Another Dopey Mask Fit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I started diving I've been wearing an Oceanic XSite mask. It has never leaked a drop, with or without a snorkel, with or without a hood. My issue with it is limited downward visibility--I'd love to be able to see my BC one day, and the knife I keep there. So I tried a couple of other masks, Mares X-vision and Cressi Big Eyes, but got leaks with both of them. What I'm wondering is this--would different masks by the same manufacturer, such as Oceanic, tend to have the same fit or sealing characteristics? I see that Oceanic has a mask called Fisheye that looks like the Cressi Big Eyes, and I'm wondering if it might be a better fit than the others I tried.

I would think that anytime you change the design of the mask, that the fit characteristics of the mask will change as well, regard of who manufactures the mask. Even between the same mask models there can be variances in fit. The only way I know of checking to see if a particular mask will fit is to try it on.

Despite the brand and model, you will need to try it on. That will be the best way to determine whether it fits you or not.

Many brands share the same OEM manufacturer so brands won't make them different.

Heck, even variations from year to year can change the way a mask fits.

When I bought my Big Eyes the shop had the last years model and the newest model. The new masks came with a plastic storage case but they didn't fit me very well. The older mask fit perfectly.

Every mask design (in most cases) use a different skirt mold, hence a different fit. If you like our X-Vision, but had leaks we are coming out with the same mask frame using a "mid size skirt" for those with smaller or narrower faces. This will offer the same vision, slightly lower volume and better fit for those who need a smaller skirt with out sacrificing view.

Phil

Phil Mintz:
... If you like our X-Vision, but had leaks we are coming out with the same mask frame using a "mid size skirt" for those with smaller or narrower faces. This will offer the same vision, slightly lower volume and better fit for those who need a smaller skirt with out sacrificing view.

Phil

And that model's name will be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom