Another Jupiter Shark Attack 8/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always get a kick out of it when divers refer to their diving as "an expedition". And even it was spearos, can't dismiss the effect of hand feeding dive boat s on the shark population.

Title's misleading; the article linked says the bite happened in the Bahamas, and the diver rode back to Jupiter. I'd like to know what kind of shark & under what conditions. It was a bite on the hand per article. Was this a shark feeding dive? By who? If so, was he staff or an observer?

Richard.

Don't know who got bit, but I did see Cameron and Mickey were headed out there today. I would be curious to know what happened; on my two Tiger Beach trips the reefies were definitely the ones to watch. I had two of the little tykes mug me on my first time out there.

I looked at the Shark Addicts website; all I can see is free diving shark dives on offer. It'd be interesting to know whether free diving changes things much; I've read you should maintain eye contact with potentially dangerous sharks. I've read in the past that with large predators such as bears, you should move away slowly rather than abruptly flee. A free diver low on air must surface...soon.

Anybody here done shark free-diving?

Anyone know if Shark Addicts only offers free diving, or do they offer scuba diving, too?

Richard.

I thought I'd read another shark bite accident from one of those Emerald shark feeding trips. :D The title needs to be corrected.

Really bad title. As I read it a shark bit somebody and the shark is now in Jupiter.

Latest version - Victim bitten by shark while spearfishing in Bahamas

If accurate, sounds like it was a midsize Caribbean reef shark.

As far as the crap details, that's been a pattern with every other shark story in Jupiter lately; the local news would rather be the first to break the story than wait to get it right. Hook 'em by the 5:00 newscast and get them to tune in for the film at 11.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom