Any changes in security situation in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a problems with rooms being broken into. I am not sure if I can take two weeks off from work if I do not have my computer there. but I really do not want my work computer stolen.

I have left things in the truck and have not noticed anything gone through. I also think much of the theft in the Southern sites is done by other tourists, not locals. You just don't see very many locals on that end and there is no place for them to hide.

I also have been in places where locals were selling things on the roadside, or in the little square in town and have noticed 0 dive gear or used stuff. It is all crafts and homeade junk, but nothing that looks like it might have been stolen. This seems to fit my idea above, it is not the locals doing most of the stealing.

Are the tourists that go to Bonaire different than the tourists who go to other places? Why do other places not have the same "reputation"? But from a tourist's perspective, it doesn't really matter *who* is doing the stealing.

Is there crime in Bonaire? You betcha. But I challenge you to show me a country where there isn't. I would like to live there.

And I challenge you to show me any rental counter in the U.S. that openly advises their customers to leave the windows down and the doors unlocked. Outside of Bonaire, the almost universal advice is to roll your windows up and lock the car. The locals in Bonaire are much more in tune with local crime than the tourists. They are apparently quite worried about damage to their vehicles.

I'm not saying it isn't a manageable problem or that it should deter anyone from visiting but once again we are seeing the attempts to hush hush and pooh pooh the issue.

I have to agree that there was a sense of freedom leaving our truck windows open everywhere we went, and the doors unlocked 24/7. We never had to worry about anything being stolen since there was nothing to steal. :) We felt totally safe, even when alone at remote dive sites, and I can't wait to return this summer for another 2 weeks.

Is there crime on Bonaire? Absolutely, just as there's crime every where, but honestly I appreciate being told by the rental car company how to keep from having my stuff ripped off and to not have to pay for broken car windows. I also agree that I "should" be able to leave my stuff in a locked car and expect it not to be stolen...but I "should" also be able to walk through a city park at 2am and not be mugged or raped. Unfortunately that isn't the reality of today's world.

Is there a problems with rooms being broken into. I am not sure if I can take two weeks off from work if I do not have my computer there. but I really do not want my work computer stolen.

Check to see that the place you are staying has a safe large enough for your computer so you have peace of mind. There have been some break ins at resorts or isolated rentals but use common sense and do not flash things around or leave them out in visible spots when you are not around.

Are the tourists that go to Bonaire different than the tourists who go to other places? Why do other places not have the same "reputation"? But from a tourist's perspective, it doesn't really matter *who* is doing the stealing.

I would say that I think Bonaire is fairly unique as far as dive destinations go. Almost everywhere else you just get on a boat and dive that way, where Bonaire is almost all done by yourself shore diving, so you here about different issues.
And I challenge you to show me any rental counter in the U.S. that openly advises their customers to leave the windows down and the doors unlocked. Outside of Bonaire, the almost universal advice is to roll your windows up and lock the car. The locals in Bonaire are much more in tune with local crime than the tourists. They are apparently quite worried about damage to their vehicles.

I cannot except that challenge, because you are correct. However I will issue another challenge in it's place. Show me one medium sized city in the US where you can leave the windows down and the key in the ignition and come back 2 hours later and still find your car, every time?

Because of the way things are done in Bonaire, if you roll the windows up the assumption is there must be something worth stealing inside. However I see locals locking there cars up all the time (you can tell local cars right away), so it seems to be just a tourist thing. Probably kids, with some from tourists as well. But I also firmly believe there is more discussion of crime then crime itself.
I'm not saying it isn't a manageable problem or that it should deter anyone from visiting but once again we are seeing the attempts to hush hush and pooh pooh the issue.

I am not trying to hush it up. Please, by all means stay home, more space for me:D

But seriously, it really is not that big an issue. Like many things on discussion boards it takes on more importance here than in real life. Since nobody steals vehicles the rental companies would just rather you left the windows down and avoid the possibility of breakage.

To be honest I stupidly left my camera and computer in the backseat once and spent 20 minutes in the grocery. I didn't remember until I was in the checkout line and thought for sure I was going to find them missing. Surprisingly they were there, and a lot of locals walk by there so honestly, theft is an issue, but no more than other places you go to, or live at. It is just Bonaire handles it differently, is all.

Drew...hey....have you been picking my brain?????? You said it exactly as I would have. I mean, come on, if it was as bad as some say it is, why the heck would I live here???? Can't wait to see you guys, never heard from Scott.

Hey Liz!

You know I can't wait more:D I think after all that, Scott can't go after all:shakehead:

Anyway, a week now until takeoff, longest week of the year it seems...

I cannot except that challenge, because you are correct. However I will issue another challenge in it's place. Show me one medium sized city in the US where you can leave the windows down and the key in the ignition and come back 2 hours later and still find your car, every time?

If Bonaire was located on the mainland I'll bet you wouldn't get away with that. Vehicles aren't likely to get stolen when there's nothing the thief can do with the vehicle. Can't drive it, can't sell it, can't get it off the island.

I haven't been to Bonaire for about 4 years now but the last time I was there, theft by local teenagers was a huge problem. Even the local radio was discussing it almost daily. I'm not completely sure about this but I thought the reason was that children cannot be prosecuted under their laws. I know most everyone says very positive things about Bonaire and I do too but it has certainly had problems in the past. It was so bad that one company actually had a bus that published a schedule of their dive spot visits. You could be sure your equipment and vehicle were safe if you dove wherever the bus went.
I agree with most of the comments on this subject that other island have problems too but in most locations you don't drive a truck around with your stuff and rental tanks in it. Bonaire is different in this respect.

Be great if any time this Bonaire (in)security topic came up folks would state how much time they have spent on Bonaire and how much property they have personally had stolen or damaged. Sure, say what you like, free country and all that, but for any other folks out there who contemplate going yet wonder about "all the talk" of crime it's mostly just that. Talk. And all too often it's from folks who haven't been there. (No, I am not saying there isn't any crime but sheesh, give it a rest.)

Now if you have been there and got ripped off ok, I understand why you wouldn't go back. I even understand the need to warn others, if you really think crime is a problem there that you have had personal experience with. Still, don't you wonder a little bit why there are so many, many posts from folks who have been there (like myself, 6 wks in the last 2 years) and who can't wait to get back (my next 2 wks comes up in April)? It isn't about trying to be hush hush to hide a "serious crime problem". It isn't because we are all oblivious tourists. It's about trying to keep a sensible perspective on a great place.

Sorry if this sounds personal, it's not meant to be but comments like "If Bonaire were located on the mainland" (...you couldn't leave your keys in the ignition) are just so specious they punch my rant button. :sod: It's ok though, it's ok. Honest. My breaths are slowing, bp is dropping. Oh what the heck, say whatever ya want. At least come April I can go back there and relax-- maybe even chuckle about what a silly species we can be sometimes. // ww

Back
Top Bottom