Another shark bite. Looks like on ShearWater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like you’re just upset @Wookie beat you to a dive accident thread.
Lame joke. I like it when someone else posts a dive accident before I see it in the news, It did seem like the second non-diving shark thread in a week, but the article was wrong.
Whether that's sloppy reporting or someone trying to cover their tail in this case is anyone's guess, although I'd err towards the latter
The Coasties know the boat and what they do from it. I'm amazed that they posted a lie on their own pages.

A friend of mine who is pretty well connected in the baited shark encounter biz posted that it was a bull. He also said it was a diver not a fisherman. Take that for what it’s worth.
Hmm, in that case I'd be rather impressed he got off that lightly. Bull shark bites tend to go deep unless it's just a glancing brush with the teeth. Looks like the arm is heavily bandaged between the elbow and wrist, although some of that might be the bulk of the tourniquet. Fingers are taped to the windlass but don't appear bandaged, which jibes with keeping the forearm immobilized.

Sharks get to be sharks..... and they get to eat whatever they want. Entering a food chain where you are no longer on "top" is part of what makes ocean diving the ultimate adventure... Intentionally associating divers with feeding these predators is just flipp'n stupid...and you get what you get.

I was certified and grew up scuba diving and free ab diving the 'RED' triangle in CA. There is a reason why we don't dive the Farallon's..... It's because it's a well known rookerie where the "Landlord" lives. If it wasn't for the landlord......there would be day trip dive boats out to the Farallon's every day.

Can anyone familiar with this type of CG airlift rescue explain something to me? Watching the video, it appears that the boat has its propellers engaged and is moving forward at a pretty good clip. The helicopter is matching the speed of the boat. This seems like it would be more complicated than the boat trying to remain still and the helicopter hovering relatively still as well? Is this the standard way to conduct this type of rescue? Genuinely curious.

The helicopter is matching the speed of the boat. This seems like it would be more complicated than the boat trying to remain still and the helicopter hovering relatively still as well? Is this the standard way to conduct this type of rescue? Genuinely curious.
Excerpting from How to prepare for a helicopter rescue from a Yacht
Smaller vessels (under 7 metres) may be asked to stop whereas larger vessels over 7 metres are usually asked to set a specified course and sail on a port tack. A steady course is important so that the helicopter can match your speed and course on approach.

The very fact that you are moving helps increase the helicopter’s airspeed and lift and thus assists the helicopter, which takes a huge amount of power to hover.

Sharks get to be sharks..... and they get to eat whatever they want. Entering a food chain where you are no longer on "top" is part of what makes ocean diving the ultimate adventure... Intentionally associating divers with feeding these predators is just flipp'n stupid...and you get what you get.

I was certified and grew up scuba diving and free ab diving the 'RED' triangle in CA. There is a reason why we don't dive the Farallon's..... It's because it's a well known rookerie where the "Landlord" lives. If it wasn't for the landlord......there would be day trip dive boats out to the Farallon's every day.
Entirely different ballgame there; the Farallons have a pretty dense seasonal aggregation of adult white sharks and between the depths and typically subpar viz that's not a game I'd play. Last I checked there was one guy still harvesting urchins/filming out there, on surface supply and solo:

Funny thing is, now that the CA white shark population is booming the juveniles down in the Southern California Bight are mixing with surfers, swimmers, and paddleboarders on a daily basis, mostly without incident:

Can anyone familiar with this type of CG airlift rescue explain something to me? Watching the video, it appears that the boat has its propellers engaged and is moving forward at a pretty good clip. The helicopter is matching the speed of the boat. This seems like it would be more complicated than the boat trying to remain still and the helicopter hovering relatively still as well? Is this the standard way to conduct this type of rescue? Genuinely curious.
It keeps the helicopter out of its own dirty air. When a helo hovers, it sets up a (I think it’s called a vortex) and the helo can be caught in its own downdraft. As a guy who’s had many divers lifted off, 10 knots is about right and leave the autopilot engaged

Wookie is correct. If possible, you want about 20 knots of airspeed. At that stage, rotor will leave dirty air behind and become a lot more efficient. It's called effective translational lift. Side benefit is that it is easier to maintain steady position/heading for both helicopter and the boat.
Pilot does not care if the boat is moving or not, you can not use water as reference for position holding, so you just hold yourself relative to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom