Any changes in security situation in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might start by looking up the definition of "specious".

Something else about our species, a man's knowledge is not limited to actual experience but often acquired through abstract means. One need not have walked on the moon to know something about it's composition, atmosphere, gravity, etc.

Be great if any time this Bonaire (in)security topic came up folks would state how much time they have spent on Bonaire and how much property they have personally had stolen or damaged. Sure, say what you like, free country and all that, but for any other folks out there who contemplate going yet wonder about "all the talk" of crime it's mostly just that. Talk. And all too often it's from folks who haven't been there. (No, I am not saying there isn't any crime but sheesh, give it a rest.)

Now if you have been there and got ripped off ok, I understand why you wouldn't go back. I even understand the need to warn others, if you really think crime is a problem there that you have had personal experience with. Still, don't you wonder a little bit why there are so many, many posts from folks who have been there (like myself, 6 wks in the last 2 years) and who can't wait to get back (my next 2 wks comes up in April)? It isn't about trying to be hush hush to hide a "serious crime problem". It isn't because we are all oblivious tourists. It's about trying to keep a sensible perspective on a great place.

Sorry if this sounds personal, it's not meant to be but comments like "If Bonaire were located on the mainland" (...you couldn't leave your keys in the ignition) are just so specious they punch my rant button. :sod: It's ok though, it's ok. Honest. My breaths are slowing, bp is dropping. Oh what the heck, say whatever ya want. At least come April I can go back there and relax-- maybe even chuckle about what a silly species we can be sometimes. // ww

I have gotten to where I never bother to post in these anymore but you dragged me in ....AMEN BROTHER! So many of those who post have never actually been to the island and/or are discussing something that a friend of a friend heard from somebody. Sure crime does happen but at no where near the rate some would have you believe.
And for the record, 12 trips (13 weeks) since 99 with groups ranging from 2 to 24 with ZERO problems. I have stayed at 5 different resorts and travel all over the island.
Trip #13 is in the works and I can't wait to get back.

I did. My Webster's sez: "seeming to be good, sound, correct, etc. without really being so" (p.713, New World Dictionary). But Herman is right, why bother? If you've been to Bonaire you know, if not you can either listen to folks who have been there or those that haven't. If I hadn't met so many good people there (which includes Herman--over Gibi's goat stew and Liz' rum punch at GRI) I wouldn't have jumped in on this. Dragged you in Herman? Looked like a big old giant stride entry to me...:eyebrow: // ww

I have trip number 19 coming up in March. There is petty theft on Bonaire - hell there is petty theft everywhere. All we can say is just use common sense. On Curacao you have to sign a statement at the car rental that if you park in certain areas it is at your own risk and insurance will not cover you at that location. When I lived in Guam we had to keep the windows rolled down lest they be broken out. Here in Montgomery every morning there is news of a burgulary here or there.

For every bad thing that happens a good one counteracts it. Good news just isn't as juicy as bad though. We had a faulty tail gate and my friend's gear bag dropped out of the truck onto the road. We went to the police station to file a report for insurance claim and his gear had already been turned in. Another traveler brought the wrong inflator for her BC and Wannadive just let her use a BC for the week. Good stuff like that happens all the time.

I also went to Ol Blue and there were some divers in the water. Their SLR camera was sitting on a beach towel in plain view with nobody watching it. I had three rolls of film in the car. One in the box and resaleable, two were just in the can. They took the $4.00 roll in the box and left the other two and a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. Just use common sense - that's all there is to say.

Yes there is theft on Bonaire if you want to get semantical. But tell me where there isn't. Boy I want to go there.

Last edited:
Exactly. Where ever you have groups of people, you will have crime to some degree, Bonaire is no different than anywhere else in that regard.

It looks like I am a light weight here, been there twice, a week each time. But exactly 7 days from now I will be on the Hooker, or some other site in that general area!

Oh, BTW, From Miriam-Webster:

1obsolete : showy2: having deceptive attraction or allure3: having a false look of truth or genuineness

Something else about our species, a man's knowledge is not limited to actual experience but often acquired through abstract means. One need not have walked on the moon to know something about it's composition, atmosphere, gravity, etc.

This is very true, however without first hand knowledge of the Moon, how would you know if something were exaggerated? Almost everybody who has posted here with firsthand experience, and almost everyone I know who has been there feels the same way. The crime on Bonaire is the same as it is everywhere. That is to say a minority of people experience crime there, the majority do not, even if they are not perfect with their precautions...

seaducer:
Is there crime in Bonaire? You betcha. But I challenge you to show me a country where there isn't. I would like to live there.

Saba is the closest to that ideal I've seen.

Bonaire has crime, but the nature of the crime makes it very easy to avoid being its victim. With that in mind, I don't worry about trips to Bonaire. When I go, I leave nothing in the truck. My dive boots are the only shoes I take, the truck keys, a tiny bottle of No More Tears, a little cash and my sunglasses go diving with me. I leave my gear bag at the hotel, I'll drip dry, no need for a towel. The only thing I leave in the truck are the tanks I've already used or am planning to use on other dives before returning to the shop to swap them out for more. It's a non-issue. I've never had a problem with crime in Bonaire.

Just to reiterate... In the truck, leave windows down, doors unlocked, don't leave anything that you wouldn't want stolen like expensive sunglasses (bring cheapies) and leave the keys in the ignition??

Not sure about the last one but, is that correct about leaving the keys in the ignition?? If so, why?

We'll be in Bonaire in 3 weeks!! Whoo hooo!!

^^^^^Ok, scratch that ????

Hey thanks Walter!!!

I did. My Webster's sez: "seeming to be good, sound, correct, etc. without really being so" (p.713, New World Dictionary). But Herman is right, why bother? If you've been to Bonaire you know, if not you can either listen to folks who have been there or those that haven't. If I hadn't met so many good people there (which includes Herman--over Gibi's goat stew and Liz' rum punch at GRI) I wouldn't have jumped in on this. Dragged you in Herman? Looked like a big old giant stride entry to me...:eyebrow: // ww

Good job on the webster's, folks. Now explain how my statement that if Bonaire was on mainland there might be a bigger problem with vehicle theft is not true. How the fact that it would difficult to get a stolen vehicle off the island is not a major deterrent in vehicle theft is not true? I suspect the term you meant to use was "spurious".

This premise that one must actually be a crime victim to talk about the issues of crime is absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom