Any changes in security situation in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just made reservations for a return trip for 2nd week in Nov. A year ago, there was a lot of talk about truck thefts while shore diving. I had no problem but was wondering what the present situation is. Is leaving the doors unlocked still the SOP?

That would be a good idea. It's a great place to vacation and dive, but because we leave our vehicles in remote places and go shore diving, they present an inviting target.

Your license, key and money are waterproof. Leave nothing in the vehicle except a towel. We walk into the water with out Crocs or TEVA sandals anyway, and leave them tied to a dive weight. Excellent for making that transition across the iron shore- and it keeps them out of reach.

There is always a lot of talk about theft on Bonaire....more BS than fact. Leave the truck unlocked, nothing of value in it and there is nothing to steal or worry about. I was there for 2 weeks in July/Aug- 18 folks the first week, including 2 other SB members and 3 the second and like the last 10 trips, we had 0 problems.

I don't think I've ever felt safer then on Bonaire. I wouldn't leave valuables laying around in a vehicle parked at a dive site anywhere in the US, Why would you do it on Bonaire? Or if you did why would it surprise you if someone stole it? To me, common sense is the key no matter where you are at. Bonaire is so small there is no need to take anything of value with you to a dive anyway. I use these Aquapac Small Whanganui - 654 to take any valuables with me and it fits into your BC pocket. I've had them down below 100' and not a drop inside.

Ok, I keep reading that "i feel as safe as I do in the US" or "i don't leave valuables in my car at home"... that is BS, pure and simple. I can leave just about whatever I want in the US and if I lock my car I have a pretty good feeling that it'll be locked when I get back, with whatever I left in it intact.
Saying that there is no petty theft on Bonaire, when you "have" to leave your doors unlocked so no one breaks into it is ludicrous. If you have to leave your doors unlocked because someone will break into it means THERE IS DEFINITELY THEFT. Why does everyone go so out of their way to downplay this? I read so much useful information on SB but this downplay of theft on Bonaire makes my head hurt. If I cannot leave a car locked then there is a KNOWN problem and the local police obviously do nothing to prevent this.
Sorry, but this has been brewing for some time.... yes, there is theft elsewhere but to say there is no theft is wrong!
My 2psi...

I was there in July and was told to leave our doors unlocked and nothing of value inside. When we returned from one dive we could tell someone had gone through the clothes and stuff we had left in the tuck, and they took out the radio. Leave what you value at the resort and let them rummage through anything you don't care to lose.

Ok, I keep reading that "i feel as safe as I do in the US" or "i don't leave valuables in my car at home"... that is BS, pure and simple. I can leave just about whatever I want in the US and if I lock my car I have a pretty good feeling that it'll be locked when I get back, with whatever I left in it intact.
Saying that there is no petty theft on Bonaire, when you "have" to leave your doors unlocked so no one breaks into it is ludicrous. If you have to leave your doors unlocked because someone will break into it means THERE IS DEFINITELY THEFT. Why does everyone go so out of their way to downplay this? I read so much useful information on SB but this downplay of theft on Bonaire makes my head hurt. If I cannot leave a car locked then there is a KNOWN problem and the local police obviously do nothing to prevent this.
Sorry, but this has been brewing for some time.... yes, there is theft elsewhere but to say there is no theft is wrong!
My 2psi...

Would you leave your expensive camera sitting on the seat in plain view in a dark, unlit, fairly low-traffic area, where no one would hear or see anything if someone decided to steal it? I sure as heck wouldn't in LA! I hear lots of stories about someone's stuck with a smashed window & a hefty bill because they left their ipod on the dash. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is common enough so I hide my GPS when I leave.

When we were there last week I was initially concerned, but after experiencing the island firsthand I realize that it's more about common sense. Many of the dive sites are isolated, you're underwater for quite awhile, and if someone decided to help themselves to something from your truck it would be very easy. We didn't see the need to go to such extremes as bringing our sandals underwater, but we made sure that there were absolutely no temptations visible. I had a cellphone with me, but left it under the seat, out of sight. We left the windows open mainly cuz there was nothing to steal, but partially because if someone did break in, we didn't want to have to deal with paying for damages to the rental company.

You don't "have" to do anything... you don't have to leave your doors unlocked, and you don't have to hide your expensive items. But, why risk ruining your vacation if something does get stolen?

btw, we also fly with our gear in a regular, non-descript suitcase instead of an obvious scuba bag. It's the same concept - low chance of the baggage claim people stealing our expensive equipment, but why take the risk?

That is theft... no other way to put it. A known thing and nobody says there is a theft problem. Although I admit that simply leaving nothing for them to steal seems a perfectly good solution but doesn't that make you feel slimed knowing that someone went thru your vehicle while you were diving?

Would you leave your expensive camera sitting on the seat in plain view in a dark, unlit, fairly low-traffic area, where no one would hear or see anything if someone decided to steal it? I sure as heck wouldn't in LA! I hear lots of stories about someone's stuck with a smashed window & a hefty bill because they left their ipod on the dash. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is common enough so I hide my GPS when I leave.

When we were there last week I was initially concerned, but after experiencing the island firsthand I realize that it's more about common sense. Many of the dive sites are isolated, you're underwater for quite awhile, and if someone decided to help themselves to something from your truck it would be very easy. We didn't see the need to go to such extremes as bringing our sandals underwater, but we made sure that there were absolutely no temptations visible. I had a cellphone with me, but left it under the seat, out of sight. We left the windows open mainly cuz there was nothing to steal, but partially because if someone did break in, we didn't want to have to deal with paying for damages to the rental company.

You don't "have" to do anything... you don't have to leave your doors unlocked, and you don't have to hide your expensive items. But, why risk ruining your vacation if something does get stolen?

btw, we also fly with our gear in a regular, non-descript suitcase instead of an obvious scuba bag. It's the same concept - low chance of the baggage claim people stealing our expensive equipment, but why take the risk?

What you are saying does not make sense, nor does it address the issue at hand - THERE IS THEFT. If someone breaks into a vehicle it is theft. Do I leave expensive things laying out? Hell no, but if I lock my vehicle with it out of sight I can pretty much believe anywhere I put my car it'll be fairly safe. And if not, it is theft... right? Theft means someone willfully taking something that is not rightfully theirs. So, if on Bonaire, I lock my rental truck and someone breaks into it... is that not theft???? Please enlighten me on this because the way I see it, that is theft short and simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom