Another CZM diving death Nov 21.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My post was removed from this thread, I'm not sure why.
We were just starting our dive at the wreck when the previous group were around 10 mins shy of surfacing.
We only found out about the missing diver (from the previous group) when we got back aboard.
Very sad news and may I extend my heartfelt condolences to you Twodawghs and your family and your Step Mothers friends.

Always sad to lose a member of the scuba fraternity.

So sad to hear about your loss Laura.....We dove with the Sleeping Shark 4 days last week and I will tell you we never had any questions about our safety with them. Well run boat, good Captain and Dive Masters. Had emergency kit on board at all times, and was in radio contact withy other Captains during our runs....My thoughts and support are there for you....

I really wish someone with knowledge of what happened would come here and post. I knew Suzanne, although not very well (I didn't even know she was a diver), but as a diver myself, and a new one at that, I want to make sure that if the circumstances of her death can help others avoid the same fate, that it be posted here so we can learn from it.

I really wish someone with knowledge of what happened would come here and post. I knew Suzanne, although not very well (I didn't even know she was a diver), but as a diver myself, and a new one at that, I want to make sure that if the circumstances of her death can help others avoid the same fate, that it be posted here so we can learn from it.

There still seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around. One divemaster said today that Suzanne was 69. She wasn't. Another said she was swimming around the wreck - not inside - and then went to the surface. Who knows? As someone who dives here often, I TOO would like some definitive answers. I guess we'll have to wait and hope we'll hear eventually.

Regardless, we all mourn w/ Suzanne's family.

OK, It is sure to come out in much better detail but I was waiting for a more definitive description. But I will try to give a brief of what I have learned from a first hand reference (someone who was on the dive).

Her friends and group of divers wanted to do the C53 wreck and penetrate it (not a difficult problem for any one). At the last minute she chose not to do the penetration and made an ascent toward the surface by herself. She was observed for part of the ascent but not all the way as the group entered the wreck. When the group surfaced they found her to not be in the boat and they started looking on other boats to see if she was with a "wrong" boat. When they determined that she was not on another boat the DM re entered the water to look for her and found heron the bottom just north of the wreck. She had probably been underwater for 1 hour or more before recovery and there was no chance for her.

The police confiscated her tank and gear.

These are the only first hand facts I can report.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks, Dave.

Dave, if your info is correct, that seems to be two recent fatalities where a lone diver went to the surface and later was found dead. I do not recall the specifics of the male that I think was the second/earlier "lone diver" to the surface incident.

Diving procedures there do seem a bit lax, I realize it is a vacation spot and all, but really ...

Diving procedures there do seem a bit lax, I realize it is a vacation spot and all, but really ...
Where they are lax they are so because the divers demand it. But I will ask this: when one diver gets it in his/her head to refuse to go with the rest of the group and heads for the surface, what is the DM to do? Call the dive?

I ask generally, not specifically concerning this case. I know nothing about it apart from what has been posted here, and I cast no aspersions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom