Another shark bite. Looks like on ShearWater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie is correct. If possible, you want about 20 knots of airspeed. At that stage, rotor will leave dirty air behind and become a lot more efficient. It's called effective translational lift. Side benefit is that it is easier to maintain steady position/heading for both helicopter and the boat.
Pilot does not care if the boat is moving or not, you can not use water as reference for position holding, so you just hold yourself relative to the boat.
Yes. If you look at pictures of a lift from a boat, you see that the bird is running the same course as the boat, at about a 45 degree angle to the boats head, so the pilot can look out their window and see the bow or an antenna or otherwise a point of reference to the boat. They do not look around, they keep their eye on the reference and fly keeping the reference at the same range and bearing to the helo.

The pilot will give very clear instructions to the captain, and ensure that the captain understands them before attempting to hoist. As in, maintain course, bearing, and speed, lower antennas, stow any loose gear. They have hoist operators to run the hoist and a right hand seat to make sure they don’t run into an oilrig.

Any more info on this?
I saw a new article today, still calling the diver a fisherman. Nothing new. I have to ask how careless would a fisherman on a boat have to be to get bitten? Lame.

I saw a new article today, still calling the diver a fisherman. Nothing new. I have to ask how careless would a fisherman on a boat have to be to get bitten? Lame.
A quick YouTube search will answer that question:

I have to ask how careless would a fisherman on a boat have to be to get bitten? Lame.
That's actually not too surprising. You have to remember that a typical fishing trip is very different than a typical dive trip. On a dive trip, the participants generally wait until the diving is done before they start drinking. That's not the case on a fishing trip, so getting too close to the business end happens.

I'm somewhat surprised that the articles are still sticking with the fisherman aspect. One of the articles posted in this thread indicated that the CG reported that the Shear Water crew reported it as a fisherman getting bit. I do not believe at all that that was an honest mistake..

Well if they were using bait to attract (cartilaginous) fish and then attempting to "capture" these fish (with cameras) perhaps they could be called fishermen, assuming they had the appropriate genitalia?

You don't have to actually land a fish to be fisherman.

My speculation is it was some type of chumming/baiting related incident.
One of the easiest ways to get bit by a shark is handle it out of water or get between it and some food/bait.
In Australia we have shark bite trauma medical kits, surely the MV Shearwater would have one as a minimum

Proof of concept.
Proof that it's not hard to find reports of fishermen getting bit by sharks. As for the case under discussion though, it's pretty clear the "fisherman" explanation is B.S., and weak B.S. at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom