Another Extended Dive Bum Vacation: Monterey & the Cali Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy, I'd love to know what you do for a living, to be able to take these "dive bum" periods! (I know, I know, I should talk . . . )

I had to laugh when you said you slept in the day after diving with Claudette. She and Ken have absolutely exhausted me and Peter, every time we've dived with them. I always need a vacation to get over my vacation!

I very rarely do more than two dives a day in cold water. In addition to the work involved in schlepping the equipment, the cold water itself is tiring. Even during DYFO, I don't think I did more than 3 (and that's relatively WARM water for us!) And when you start hauling doubles and scooters (and eventually a deco bottle) it just gets to be MORE work. I remember when Nils came up here to visit -- I thought I wasn't getting enough diving for him, and at the end of the trip, he told me his usual MoCal trip is one dive a day, and he was beat!

Enjoy it now, it all comes to an end when your student load bills start rolling in.

What student loans :D?

I am so jealous. :)

1/4 The swell finally passed and we had beautiful calm water. Topside sea lions jumped, otters floated and the sun rays danced on the water. Kenn joined our team of Peter C, Erik and I in Peter’s Zodiac for some good fun.

We slipped through the still waters of Whalers Cove at Lobos and could see at least 30ft down to the bottom from the boat. With high hopes Peter navigated out to the Great Pinnacle, suiting up we dropped down 85ft in two teams. Peter & Ken; and Erik and I. With our lights blazing we floated over the pinnacles enjoying the 30-35 ft vis.

Later we geared up again for Thumbs Up and dropped down. A few curious sea lions plunged down to circle us at 65ft and we saw lots of nudis. Quite beautiful.

A huge pod of Risso's dolphins topped the day as we cruised back over the sparkling water in the Zodiac.

What a great way to spend Peter C’s birthday ;-).

The cove looked like it had much better vis than where we dove. I bet BW was clear too. Fingers crossed again for another calm day tomorrow when we kick out and enjoy the beauty of Whalers Cove

Last edited:
1/5 Lobos was beautiful today - sunny and no swell. Kenn and I leisurely kicked out to Lone Metridium and enjoyed very nice vis ;-).

Second dive was in doubles. High tide, no swell the boat ramp was a breeze. We kicked out to cole chute caverns - the vis was pretty good. The dive relaxing.

I felt like a little explorer poking into the caverns in Ben's doubles with my blazing light can. Found some very cool nudi's in the cavern. A friendly seal glided by checking us out. We enjoyed a leisurely swim back towards the boat ramp and stopped to watch a few Leopard sharks and another very cute seal peeking out from the kelp ;-).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom