Another shark bite. Looks like on ShearWater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. Video of the airlift shows lots of tanks on board, I didn't see any fishing rods on board though those could be harder to miss. All those tanks along the gunwale isn't all that conducive to fishing.

However, in my limited experience with dive charters. A boat with that many tanks on board is not likely to have any guests/crew doing any hook & line fishing. Spearfishing, possibly.

As @Wookie has pointed out, Abernethy does not run fishing charters. He runs baited shark dives. Just sayin'.

I didn’t realize the Shearwater was a boat. I thought a diver’s SW computer had gotten chomped!
Shear Water is the name of the boat.

Spearfishing, possibly.
Like @Wookie pointed out,,,Not on that boat.
PLUS it's illegal to spear on scuba in the Bahama's,,,and those officers take a very serious view if both tanks and spears are found together on any boat no matter how many times you say you weren't in the water with both. It's not fun in jail over there>>so I've heard.

As @Wookie has pointed out, Abernethy does not run fishing charters. He runs baited shark dives. Just sayin'.
Yep. And he's had several instances in the past where guests (or himself) had close encounters with the sharp end of sharks. I think at least two deaths.

Makes me wonder where the fishing comment came from.

PLUS it's illegal to spear on scuba in the Bahama's,,,and those officers take a very serious view if both tanks and spears are found together on any boat no matter how many times you say you weren't in the water with both. It's not fun in jail over there>>so I've heard.
Yep, true. Forgot it was Bimini. My comment was more in general, not specifically to this boat.

Based on it's history, it seems pretty clear what happened. Not a fishing accident.

Abernethy is a vegan. He abhors pretty much all manner of hunting or fishing. I'm basing that upon interviews I've seen him give on local TV many times as well as his own videos that he has shared.

Bahamas dive ops sometimes allow divers to shoot lionfish. That's one possibility which may fit the narrative.

Bahamas dive ops sometimes allow divers to shoot lionfish. That's one possibility which may fit the narrative.
Perhaps. Or it was divers, as the vessel is famous for carrying divers, and their job is to carry divers, and they have been a dive boat for 30 years, and reporters get it wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom