Another diver injured in Gilboa Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the matter with the owner, Mike?

Did he ask to dive deep?

Did he ask to dive cold?

He didn't anything wrong. The owner should be out of subject on this matter.

It is BS that your dive plan should be checked in advance. The diver should dive with your own risks. Nobody begged you to be a diver. Is your travel plan checked by the police or DOT in advance?

There are a lot of BS cowards to blame someone after something happened.

Just my 2 cents.

Hoosier:
What is the matter with the owner, Mike?

Did he ask to dive deep?

Did he ask to dive cold?

He didn't anything wrong. The owner should be out of subject on this matter.

It is BS that your dive plan should be checked in advance. The diver should dive with your own risks. Nobody begged you to be a diver. Is your travel plan checked by the police or DOT in advance?

There are a lot of BS cowards to blame someone after something happened.

Just my 2 cents.

Hoosier, I don't get your point? I applaud Mike for being SOOOOO anal about the deep side. Most charter boats will want to see your log book for recent experience and training before they will allow you on a deep charter. Who better than Mike to make a judgment on if a diver is ready for the conditions at Gilboa? We will never know how many posts we don't see in this forum because of his intervention to a divers plans. If monitoring the plans of the highest risk divers keeps the insurance premiums down and in turn keeps the gate price down, I can put up with the quirks. If the quirks get to be too much for me, I just won't dive Gilboa.

Betail:
Hoosier, I don't get your point? I applaud Mike for being SOOOOO anal about the deep side. Most charter boats will want to see your log book for recent experience and training before they will allow you on a deep charter. Who better than Mike to make a judgment on if a diver is ready for the conditions at Gilboa? We will never know how many posts we don't see in this forum because of his intervention to a divers plans. If monitoring the plans of the highest risk divers keeps the insurance premiums down and in turn keeps the gate price down, I can put up with the quirks. If the quirks get to be too much for me, I just won't dive Gilboa.

That's my general point in any risk related business.

Why should insurance price go up even though the owner did anything wrong? No reason.

What kind of risks does owner create for the deep divers? None....

Is there anything a charter captain creates a risk for a boat diving? Nothing

To me, it is like someone sued McDonald's because of a hot coffee.

BubblesUp:
I would add to your list "in shape and in practice."

Not suggesting that this was a factor in any recent incident, but it's troubling to see the number of divers who hang up their fins in September or October and think they can safely pick back up in the same place after a five or six month layoff.

Agree. You gotta get back on the bike slow, since most first dives of the season are not only chellanging conditions, but also freshly-serviced equipment that (like the diver) should be smoke-tested before being stressed.

In the wake of the recent accidents, several of us have resolved to check each other on at least one skill during each dive - it only takes a minute or so on the platform or in mid-water at the start or end of the dive, then on with the fun.

Let's be safe out there!

hoosier:

Why should insurance price go up even though the owner did anything wrong? No reason.

Welcome to the real world Hoosier. It's not just the US has this problem either.
Lets face it, if you have three car accidents in 5 years your car insurance is going to go up. I slid off the road in my truck and kill someone. Opps, sorry man the road was slick and I didn't mean to kill your wife.. I don't think so. I knew the risks of driving in the rain. Someone will pay for that persons life. Why should a dive quarry be any different? In the real world it's not!!

If Mike didn't put up such a fuss about diving the deep he probably wouldn't be open. If all else fails I think the man has morals. He probably couldn't live with knowing that a lot more people had died because of something he didn't do to protect himself as well as others. Sometimes I think he can go overboard but then again what my definition of overboard and anyone elses' is different.

hoosier:

Your analogy is inapt and inept. Learn the truth about the case here:

http://www.marlerblog.com/2006/07/articles/case-news/the-truth-about-the-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-case/

Back
Top Bottom