Another thread about first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I’m looking for my first regulator and I am so confused.

First, here is a list of my requirements:
- Full regulator set (1st, 2*2nd, SPG and hoses) for recreational diving
- I’d prefer it to be travel friendly but I don’t know if tiny second stages will be comfortable to me (I’m a big guy with a SAC of about 18-20lt/min). I haven’t had the chance to try any of them out yet.
- Use only in warm sea water (no need for cold kits etc)
- I think I will go for a new set. I wouldn’t mind second hand but my country charges full import fees even in second hand goods coming from outside the EU. Even within EU considering the shipping and servicing cost it doesn’t make much sense. Anyway I haven’t seen any reasonably good second hand deals within EU. Maybe I don’t know where to look for them.
- My LDS says they can practically service any regulator (well at least the ones commonly fount in Europe) but I am highly interested in servicing it myself. So I need it to be reasonably easy to service with service kits available from European suppliers.
- My computer is not AI but I might move to AI in the future so I think I’ll consider 2 HP ports as a minimum.
- I currently use the classic setup (safe second donate) and I am quite happy with it. For now I just don’t see much sense in having to deal with all these long hoses etc. One time that I had to share air (I was receiving) with the classic setup it was not the most comfortable thing to do, but it was very doable. I might consider a long hose/primary donate setup but it will probably be in the future.
- I am not perfectionist so I am not looking for THE best. Any good reg set that would last me long enough without major problems will be more than enough for me. For example I am pretty sure that I don’t need all these breathing effort and Venturis levels etc that I will never touch anyway on my second stages. A simple, reliable, easy to maintain set will be perfect.
- I’d like the price to be around 300 euros (350$) or so. Lower if possible so I can spend the money for more dives.

From the commends I’ve seen here in SB and the rest of the web I have kind of decided to go for a Scubapro. The problem is that even Scubapro offers so many different options that makes me really confused. Apart from piston / diaphragm, what are the differences between all these first stages (MK10,MK11,MK26 etc etc)? And then you have several second stages! I fount some comparison charts but several models are not even mentioned in them. And then you have all these models changing over time (old model, newer, newest etc etc). How do I know which version of the model it is all about?

Should I just pick some up randomly, or get the cheapest Scubapro deal I can find online?

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

I am a big fan of the ScubaPro MK17 first stage / G260 second stage. Its not the newest in the market, but its a workhorse and good for ANY condition that I can think of to throw at it.

IT will cost a bit more than 350 unfortunately. :( Scubapro tends to be great products, but a bit overpriced.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it is a great set, but I see that just a G260 is more than 350$! :banghead:
I am looking for something (much) cheaper.

Have you looked at the SP Mk11/C370?
Scubapro MK11 C370 Regulator
It’s fairly new model based on the C350. Compact, so travel-friendly, and gets positive reviews.

If you time your purchase right, Scubapro seems to do deals with a free octo. They’ve done it at least the last couple of summers, so you may have to wait till next year to take advantage of that!?

FWIW, I have the SP Mk17/G260 and love it - definately an easy-breather
Maybe a little bulky as a travel reg compared to others but I take mine in my carry on luggage so not an issue.

What do you local dealers stock? Important when you need to service/

I personally Use Aqualung Legends and Apes XTX50 on my (6) Reg sets. My wife has Scubapro and Apex

They all breath the same

The AL MiKron is a decent Reg and light for travel too

Thanks for all the replies. I live in a relatively small city and practically there are no local dealers. The guys at my LDS (especially the technical inclined ones) use tecline (a company from Poland - I think it is not well known west of the Atlantic). The BPW I just bought is tecline and I am quite happy with it but for the regs they seem too bulky/heavy for my needs while they are not much cheaper than other branded sets.

I can say from experience that you really want to buy something that is easy to service locally. I have Dive Rite regs, which give me no problem, except there are now only a small number of places in Australia authorised to service Dive Rite and they seem to take ages to get the kits in.

Just an update. I fount on e-bay a good looking second hand set (Scubapro Mk11+R395+R295+mares mission 3 console) for 200 euros shipped from Italy and bought it. I'm hoping to be able to sell the console for a good price because it looks intact. Now I am looking for different options for the first service (DIY or professional). Thanks for all the info anyway!

How many regulators have you serviced before? Zero?

I'd pay for the first one. Plus if there's something wrong with it, they'll see it.

Have it done before you dive it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom