Another diver injured in Gilboa Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to ask, it is igorance on my part, are these people rec divers doing deep dives without training or are these people techies that are taking hits? I am not trying exploit good or evil here one way or the other, but I am genuwinely curious.

Unless you sneak over the wall Mike won't allow you to dive the deep without a plan that you must report to him. I will go out on a limb and say that if you weren't trained right then you won't be allowed. Weither or not any of these injuries divers are tech or not, don't know. Also being AOW allows you to 130' Don't know what Mike's standards are.
Also the first two weren't deco hits. We could only wish they were.

Being AOW doesn't allow you to anything. It exposes you to a depth greater than 60' in a training context. The recommendation is that an AOW diver keep above 100'. AOW deep dive GENERALLY takes place between 80' and 100' (most allowable under most agency's standards during the AOW class).

crpntr133:
Unless you sneak over the wall Mike won't allow you to dive the deep without a plan that you must report to him. I will go out on a limb and say that if you weren't trained right then you won't be allowed. Weither or not any of these injuries divers are tech or not, don't know. Also being AOW allows you to 130' Don't know what Mike's standards are.
Also the first two weren't deco hits. We could only wish they were.

Referring to the double fatality at Gilboa a couple weeks ago, my understanding is they filed for a depth and Mike had them revise it to 100 feet. I also hear if you are over there and don't have a plan he will have the sheriff haul you off for trespassing. I saw Mike yell at a guy for what seemed like 20 minutes for exceeding the 5 MPH speed limit. It convinced me not to be the guy caught on the deep side without a plan. If anyone thinks Mike turns a blind eye to rule breaking you have the wrong impression.

As for the OP, like crpntr said, it is possible to sneak over the wall. Maybe this incident was that or something much less interesting.

crpntr133:
Kinda weird that he was diving the shallow side and was put on O2.

O2 is a great blanket treatment. If the diver was in risk of DCS it can lessen the risk. If the diver was in cardio distress it will also improve the chances of survival.

Pete

Rakkis, I know what you are saying but it doesn't stop anyone from going to X feet. I was only OW and did 75". Yes it was with a DM but I wasn't "certified" to do it. The PADI police didn't come arrest me. This may have been what happened here.

Spectrum may have hit on another option with the cardio. I was focused more on directly related dive ..deco, ect.

I could see Mike yelling at someone for 20 minutes about the speed limit. He all but yelled at Jodi about possibly overfilling a tank by 100 psi. I stepped outside several times waiting for my tanks to be filled hoping that they would hash it out.

Places in the quarry approach 140-150 ft. At that depth the temperature is pretty much 38-41 degrees year-round, and there is essentially no light. The deep side is not a place for beginners or 9-dive AOW divers - it is a place to learn extreme recreational and beginning technical diving without having to travel hundreds of miles, then deal with currents, open-sea conditions, and cranky wildlife. For those properly trained and equipped it makes for some great diving, for others it's the call of the sirens. Mike has good reasons to be OC about deep diving at Gilboa - his rules are written in blood.

skyking:
For those properly trained and equipped it makes for some great diving...

I would add to your list "in shape and in practice."

Not suggesting that this was a factor in any recent incident, but it's troubling to see the number of divers who hang up their fins in September or October and think they can safely pick back up in the same place after a five or six month layoff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom