Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i sold my 30 cube ponys sometime ago. for reference i bought one used and one new. there was a significant difference in prices. i remember the used one was 80.

The pony was great for making ocean ascents. I switched to it when I started up. In my way of thinking, i still maintained redundancy, and was able to extend my bottom time by 30 cubes. This way I got some service out of it, instead of it just being luggage

My objective was to finish the dive with a total of 600 psi as opposed to 600 psi in my primary tank plus a full pony

Mike you might want to consider getting a old back pack. It would have everything . I use one when diving for golf balls to get rid of the extra fllotation of the BC. Also I have 2lb and 5lb molds, also have couple 5 gal buckets of lead.

4/1/2012 Trip Report

Well, I was able to move some things around and meet up with the guys on Sunday to do a day of diving in the Edisto River. Sure was good to meet Vincent and Brian, look forward to diving with you guys again. We need to hit the Edisto later in the summer, it is a completely different river.

There was Lee, Pond Skipper (Vinson), Brian, Capt. Phill (Scubadaddee), and myself.

The current was still moving really good and this time around I used a mushroom anchor and my new stainless steel spike. It worked great once I got to the bottom but on our second dive, I had a mishap and paid dearly for it, more on that later.

First dive wasn't too bad but was not producing like you would think since there was a lot of gravel. I did score an ear bone, some misc. teeth and petrified wood.

Second dive, I decided to use the hookah line and I also had the mushroom anchor tried to my BC on a foot long rope. I entered in off the side of the boat by rolling head first. Note to self: NEVER EVER EVER do a head first roll into the water with a mushroom anchor tied to your BC. Why you ask? well, as I leaned forward the anchor went out and as I entered the water the anchor came back and hit me in the nuts so hard, I felt like a midget sucker punched me in the nads. I had two immediate reactions and the guys reading this that have been jacked in the balls hard will know this, but I felt like throwing up and I also felt like I was going to pass out. As funny as the situation sounded I knew with the current this could possibly be a bad situation real fast. The current had already taken me past the boat and I hit branches from an under water tree and my legs stayed and my upper body rolled back, so I rolled with it and over so that I could face the way I was heading and lucky for me there was an over hanging branch so I grabbed for it and was able to hold on. The guys had to drop out a granny line for me and they hauled my butt back to the boat.

Now of course they were worried about me and asked what happened and when I told them what had happened I thought Phill was going to fall out of the boat he was laughing so hard. All I knew is it felt like I had burning coals for my boys and they also felt like they were shoved up to my kidneys. I am fine but sore today and a little bruised up but here, lol

I gave it a rest for a little bit and then I went back in and found some more goodies. I did score a killer 3-7/8" Angy that was missing just the corner of one root and I figured this thing might clean up really well. It cleaned up to a cool light brown/orange root with a cream enamel tooth. Sharp serrations and a thick bourlette. I am really thinking of maybe getting this one restored.

I have also added some pics of some of the past larger Angustidens teeth I have found in the Edisto for your enjoyment.

Teeth and partial fossilized antler
lot1.jpg

Ear bones and string ray plates
lot2.jpg

Petrified wood, barnacles, and partial horse tooth
lot3.jpg

the Angy
As found in the river, thumb is covering up the missing lobe
photo1-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Cleaned up
photo.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Here is a chub that I found also
chub1.jpg

chub2.jpg

And here are some past Edisto River finds
(a couple of Phill's teeth)
photo2.jpg

6_18trip1.jpg

My teeth
these are all 4" I have one more that is not in the picture that looks like the one in the middle
SAM_0941.jpg

Hows this for a shamer
SAM_0944.jpg

1.5" Beni
15Beni.jpg

How about this for a tiny angy
babyangy2.jpg

babyangy3.jpg

babyangy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the posting Mike. I will post up later this week. Been working my Facebook postings

I was really thrilled to see you guys when I drove up in the am. Nothing like seeing a group of hard core fossilers passing around Meg teeth and ready to go diving. I was so surprised because I did not know anyone but Phil and I were coming. NOTHING in life compares to being part of a team. The day was already made for me. Spanish moss, shade trees, slow flowing beautiful river, functional boat, tons of scuba gear, and a boat load of guys that would rather hunt fossils than eat.

deep south hard core fossilers
100_9864.jpg

phil, mike, brian, vincent

here is what it looks like

here is what it sounds like (this was unintentional. the middle sounds like a bar fight. warning... some colorful language)

Is that a GW or Mako tooth there DiveWolf? you definitely have good eyes if you are seeing teeth that small diving. I found two barracuda teeth this weekend diving but they were too small for my mesh bag so I put them in my glove but lost them both.

I found three small Edisto river teeth (pathetic...i know, but ya gotta take the good with the bad) over the past two weeks. I want to photo and post but right now the camera battery is dead. Can't ever remember being without camera batteries, BUT I find myself without batteries. (s happens) Soon as I "remember" to stop and purchase some cam batts, I am gonna do a before and after on these little teeth. I think I am gonna get out the air eraser and work them over before I hit em ever so slightly with the polishing compound and buffer. Mike did you use vinegar on the ones posted above?

Dire... my friend you need light badly. I really would like to get a better look at your specimens. From my vantage point they are almost blacked out

Now Vincent really showed us some stuff this past weekend. I am convinced that hauling a few items to a fossiling site (to show) is a good idea. True fossilers like looking at it all. Speaking of Vince, the following clips are from his collection. Hope you enjoy. I know I sure did.

Hold on let me go get a towel to wipe up all the drool... LOL.. Sweet stuff there man!!! Ill post this weeks finds from Venice Fl later this weekend.. I'm being optimistic! Good Stuff Lee!

For some reason last night, my brain allowed me access to "discoveries from past experiences". The fast water we found last Saturday made me start thinking: hanging onto the bottom is something you have addressed in the past and you have already found a resolve.

Here is what works best for me.

Weight oneself heavy.

I tried many many spikes over the years and always found them to be too long, not heavy enough to penetrate, difficult to hold onto. They put too much stress on my wrist and arm when out in front of me, and i could not get them under me due the length sticking out of the bottom.

I found the claw in the photo works great for me. The vertical length is perfect. I can fold my arm and place it up against my chest with the prongs in the sand. The moment it hits something solid, you will stop moving backwards in the current. It eliminates practically ALL muscle strain and I can hold on, in a current, literally for an hour.

The important part is that the handle goes up against ones forearm. The arrow points to this.

Mike I want you to try this. Whether I go with you or not I would like you to take this tool and give it a whirl.

It works and it works well!

claw1.jpg

That's an interesting method. Ice-climbing tools would be a good option, usually aluminum or TI handles and steel picks/adze heads plus they have a hole in the head for a leash, which would allow you to use both hands in current and still be attached to the tool. Here's a link to an image of one I just pulled from a google search for ice climbing adze.
Cassin X-Alp Ice Axe

I don't know if you need the handle against your forearm like that for stability but if you don't, putting a leash on it that you then cinch down on your wrist will allow freedom of movement and use of your hand (for short durations) if you want it.

That's an interesting method. Ice-climbing tools would be a good option, usually aluminum or TI handles and steel picks/adze heads plus they have a hole in the head for a leash, which would allow you to use both hands in current and still be attached to the tool. Here's a link to an image of one I just pulled from a google search for ice climbing adze.
Cassin X-Alp Ice Axe

I don't know if you need the handle against your forearm like that for stability but if you don't, putting a leash on it that you then cinch down on your wrist will allow freedom of movement and use of your hand (for short durations) if you want it.

I thought of the same thing. Using a climbing axe that is.

I will have to purchase a potato rake and shorten the shaft down and get ready to do some black water diving-Savannah style, LOL

Hey Vinson, I meant to ask you if the diving conditions down there have currents like we dis this past weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom