Another Extended Dive Bum Vacation: Monterey & the Cali Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1/4 The swell finally passed and we had beautiful calm water. Topside sea lions jumped, otters floated and the sun rays danced on the water. Kenn joined our team of Peter C, Erik and I in Peter’s Zodiac for some good fun.

Some video from the 4th (1st and second coming soon)

http://www.vimeo.com/8566359

Lobos (The lost Dive) on Vimeo

Nick, lovely! We got seriously "lost" that weekend as well (imagine aiming for Hole in the Wall and ascending at Granite Point Wall)! If you guys went from Beto's to Sea Mount, you took a very circuitous route, since SM is something like a 2-minute kick from the shallow south end of Beto's :D

1/5 Lobos was beautiful today - sunny and no swell. Kenn and I leisurely kicked out to Lone Metridium and enjoyed very nice vis ;-).

Second dive was in doubles. High tide, no swell the boat ramp was a breeze. We kicked out to cole chute caverns - the vis was pretty good. The dive relaxing.

I felt like a little explorer poking into the caverns in Ben's doubles with my blazing light can. Found some very cool nudi's in the cavern. A friendly seal glided by checking us out. We enjoyed a leisurely swim back towards the boat ramp and stopped to watch a few Leopard sharks and another very cute seal peeking out from the kelp ;-).

Thanks for the great dives Kathy! With the way things have been flattening out lately, I'm betting you're out there right now enjoying 50-70ft viz right now! I had a great time diving with you these last couple of days, here's a report and video from yesterday's dive:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/318305-video-1-5-10-2-lone-metridium-coal-chute-caverns.html

Nick thanks for posting the video clip! New Years was tons of fun! So glad you all made it up!

It was great to see you, Jamie & the gang! I love the music & scooter loop! Ah maybe one of these days soon :D!

Thanks for the great dives Kathy! With the way things have been flattening out lately, I'm betting you're out there right now enjoying 50-70ft viz right now! I had a great time diving with you these last couple of days, here's a report and video from yesterday's dive:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/318305-video-1-5-10-2-lone-metridium-coal-chute-caverns.html

Kenn, Ah what a beautiful video! Yesterday was tons of fun! I love diving with you. Lets do it again!! Thanks so much for the navigation tips & thanks for the gentle dive with doubles.

Just drove by BW - it's flat & beautiful - heading out for an afternoon dive to the Metridium fields & mellow evening dive with Greg in doub's ;-).

Wish me luck on the surface kick :wink:!

Well, anything is possible. we were in the 80 foot range with big boulders with very straight clean cuts. I have never seen that before at lobos. We surfaced "around the corner" and high-tailed it out on the scoots !!

Not *quite* as bad as your snafu but clode !!

Hey Kathy

Its a little out of sequence for the thread, but here's a video from dives in the bay on 12/30 at aumento's reef and shale island.

[vimeo]8565886[/vimeo]

-Erik

Wow, keep the reports coming! Glad that you're able to dive with Kenn.

It was another beautiful day in Monterey. The ocean was tranquil. I met Greg Dunn for a few evening dives. Just before sunset we kicked into the fading sky towards the Metridium Fields off BW.

Dropping down, the sunlight had faded to night. We flawlessly followed the pipe out to the fields. For the next hour, delicate Metridiums and graceful jellies filled our senses as we floated, our lights piercing through dark waters illuminating the peaceful surrealistic world.

I learned a secret of doubles tonight – there was no hurry to turn around :). The first dive lasted 1 hour 35 minutes and was 46 ft. We surfaced for about an hour, then slipped back in to the water with the same tanks kicking down BW on our backs enjoying the stars. Dropping down - we glided past octopi, huge shrimp, nudis and many other critters. The second dive was 1 hour 36 minutes to 51 ft.
We surfaced at midnight :).

I feel so lucky to be able to dive with all these awesome divers! What an incredible community ;-)!

Last edited:
Kathy, you got 3+ hours on one set of doubles? Wow!

Watch Kenn's video of his dive with Kathy -- she's gotten VERY efficient in the water! (And 200 cu ft is a LOT of gas!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom