Another CZM diving death Nov 21.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the information. Once I got my head on straight I realized I could call the consulate, and I did.
She was traveling with my dad and the consulate advised me that he will be in their offices this afternoon and they will touch base with us after that and have him contact us.

Thank you for the condolences...this is something you never expect to happen and I hope that we'll be able to get the whole story soon.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted. Having a tragedy like this happen is never pleasant, but when there is a language barrier it makes it that much more difficult. I live in New Jersey and it's very difficult to get information, so I truly appreciate any updates that anyone can provide to me.
Either here or I can be reached on my personal email which is twodawghs@yahoo.com

Again thank you for your thoughts as my family goes through this difficult time.

Laura

Dear Laura,
Your step mother was lucky to have such a caring person in her life. Your dad is fortunate that you are there to support him. People can be very helpful and kind on this board, so feel free to reach out. I was just in Cozumel a few months ago diving..
Where in NJ are you?
Best,
Jackie

Laura, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're going to be able to get in contact with your father. I'm sure he's going through a really rough time, especially being in a foreign country with such a tragedy.

For someone who's first post is looking for info on a tragedy, you sure know quite a bit, even met the diver... Since you're on the island and diving, why not ask your dive op how these things are handled and if there's any official board or person who does what you're asking about?

I have no info about this incident, but it never ceases to amaze (and slightly disgust) me how the vultures, experts, critics and analyzers crawl out of the woodwork on forums before there's even time to properly notify the victims family. If this happened today, what details do you expect to get on a forum? What credible information would even be available yet? I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it, but all a thread like this does is add to the rumours you say are already flying.

Why don't some of you inquisitive minds take a step back and think about what if it was your family or friend? Would you want the sort of posts a thread like this generates this early on after the incident to be about your family member, friend, or about you?

Never said I met the diver. You did. They were sitting at a table next to us.

And IF anything happened to me on a dive, I'd want my friends/family to KNOW what happened and hold the sugar-coating. Authorities here aren't particularly forthcoming for any number of reasons.

I have asked about a board and there isn't one. I think there SHOULD be especially since there is this statistical anomaly/cluster. Unfortunately, one set up here could conceivably require all diving to cease until they came to a conclusion. :) DAN does annual fatality reports but they're primarily just stats on age, sex, COD, etc. Not if/how some might have been prevented. Not playing god here; just seeing if there's a possibility of reducing the number of fatalities.

And this board HAS been a great resource for finding out info not readily available on the island. Sorry if that offends you.

My heart goes out to the family. The dive community down here truly mourns with them.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted. Having a tragedy like this happen is never pleasant, but when there is a language barrier it makes it that much more difficult. I live in New Jersey and it's very difficult to get information, so I truly appreciate any updates that anyone can provide to me.
Either here or I can be reached on my personal email which is twodawghs@yahoo.com

Again thank you for your thoughts as my family goes through this difficult time.

Laura

the reef regency is a section in the sabor resort cozumel Sabor Resorts and Spa | Cozumel, México the phone numbers are 1800 413 3886 & 011 52 987 872 9300, for what ever help this may be...

Back
Top Bottom