any frog kickers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug wrote...

I just haven't seen it myself while diving with others.... and I usually check behind to see what is happening.

I am not talking about sculling around slowly or drifting with a current or moving through a confined space.

It seems that when we are using the Frog kick and covering ground... other kicks stir up the bottom at the same pace.
Now I understand. I haven't caught myself stirring up silt when I practice the modified flutter, but I don't use it for serious motoring nor am I likely as low above the surface as you tech guys go.

Still monkeyin' around with the technique toolbox....

I don't think I have used a flutter kick in several years. Frog all the way. Jets all the way.
Eric

Taught my daughter to dive this summer, as far as she knows there is no such thing as a flutter kick.:D

SP jet fins or turtles if you've got fat feet!:wacko:

Dave D

wow, who woulda thunk there were so many out there :)

guess i haven't seen too many tech divers where i dive - so wasn't aware it was the 'kick of choice'.

i'll have to try a pair of jet fins - anyone know if you can get them small enough to fit womens size five feet (probably about a mens 3)? wait, seem to remember reading something about small size fins in a previous post - if its a repeat question, sorry.

As a side note:

pdoege once bubbled...
My knee kills me when I use a frog kick. If I do one kick I am in pain for hours. A few minutes of kicking will sideline me for a week or so.

Ouch!

My physical therapist said, "Yeah, well, don't do that".

Sigh.
pdoege - i am a PT :) "don't do that" is good advice... BUT...

a simple ACL seems like an unlikely culprit for that kind of flare up given the body mechanics of a frog kick. have your PT or surgeon check you for a MCL laxity or medial meniscal injury (or both) as well. a simple ACL would be more likely to give you problems with continuous scisor or flutter (think similar pain to what you get going down stairs) - where as the ACL combined with one of the above would get you with the rotational/medial-lateral stabilty requriements in the frog kick. my other thought, after ruling out the above would be that you may need to work more with your PT on dynamic strengthening/co-contraction single leg stance and even plyometric activities.

just a thought... :)
lorien

Lorien,

You need to go to a Scuba Pro dealer with the booties you normally wear and try on some fins. They make Medium, Large, and X-Large jets. You cannot buy them at an on line store. But you may find some on e-bay. However, try them on first. I originally used large jets. But had problems with foot cramps. I had trouble finding booties for my wide feet and attributed the problem with tight booties. I wear 4E New Balance Sneakers. I finally found some wide booties and they would not fit in the foot pocket of the large jets. So, I bought X-Large and no more cramps.

DennisW once bubbled...
Lorien,

You need to go to a Scuba Pro dealer with the booties you normally wear and try on some fins. They make Medium, Large, and X-Large jets. You cannot buy them at an on line store. But you may find some on e-bay.

I bought my Jet Fins through Leisure Pro. Is that not considered an online store? :confused:

Proof positive that you can buy Jets online. :mean: Lorien, looks like the smallest they have are mediums. You may want to check on this same link for the US Divers Rocket. If I remember right, they make them in one size fits all. That one size happened to be too small for my size 10 feet.

Jet Fins Online

:D

I thought, obviously incorrectly, that SP would not allow their products to be sold on line. In any case, I would still go try them on before spending any money.

Thanks guys for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom