades. Plus being on the beach there means being hustled daily. Wouldn't be for me.
Couples Tower Isle in Jamaica has a much smaller beach, but it's 100% private. No vendors. The vendors don't bother me on the beaches there. It's part of the ambiance, and they all pretty much just move on if you simply shake your head.

Anyway, different things for different people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom