Any elevator technicians on SB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My condo association was recently informed that we may need a "modernization" of our Otis elevator installed in our four unit building. Our elevator service company has been unable to correct problems that began a year or so ago. We've been told we needed repair on the hydraulic system (about $7,500 so far), then a new cable ($5,000) or now a $40,000 "modernization."

We have been shocked by this since our reserve can't cover that and it will require a $10,000 special assessment per unit. There goes my plan to dive the world this winter.

For anyone familiar with elevators, is it "normal" to require a "modernization" after about 25 years in service?

We've also heard that our service contractor will do the job with proprietary parts that will lock us into them for future repairs. We have not been happy with their "service" to date and don't want that to occur.

Feedback from anyone with technical experience with elevators, especially Otis brand, that is willing to comment either in this thread or by PM, is welcome! Very welcome!

Wow, I didn't even know your building had an elevator! What the hell was I takin' the stairs for? Oh, wait, I know... :no:

:wink:

So I could gaze upon your lovely gams, Anna?

My condo association was recently informed that we may need a "modernization" of our Otis elevator installed in our four unit building. Our elevator service company has been unable to correct problems that began a year or so ago. We've been told we needed repair on the hydraulic system (about $7,500 so far), then a new cable ($5,000) or now a $40,000 "modernization."

We have been shocked by this since our reserve can't cover that and it will require a $10,000 special assessment per unit. There goes my plan to dive the world this winter.

For anyone familiar with elevators, is it "normal" to require a "modernization" after about 25 years in service?

We've also heard that our service contractor will do the job with proprietary parts that will lock us into them for future repairs. We have not been happy with their "service" to date and don't want that to occur.

Feedback from anyone with technical experience with elevators, especially Otis brand, that is willing to comment either in this thread or by PM, is welcome! Very welcome!

Hey Dr. Bill,

I am not an elevator technician; however, I have worked in Commercial Property Management for over a decade and worked through many elevator repairs and modifications. Otis elevators are good quality but Otis service fees are about the highest in the industry so hopefully you are using a different service provider for routine maintenance. Otis does use proprietary equipment during new installations or modernizations which mean they have you by the b@lls for future service. I would strongly recommend against using proprietary equipment by any manufacturer and I would not sign a contract longer than a year without verifying and documenting the rates in the contract to ensure they are market. Always inlcude an out clause.

After 25 years, every elevator service company will recommend a modernization to minimize elevator failures. Codes and failure rates will dictate the timing of a modernization so you should be able to properly budget the capital expense of the modernization in a future year unless you have an emergency repair that forces the modernization early. You may still be able to make your trip after all.

On one property, I was able to find a company to repair the "outdated" controller board instead of a complete an unbudgeted $95,000 modification. Three years later, the elevator is still operating fine and the money is now in the budget if needed.

The repairs previously made to your elevator could minimize the expense of the modernization if properly evaluated. The hydraulic system work you listed of $7,500 hopefully replaced the pump, valve and/or tank as one unit which should be able to be used with the modified elevator controls. (a partial modification) The main cable replacement is completed during the mod, and is another item already complete. The controller replacement, door sensors, buttons, smoke detectors and any code required upgrades due to the modifications must be completely understood and competitively bid. Make each contractor provide recommendations as to how soon the modification must occur and ensure any other provider can service the equipment being recommended.

The key here is to have 3 or 4 companies bid the modifications and make sure they are apples to apples bids and all items are addressed. Don’t be afraid to beat them all up over price as this is a big money maker for elevator companies and when they need the business, you will be amazed between the first and final price. They should make money, just not a killing. Be prepared for the “not covered items” as they will bite you during the modification when they note the fine print on how you need to add additional power supply by others, the fire system upgrade, elevator phone, etc. The items not covered can be costly. The controller replacement, door sensors, buttons, fire system are among the other items which will be completed during the modification. The cab interior can be completed at a separate time as you should first focus on the mechanical/electrical changes within the controlling system to control the cost.

You said the elevator was only 25 years old so you should not need to upgrade from single bottom jack to double bottom jack. I believe hydraulic elevators prior to 1975 needed to have the jack upgraded due to potential hydraulic oil leakage which can turn into an extremely costly project with the EPA and ground contamination. Have this verified, but you should be OK.

Hope you find this information helpful,

Keith

Ha! now I figured, ah, he's never going to get a good answer if any answer at all on the subject, which is why I looked to see why such a question was even posted. Boy was I wrong, great answer Keith and thanks.

Many thanks, Keith... I did miss this earlier.

Our biggest problem here on Catalina is that so few contractors will come out here to do the work. The extra cost of boat transportation and housing here on the island makes it pretty difficult for most companies to give us a reasonable bid... or to even offer to bid on the repair work at all.

I'm going to send your suggestions off to the rest of our HOA board. Greatly appreciated... especially since the lovely lady diver in Manila still seems interested!

I was wondering about that, particularly since there seems to have been some consolidation in the elevator industry. You might want to check the hotels in town to see who does their service, just to know who's willing to come.

Commercial and Industrial Work as well as the rest of the industry is so slow right now that you stand to find alot more people willing to go try new things and territories. Odds are you will get a very competitive bid, regardless of location. Just make sure you check out the low guy carefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom