Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use mine to make PB&J sandwiches during surface intervals, or to cut fruit and cheese.

My biggest waste of money on gear was my Scubapro Everdry 4 drysuit. I can't seem to get the neck seal properly seated consistently. Even when I think I have it right it sometimes ends up leaking. This past weekend that resulted in me getting completely soaked on my first dive. I changed long underwear and then the damn thing leaked again on the second dive. No third dive for me that day :(

I'm getting a trilam suit with latex or silicone seals next season. I hate that damn Everdry.
Why not replace the neoprene neck seal with something like a SiTech system?

Can you say why you regret buying them? They do have their fans, so i wouldn’t mind hearing the other side for a balanced perspective.

They simply did not work for me and my diving. Expensive, not powerful enough and required an odd kick to use IMO. I really wanted to like them but after owning I quickly moved on.

In short, anything besides Halcyon, SANTI and Dive-X

Drysuits, have had a few, service sucked (local and not so local brands)

Undergarments, again, quite a few. Some were OK, but the santi stuff works.

Lights, again same boat. Halcyon was better in quality, efficiency and light output with HID and LED versions

Wings, same. Gone through a few. All are still in use with Halcyon parts (inflator hoses).

End of the day, aside from my sidemount rig, regs and backup lights, it's the expensive stuff or bust.

_R

Do you have any equipment buying regrets ? What equipment did you buy and realized afterwards you had made a mistake ? Why was it a mistake ?

I started diving in 2001. My first gear was purchased new from an LDS where I lived. In 2003 I started making purchases from LeisurePro and later from both LP and Adorama. The majority of the the gear has been fine except for BCD's. I have purchased 3 new BCD's from LeisurPro since 2003. The first was an Oceanic QLR cold water unit. It started leaking in less than 2yrs with less than 10dives. I always rinse the bladder with fresh water and hanging dry. All my BCD's are stored inside clean and ready for use with enough air to prevent bladder from sticking to itself. I sent the QLR to Oceanic who found a hole under the back pad and behind the back plate. This is a very unusual place for damage since it isn't easily accessible. They would not cover repair so I threw it out. I ordered a new Sherwood Avid CQR2 in 2011 and have about 5-7dives on it. Over Labor day this year I did some diving in Catalina. I rinsed my gear at the hotel and then when I got home I rinsed and washed it out again. While I had it inflated drying I noticed bubbling at the very top seam where the vest goes around the back of the neck. I put it in the pool to find it leaking all along the top seam. I can't explain how another BCD bladder has failed because my brother who dove in the military and has been diving since 1979 has BCD's over 30yrs old that work just like new. He doesn't even store his stuff inside under humidity and temp control. I wrote a long letter to LeisurePro with a file attached showing over 11K worth of Dive Gear purchased from them. They did nothing but explain that the Mfg's would not cover any leaks on gear over a year old. I explained if they didn't at least partially comp me for a new one I would never purchase another item from their business. I have recommended many friends to LP over the years but now I have second thoughts. Am I being too harsh or are the BCD's they are selling Used or Repurchased demos from another Dive Shop. It makes no sense that 2 brand new BCD's failed in the same way. My original Oceanic Isla still works without fail or leak. I welcome comments because I don't believe as a customer I am being unreasonable. Thanks.

SP Seawing fins, they are not bad but had to buy propper fins for cave and technical diving.
Cressi freediving mask, now a backup mask. They have limited peripheral view

I started diving in 2001. My first gear was purchased new from an LDS where I lived. In 2003 I started making purchases from LeisurePro and later from both LP and Adorama. The majority of the the gear has been fine except for BCD's. I have purchased 3 new BCD's from LeisurPro since 2003. The first was an Oceanic QLR cold water unit. It started leaking in less than 2yrs with less than 10dives. I always rinse the bladder with fresh water and hanging dry. All my BCD's are stored inside clean and ready for use with enough air to prevent bladder from sticking to itself. I sent the QLR to Oceanic who found a hole under the back pad and behind the back plate. This is a very unusual place for damage since it isn't easily accessible. They would not cover repair so I threw it out. I ordered a new Sherwood Avid CQR2 in 2011 and have about 5-7dives on it. Over Labor day this year I did some diving in Catalina. I rinsed my gear at the hotel and then when I got home I rinsed and washed it out again. While I had it inflated drying I noticed bubbling at the very top seam where the vest goes around the back of the neck. I put it in the pool to find it leaking all along the top seam. I can't explain how another BCD bladder has failed because my brother who dove in the military and has been diving since 1979 has BCD's over 30yrs old that work just like new. He doesn't even store his stuff inside under humidity and temp control. I wrote a long letter to LeisurePro with a file attached showing over 11K worth of Dive Gear purchased from them. They did nothing but explain that the Mfg's would not cover any leaks on gear over a year old. I explained if they didn't at least partially comp me for a new one I would never purchase another item from their business. I have recommended many friends to LP over the years but now I have second thoughts. Am I being too harsh or are the BCD's they are selling Used or Repurchased demos from another Dive Shop. It makes no sense that 2 brand new BCD's failed in the same way. My original Oceanic Isla still works without fail or leak. I welcome comments because I don't believe as a customer I am being unreasonable. Thanks.

A number of years ago, I tried out a new Sherwood BCD in the pool, at some time as some other BCD's and BP/W. The brand new Sherwood was leaking the same way you've described. I don't recall which particular style only that it was a Sherwood. It was a bit disappointing because I have loved my Sherwood regs for lo these many years.

Zeagle Stiletto - Too heavy and the weight pockets rubs my arms raw when i'm short sleeve diving.

I replaced the Stiletto with an Aqua Lung Outlaw. Would have stayed with that but I started tech diving. I then got an Apeks SS BP with a couple different wings (Single 18lb and 45lb for twinset). I haven't used the Aqua Lung since.

I'm either going to sell or give away my Stiletto. I think I'll keep the Outlaw for the rare opportunity where I need a super lightweight travel BC. For now, the 18lb donut BP/W combo is perfect for warm water carribean diving. Zero extra weight needed.

Dive Rite XT Fins - My first fin purchase. Too heavy, negatively buoyant, and long for my tastes. I swapped them out for Aqua Lung hot shots. Holy smokes those fins are awesome. They are heel strap fins but designed to be worn with bare feet. So super easy to take on/off, super light, and short. The only negative area I really notice is back finning.

For situations where I need to wear a boot (shore diving or colder water) or will be in a wreck where backfinning is a critical safety concern, I'll use the Hollis F2. It's a good compromise for power to weight.

But really for me, the hot shots are where it's at. I had some funny looks one some deep trimix dives with them.... those looks went away after a 30 minute deco drift hang with spot-on buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom