Any changes in security situation in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiggrr:
We'll be in Bonaire in 3 weeks!! Whoo hooo!!

When diving up north (around Karpata), you don't have to go through Rincon to get back to your hotel. Make the right just past Karpata toward Rincon, the turn right at the first dirt road, it'll take you up over the mountain by the radio transmitters and drop you back on the main road south of where it becomes one way. Saves you lots of time.

Have a blast!

When diving up north (around Karpata), you don't have to go through Rincon to get back to your hotel. Make the right just past Karpata toward Rincon, the turn right at the first dirt road, it'll take you up over the mountain by the radio transmitters and drop you back on the main road south of where it becomes one way. Saves you lots of time.

Have a blast!

Ahhhhh you are always a plethora of information Walter!!
Much appreciated and we certainly will!!

A little more on the shortcut. Unless it has changed it is very rough at the beginning, if you are not in a truck do not try it. I can't imagine a car with enough ground clearance to cross some of the ruts.

I wouldn't leave keys in the truck, but we left towels, our $10 sunglasses, a couple of gallon jugs of water (1 frozen for drinking), a mesh bag, 2 pairs of cheapo flip flops, a couple of t-shirts, and a bottle of defog. Never had anything touched that we're aware of, and had something gone missing...oh well.

This time next week I will be on Bon , my valuables tucked inside my Dacor UL750 (dive lite converted to underwater safe) , my junk waiting in my beat up rental truck with windows down . No , I am not worried . If anyone on island needs my flip flops that are being held together with duct tape , my twenty year old frayed t shirt , feel free to take .
Yes , common sense prevails , but I do not have a lot to worry about , I would never take a laptop computer on a dive trip , I go on these trips to leave that stuff at home .
Yes I am a little giddy right now knowing that this time next week I will literally be in the water or tanning at red slave between dives , no worries . These threads do get old but I must admit , I was totally taken in by all the "crime hype on bonaire" , until I went there . I will be thinking of all you good SB's while I am floating by those beautiful reefs .

Have a blast!

Or you could act like some of the locals and just drive the wrong way on the one way portion. : )

................................Yes I am a little giddy right now knowing that this time next week I will literally be in the water or tanning at red slave between dives , no worries . These threads do get old but I must admit , I was totally taken in by all the "crime hype on bonaire" , until I went there . I will be thinking of all you good SB's while I am floating by those beautiful reefs .

There are those of us who could quickly learn to hate you for such statements, one of the symptoms of PBD. :)
Have fun, dive safe and watch the sunset with an Amstel in hand for me, I'll do the same for you in July.

Hey Herman , I would be glad to have an Amstel of the Bright variety if thats ok , I will be due for one by July so that will work out great . I will follow your instructions to a T.

Good job on the webster's, folks. Now explain how my statement that if Bonaire was on mainland there might be a bigger problem with vehicle theft is not true. How the fact that it would difficult to get a stolen vehicle off the island is not a major deterrent in vehicle theft is not true? I suspect the term you meant to use was "spurious".

This premise that one must actually be a crime victim to talk about the issues of crime is absolutely ridiculous.

It doesn't matter, Bonaire is not on the mainland, and so it doesn't apply anymore than if I were on the moon I could jump 8 feet high. Since I am not on the moon I can't jump that high, so why worry about hitting my head on the ceiling. Sounds like a strawman...

And again with your last point, nobody is arguing the premise that you can't talk about crime unless you are a victim. More to the point, most people who have been to Bonaire realize the issues are not as severe as many make them out to be, that is the premise being put forward.

We were there in November and witnessed a guy have his truck broken into and his stuff (including his prescriptive glasses) were stolen. I have heard about the crime and we were prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom