Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to be on Phil's boat on Sunday the 1st. Unless Phil switched the days up on me. I am targeting the Edisto. Nothing wrong with the Cooper. I have just done the Cooper a LOT and I like the new territory the Edisto brings. I was actually stuffin my dive bag earlier tonight. I will grab some rental tanks Saturday. I wish Mike could make it also, but alas, i understand. I have had a full career, raised two kids, changed jobs, built, bought, and sold homes, the whole 9 yards. Can't spend all ones time diving. Family matters.

If the water will just slow down a bit. Here is a clip of what it felt like last weekend.

Okay.... it wasn't any were NEAR that bad. But it felt like it!

Will be good to see you again Pond Skipper. Will never forget that 10 lb Meg you put in my hand. What a MONSTER.

Edisto
100_9756.jpg

100_9757.jpg

100_9741.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think I am washed for the weekend, just too much stuff going on.

Lee, I was at Walmart tonight and I picked up a 15 lb mushroom anchor for $20 dollars. Also, my government job was completed today at work so I now have a solid one piece stainless steel river spike. I will bring it home tomorrow and post up some pics of it.

I wish y'all luck and a safe and great time in the river.

a spike with a 15 lb handle... i am starting to buy into it. Mike you have my creative side is percolating. did i mention i have patents. ( < brag moment) Since your thigh is your largest muscle, how about 8 lbs per leg, snapped in place with a "strap and snap" similar to the mid section BC "strap and snap". Easy to remove. Easy to ditch. Easy to crawl on the bottom. Leaves hands free. you also have me sold on your helmet. you have a good product in your helmet. the more i am exposed to it the more i realize it.

okay Mike you got me to thinking about this upcoming weekend on the river bottom.

i am going to use steel tanks (+5lbs) instead of aluminum like i had last weekend. I will add +6 lbs to my weight bags. I will purchase ankle weights from Dicks Sporting goods and add +6 to +12 lbs of ditchable weight. I will start with 6lbs. I will take my claw of which I have found over the years works best for me personally to bite and hold the bottom directly under my chest.

yeppers... think i got it

Last edited:
Well now Lee, weights on the thighs huh? sounds lie an interesting concept. I would be willing to beta test it for ya, lol.

Oh, and if you want to try out my helmet, you are welcome. It has two, 220 lumen Dorcy lights on flex line. You can adjust the angle of them after you get set.

Phill, what happened with my dive torch was I had the batteries fully charged but in my packing, I accidentally grabbed the second set of batteries that were not charged. I thought I had both sets but that is why it didn't last long.....well especially since it is 1200 lumens max.

I claim any Mako's and Mammoth/Mastodon teeth found this weekend. I am just going to say that I "lost" them because of the current, and I would appreciate it if y'all find them for me. Mako teeth were all over 3"~!!!!LMAO!!!!

For some reason last night, my brain allowed me access to "discoveries from past experiences". The fast water we found last Saturday made me start thinking: hanging onto the bottom is something you have addressed in the past and you have already found a resolve.

Here is what works best for me.

Weight oneself heavy.

I tried many many spikes over the years and always found them to be too long, not heavy enough to penetrate, difficult to hold onto. They put too much stress on my wrist and arm when out in front of me, and i could not get them under me due the length sticking out of the bottom.

I found the claw in the photo works great for me. The vertical length is perfect. I can fold my arm and place it up against my chest with the prongs in the sand. The moment it hits something solid, you will stop moving backwards in the current. It eliminates practically ALL muscle strain and I can hold on, in a current, literally for an hour.

The important part is that the handle goes up against ones forearm. The arrow points to this.

Mike I want you to try this. Whether I go with you or not I would like you to take this tool and give it a whirl.

It works and it works well!

claw1.jpg

Talked with Lee for a little bit, I am in Phill and I will let you know if a guy from work will go to. He is a cave diver like Tony is but he has been wanting to try his hand at fossiling. I'll call you later tonight.

Hey Tony, after talking to a co worker who is a ver experienced cave diver I have respect for you guys. I honestly do not know if I could do it. I mean if I had to I would but I do not know if I would feel comfortable doing it. I can definitely see how it can be dangerous even for the experienced. Do you ever video record your dives? I will be getting a GoPro this year and shooting video to share with everyone.

As requested...I'm in the red BC. this was at Peacock coming from Olsen's sink.
Mar 5, 2012 5:37pm | Facebook

Cool, thanks for sharing Tony. Why do you do the side kicks? to exert less energy? do not stir up sediment?

Here is Phill, Lee, and myself going out on a dive
us2.jpg

I believe this is the South Carolina bird. A little known fact, this bird barely beat out the mosquito as the state bird, LMAO~!!!!!
birds.jpg

not too many teeth, but then again we were dealing with other issues
teeth.jpg

Finally, my new one piece stainless steel spike. I had this turned down from a piece of round stock.

The one use all the time is the brass handle one on the yellow landyard.
photo1-2.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Here are some pics of when the first spike was made
riverspike2.jpg

riverspike.jpg

Great video Tony. Like the clarity. Like the stillness of the water. It never was for me. Too much risk for my tastes. Had a pal that loved it. I am getting some age on me, but while I still can I will do rivers and offshore dives. At some point will call it quits. Not there yet.

Mike the spikes are works of art. Mine was identical in form and shape but i made my handle out of Delrin plastic. I like the metal handle better. You are going to be amazed at how well this dumb little claw of mine works. Thanks for posting the photos!

Lee, I have a claw pick like yours, I just need to find it and give that a try as well. I was also thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of this mushroom anchor, thread it and make a short spike about 3-4" long and thread the end. That way I can install or remove it and I would have a short spike with a heavy 15 lb handle, lol

I need to purchase more weight or buy a mold and make some. I was thinking of making a custom weight suspenders that I would use with a hookah and have a pony bottle on the back for a back up. I am going to hit a couple of dive shops in Orlando when we go there next month so I need to figure out what I can talk the wifey into getting, lol One thing for sure, I really want to get a drysuit this year. for the colder months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom