another flying after diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just about to get my Private pilots Cert, and one of the first trips I would like to do is to fly down to Monterey from the California Central Valley for some diving. My issue is would the small amount of altitude gained going over the coastal range from Monterey back to the valley constitute a threat to getting bent. The usual altitude would be no more than 2500 MSL tops. I planned on flying North first and climbing very gradually to reduce any impact, but I am wondering, considering that you can drive a car over those mountain passes, after diving, why can't I stay low and fly?

yea, and people get medi-vac'ed in a heli to the chamber.....I wonder too. ask mod Bigjetdriver !

Very good Question!

If you do get bent, does your buddy know how to call Tower and land the plane? Just in case, ya know.
If your controlling tower asks you to change altitude for this-or-that reason, you will have a difficult time explaining to him/her why you can't go higher.
I think I would wait at least 12 hours before flying home, and still plan to stay as low as possible. Just me, though.

If you look in the NOAA Diving Manual, which you can find on-line in various places, you will find a table entitled Flying After Diving. It has a sliding scale of wainting times based on exposure. Check it out. I think you will find it useful for what you propose.

Theres a chart in the USN dive manual that breaks down the SI required to fly and takes into consideration what altitude you'll be flying or driving at. For instance you plaug in your RGD and the altitude you plan to fly at say 8000 for a commercial flight and it gives you the recomended SI. You can find copies of the USN dive manual online ussually for free, you want table 9-5 Required Surface Interval Before Ascent to Altitude After Diving

Good luck on your PPL rick, I'm about to take my checkride too.

catherine96821:
yea, and people get medi-vac'ed in a heli to the chamber.....I wonder too. ask mod Bigjetdriver !
Being evacuated by heli is little bit different than piloting one.

MonkSeal:
Being evacuated by heli is little bit different than piloting one.

Not really, the ride is just as rough! :D :D

P.S.--Good luck to both of you guys who are taking checkrides.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom