Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollis Prism 2. I just never got the chance to dive it enough to stay current on it, so it's up for sale at the Add Helium consignment page.

A 6 cubic foot pony bottle. Too small and doesn't get used. Would feel guilty selling it to someone else.

Useful for filling car tires. I had a slow leak once; kept it in the trunk with a inflator adaptor hose. Saved me a few times...

Do you have any equipment buying regrets ? What equipment did you buy and realized afterwards you had made a mistake ? Why was it a mistake ?

Every drysuit I've ever had was a BARE, save one. I bought a Mares XR, which was a lemon. I sent it back and got another XR, which was a lemon, which I sent back. They wanted to replace it a third time but I got all recalcitrant about it and they reimbursed the purchase price. Actually, this was very sporting of Mares and I was quite satisfied with how they dealt with it.

.... Then I took the money they reimbursed me and bought a BARE drysuit. I'm happy a pig in mud now that I went back to BARE. I'll never buy another Mares drysuit.

R..

Every drysuit I've ever had was a BARE, save one. I bought a Mares XR, which was a lemon. I sent it back and got another XR, which was a lemon, which I sent back. They wanted to replace it a third time but I got all recalcitrant about it and they reimbursed the purchase price. Actually, this was very sporting of Mares and I was quite satisfied with how they dealt with it.

.... Then I took the money they reimbursed me and bought a BARE drysuit. I'm happy a pig in mud now that I went back to BARE. I'll never buy another Mares drysuit.

R..

Hi Diver0001,
may I ask what was the issue with the two Mares XR drysuits you sent back ?
I'm considering buying one because I can get a staff discounted price on Mares gear, but I hear mixed opinions

Thanks !

Never buy a wetsuit off eBay. Turned out it was a custom made suit for a specific person, who must have been shaped like a balloon, because that is what the farmer john part looked like on me. And the beavertail flared out at the hips and let water in.

Shorty wetsuit (really better to cover as much skin as possible)
I got bad sunburn using a shorty in Bermuda, but I still use it for indoor pool finning practice at Hotels.
I did not buy a dive skin as I prefer two piece rash guard pants and tops.

They simply did not work for me and my diving. Expensive, not powerful enough and required an odd kick to use IMO. I really wanted to like them but after owning I quickly moved on.

Wow. I love my force fins. I bought mine off of eBay for a lot less than retail. I no longer flutter kick with my thighs. I do a full bicycle kick. Folks on the boat like to joke about them, until they see how fast I can go. BUT.... the real reason I like them is that I don't get the blisters on the top of my toes like I used to with my previous fins.

Hi Diver0001,
may I ask what was the issue with the two Mares XR drysuits you sent back ?
I'm considering buying one because I can get a staff discounted price on Mares gear, but I hear mixed opinions

Thanks !

Mares said it was a bad batch of the trilaminate material. The short story is that the suits were tea bags. Every other dive they sprang a new leak somewhere. One of the suits also had a cuff seal that basically fell off in the middle of a dive. It just tore away from where it was glued to the suit.

They say that the problems have been solved and I know a few people who have suits that don't have these problems. After trying twice I gave up and Mares was very good about reimbursing me. On the up side if it's true that the problems were solved then it's a very comfortable suit to wear.

R..

Back
Top Bottom