Another fun day of snorkeling at Salt Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just came home from a fun, albeit somewhat short afternoon of snorkeling at Salt Springs, Florida. It was great to visit this spring again as I hadn't snorkeled there in nearly 20 years & most importantly it served to scratch the itch to "get wet" one last time before my long-awaited OW class starts next weekend. (woo hoo!!) Even though I wasn't able to practice too many skills to get ready for class except for mask/snorkel clearing & basic finning, it still was a fun afternoon & the wife got to give her brand new mask, snorkel & fins a proper baptism. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to spend donning/using/doffing out wetsuits but even with the 72 degree water & just bathing suits, it didn't feel too cold (after the initial plunge) mostly due to the shallow depth & the hot air temps in the 90's.

A little bit about Salt Springs, if you don't know of it - it's located in the Ocala National Forest about 30 minutes south of Palatka, FL. (google it) It's managed by the Forest Service & is a bit pricey to get in, costing $ 5.50 per PERSON, not per car. (ie: family of 4 = $ 22.00). Even though the cost was much higher than a Florida State park's fee of $ 6.00 per car, it's worth every penny. The park grounds are immaculate with plenty of picnic tables under a huge canopy of oaks & palms & there's a strictly enforced ban on alcohol, skateboards, pets & loud music.

The spring pool itself is one of the best (IMHO) snorkeling springs in the state, especially for beginners or younger kids, as the bulk of it is very shallow (less than 6' deep) with the exception of the 3 major vent areas, which are ~20' deep. No scuba is allowed & you really couldn't dive there if you wanted to, as the spring vents are very narrow (only a few feet wide) & you really have to fight the force of the water to get very deep into them, particularly w/o wearing any weights. As such, you can get banged around very easily down in there as well, especially on your ascent back to the surface. (Not a very good place to practice freediving or diving down with a snorkel.) However, the water is crystal clear (>75ft. vis), is teeming with fish & has a slightly salty component to it, which allows it to support mullet & blue crabs, along with other fresh water fish. (see attached photos) Additionally, much of the pool bottom is covered with vegetation which gives excellent habitat to the fish, except for some well-worn "paths" of sandy/rocky bottom connecting the spring pool's entry points, the spring vents & around the perimeter. The huge spring pool is also enclosed on 3 sides by a large concrete walled overlook with a set of entry stairs on one side & a dirt/sand entry beach on the opposite side.

I'll definitely be back to this spring again as it's a nice mellow place to have an afternoon picnic/snorkel with the family. Caution though - it does tend to get crowded on summer weekends & especially on holidays, like most springs in Florida, so try to catch it during the week or in the spring or fall. I'd really be interested to hear anyone else's opinion about Salt Springs if you've ever visited there.

Happy snorkeling/diving!

(Added 05/23) PS: Here's a good link that I found for some additional info & photos of Salt Springs.

http://www.floridaadventuring.com/salt-springs.html

Attachments

• 05-22-11 005.jpg
    05-22-11 005.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 05-22-11 008.jpg
    05-22-11 008.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 05-22-11 012.jpg
    05-22-11 012.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 05-22-11 018.jpg