Any good Caribbean dive resorts for a non-diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC10Chief

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just started diving a couple of months ago when I was in Curacao for work. I got certified there and did a bunch of diving. I was hooked instantly! I just finished up my AOW cert and will be doing Nitrox class next week. My wife has zero interest in diving. She loves the beach and the Caribbean though! I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean for a diving trip where she could go and do her own thing while I'm out diving. Any recommendations? Boat trips, shore diving, I don't care. I just need to go diving!

I just started diving a couple of months ago when I was in Curacao for work. I got certified there and did a bunch of diving. I was hooked instantly! I just finished up my AOW cert and will be doing Nitrox class next week. My wife has zero interest in diving. She loves the beach and the Caribbean though! I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean for a diving trip where she could go and do her own thing while I'm out diving. Any recommendations? Boat trips, shore diving, I don't care. I just need to go diving!
My wife and I love Couples Swept Away in Jamaica. Dive boat leaves from the beach twice a day. It's a good crew and all scuba and equipment is included with the resort. She can see the boat from her beach chair as she lounges on the best beach you could ever imagine.

Awesome! I'll look at that right now. I think that part of the problem with her, is that we live in Oklahoma. Scuba diving in Oklahoma isn't very enjoyable. When I had to do my deep dive for my AOW cert, I had to drive two hours to a lake out east. One of the clearest in the state. Visibility was three feet at best. Below 50 feet, it was pitch black. I went to 80 feet. It was also very cold. She would NOT like that. The rest was done in a local pond. the perch that were swimming in the pond were biting my ears and lips! She would definitely not like that. HA! If she could do that intro to scuba thing somewhere where the water is clear, she'd maybe go for it. Anyways, I'm going to look at Jamaica right now.

I think the trick will be to find a quality resort/dive op that has alot of non diving things to do in an area that offers the same. A place with a good spa, as well as a nice beach, good food and shopping, etc. Ideally you get her to do a discover scuba when there and she has a blast.

Good luck!

Dang, you went through torture getting certified....lol!...plenty of dive destinations your wife would like....Costa Rica, Panama, Roatan....the list is really endless if see likes beaches.

Awesome! I'll look at that right now. I think that part of the problem with her, is that we live in Oklahoma. Scuba diving in Oklahoma isn't very enjoyable. When I had to do my deep dive for my AOW cert, I had to drive two hours to a lake out east. One of the clearest in the state. Visibility was three feet at best. Below 50 feet, it was pitch black. I went to 80 feet. It was also very cold. She would NOT like that. The rest was done in a local pond. the perch that were swimming in the pond were biting my ears and lips! She would definitely not like that. HA! If she could do that intro to scuba thing somewhere where the water is clear, she'd maybe go for it. Anyways, I'm going to look at Jamaica right now.
My wife had zero interest. She was certified at Couples last February.

I loved Anse Chastanet. It was gorgeous topside & the diving was quite nice. Tons of other places as well like Grand Cayman would also work. However, a different approach might be something like Sail Dives. I haven't been diving with them yet, but think I may do so soon. I came across them at a dive show & I really liked talking to the guy. They offer relaxed diving on board a catamaran & are set-up for divers as well as non-diver spouses.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Curacao itself by a good choice? Shore and boat diving, sandy beaches, larger & I'm told more topside stuff to do vs. Bonaire. If it was lacking in some way, explain, because we'd need to know considering other destinations.

Seems like Grand Cayman would be an obvious, albeit somewhat expensive, choice. St. Croix might work.

In the U.S. you've got options. Later, when you've got more dives and experience, keep in mind both Jupiter, Florida and Morehead City, North Carolina have beaches and boat diving. California is a colder water option. There's good diving & topside fun to be had in the U.S.

Richard.

We went to Bermuda, where my non-diving son could go Jetskiing and various other action-adventure type activities from Kings Wharf. But there is also great shopping there too, and Snorkel Beach as well. I always recommend it since We got Rescue Certified there.

Back
Top Bottom