Any good Caribbean dive resorts for a non-diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since Barbados was mentioned, and I think it's one of their free access articles even though it's older (Sept. 2011 issue), Undercurrent did an article on Hightide Watersports and Gibbs Bay Inn, Barbados. It came to mind because of this line from the article - "The time comes in every diver's life when he must at least once vacation to a nondiving destination to please the family. Barbados, I discovered, fills the bill -- and you can get a few decent dives as well. If the white sand beaches don't impress you, then the palms swaying in the breeze flanked by colorful blooming trees surely will." Also "Barbados is an ideal spot for a family vacation, especially when there are nondivers. It is one of the few Caribbean islands with a large variety of well-developed possibilities, so you don't have to feel guilty about diving."

I haven't dove Barbados; I've been twice briefly on cruise ship stops. The ocean surrounding the island viewed from water craft is very beautiful (only St. Martin do I hold (slightly) superior), it does indeed have white sand beach (that's where our little girl was in the ocean the 1st time), and I've seen some reports on Scuba Board and some people like it.

I've got a question about Barbados. Bonaire & Curacao are often praised for being below the 'hurricane belt,' so travel there in the Fall (e.g.: September) isn't as risky as, oh, say, to Roatan, and that same far southern location means winter water temp.s only dip slightly (as opposed to the Caymans, which I read get cooler in winter, and the Bahamas were winter water gets cold). Barbados is similar in placement, but it's east of the main chain of Caribbean islands.

Wonder how Barbados stacks up for year round warmth and reliably benign weather?

Richard.

...Wonder how Barbados stacks up for year round warmth and reliably benign weather?

I've been to Barbados topside twice (February & May) & loved it. February is supposedly in their colder season & May the beginning of their warmer season. Hurricanes rarely hit the island & temperatures stay between the mid-70s & mid-80s (23.8C/29.4C) year-round. I really didn't notice a difference between my two trips.

I wasn't able to dive either of the trips, but was snorkeling & sailing both times. When I went in May 2015, I found insane amounts of Sargassum seaweed on the East & South coast beaches so ended up having to go to the West side to enjoy the water. I do not know how much of an issue this is while diving or whether this will occur this year, but some articles have noted it could have an affect on marine life so it's something to look into & think about when you're deciding where to stay on the island.

Perhaps have a look at Providenciales in Turks and Caicos. The Grace Bay area is quite nice and Grace Bay has been rated as one of the best beaches in the Caribbean.

How far out is diving? One downside I think I read about turks & caicos is that most boat rides are 45min+ out so a lot of people prefer liveaboards.

How far out is diving? One downside I think I read about turks & caicos is that most boat rides are 45min+ out so a lot of people prefer liveaboards.
You are correct about the long boat rides for most diving on the main Turks & Caicos island of Provodenciales. On Grand Turk rides are generally 20 minutes or less. My friends who have been to Provo and Grand Turk say the diving is better on GT. I have been there many times and love it, but I have never been diving on Provo.

Of course, you have to get to GT....That involves catching a smaller plane at the Provo airport and making a 30 minute flight. I use Caicos Express Airways.

You are correct about the long boat rides for most diving on the main Turks & Caicos island of Provodenciales. On Grand Turk rides are generally 20 minutes or less. My friends who have been to Provo and Grand Turk say the diving is better on GT. I have been there many times and love it, but I have never been diving on Provo.

Of course, you have to get to GT....That involves catching a smaller plane at the Provo airport and making a 30 minute flight. I use Caicos Express Airways.
Yep. Allthough the ride out to the "better" dive sites is 45 minutes plus the ride to the Grace bay sites is 15-20 minutes. As a rookie Caribbean dive it is still enough to blow my mind. Saw the biggest barracuda I've ever seen there.

I just started diving a couple of months ago when I was in Curacao for work. I got certified there and did a bunch of diving. I was hooked instantly! I just finished up my AOW cert and will be doing Nitrox class next week. My wife has zero interest in diving. She loves the beach and the Caribbean though! I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean for a diving trip where she could go and do her own thing while I'm out diving. Any recommendations? Boat trips, shore diving, I don't care. I just need to go diving!
I have commented on Grand Turk a couple of times in this thread,but I didn't see anyone mentioning Cozumel. If you stay downtown (e.g., at the Casa Mexicana--excellent breakfast with the room--where we have stayed every year for 10-12 years), you have ready access to cabs, lots of good and bad shopping, tours to Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, and excellent restaurants. There are plenty of snorkeling tours offered, and a do-it-yourself snorkel trail at the park at Chankanaab (long cab ride $$ and entry fee $). In addition there are cooking and craft classes to be had--see some local newsletters like "Cozumel Insider" and "Cozumel My Cozumel," as well as other threads on Scubaboard.

If you stay in one of the all-inclusives in the south or the north, you are somewhat isolated except for expensive cab rides. We have been to Cozumel probably 20 times and I still thoroughly enjoy staying downtown. Our group usually has a couple of non-divers who do also. Some of the smaller dive operators will let snorkelers come along if the water is calm enough and their boats are not full.

I won't comment on the diving--there are plenty of threads here that do that. I will only say that, even with the crowds at times, it is still among the best and most reasonably priced places in the Caribbean Basin.

Are those daily rates in US dollars? $400 to over $1000 per person per day? Am I missing something?

East Caribbean Dollar most likely. $125-$416 USD/night depending on room and dining options at today's exchange rates.

According to this site the prices are in US dollars. I think that Anse Chastanet is a very high-end resort but you might find a package or promotion or save money by traveling off season, and there are other nice options on St. Lucia.

Promotions | St Lucia Resort Deals | Anse Chastanet Resort

"...To add breakfast and dinner, please add US 90 per person per day. You can also add an all-inclusive meals and drinks package to your room rate, at US 170 per person daily..."

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom