Another question about no-fly times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally like to wait at least 20-24hrs before I fly. The cabin in a plane is only pressurized to about ~8Kfeet and around 0.16 PO2.. they pressurize it just enough to keep you conscious to keep the stress low on the airframe. Cochran was the first to put a flight recorder in the dive computer as it was noticed a high correlation to flights after diving and DCS. I always have my Cochran in my carry on so in case I take a hit I have a log of of my exposure for analysis.

On my last flight my analox read 15.8% PO2 (not adjusted for humidity)... so they were pressurizing it just enough to keep everybody conscious.

I am not sure what "typical Palau dives" are but if they are deep and pushing NDLs, then you will be doing quite a bit of loading of slower tissues. These tissues may well take more than 24 hours to "fully" off-gas and they are more sensitive to pressure changes (have higher M-values).

My question is why even consider the heightened risk. Lose the day 6 dive on scuba- snorkel or free dive is fine.
On multiple day multiple dives per day trips Debbie and I always plan a full no dive day. We also plan so we do not exceed no decompression limits, O2 limits if using nitrox, and other appropriate and basic safety rules. It's a good idea. Cosmographer, please be smart ( read cautious and safe) about this.
DivemasterDennis

9 hours after the end of a week of diving is not enough time. Your risk of DCS is elevated. DAN is a leader in safety issues related to diving and their info says no. In the end its your decision but many here are saying no.

I once observed a diver take a hit of dcs on a flight back from the maldives. A bad experience for him. And enough to make me never push the limits of 24 hours no diving before flying.

Just not worth it,

Are you asking for an opinion or seeking confirmation?

I have yet to meet a dive centre whilst on holidays who have not asked me when I am flying out.

If it is that important a dive, just ditch one of the others and replace it with that and dive it for longer.

Last week, I was talking diving with a physician.

He told me about a patient who came in with all sort of problems and they finally figured out that the patient was a diver who'd cut it short on his SI between his last dive and the flight back to San Francisco.

The fool not only did that, but he didn't even bring it up with the medical staff when he started to exhibit symptoms.

Don't risk it.

As far as never pushing the limits, there are times and conditions where 24 hours is unnecessary. When we go to Cozumel, the flight schedule often leaves us only 22 hours which means we just stay a bit more on the conservative side for the last day of diving. When we go to Bonaire, it is 3 to 5 dives a day but all are fairly conservative. The day before the last day we make sure there is nothing deep. On the last day of diving, we do a couple very conservative dives before noon. The flight out leaves at 0700 the next morning and our computers will show us cleared of N2 some time in the middle of the night.

But you need to understand what is going on and exercise caution.

As some here have mentioned, there are just too many variables involved to give you a definitive answer. Many of these variables are not only specific to the exact dive profiles that you will be doing in reality (as opposed to in theory; e.g. averaging it all out by saying "typical Palau dive plans"), but they are also very specific to your physiology, fitness level, etc. You might be lucky and dodge the bullet but then you might not.

I am with those who would urge you to take caution. Live to dive another day and enjoy the sport. Just take it easy for at least 24 hours before your flight; snorkel or skin dive if you want, extend your itinerary with an extra day, or see it as an excuse for wanting to come back again in the future "to do what you could not get to do last time". Playing Russian Roulette with DCI is IMHO just foolish and unnecessary but in the end the choice is up to you.

Safe diving and safe travels!
:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom