• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Another CZM diving death Nov 21.

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Shut up & dive, Nov 21, 2011.

1. budaman

budaman Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    My wife is also my dive buddy. She is the more experienced of the two of us & is my security blanket....so much so, I don't feel comfortable when she is not by my side. Since becoming certified, I have not made a dive when she has not been my buddy. I have full confidence in her abilities to come to my aid, if something should ever arise. Hopefully, I will be able to handle a crisis if she should need assistance. It's a shame that Suzanne didn't have that someone close in her time of need.

Mike

2. Blue Sparkle

Blue Sparkle Captain

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Just a note on something that comes to mind as I'm reading the last few posts.

To me it doesn't feel like an apples-to-apples comparison between planned, prepared-for solo diving and a diver who is buddy diving (or is generally prepared for buddy diving) and then either gets separated or goes off on his/her own at some point during the dive. The former is purposeful, while the latter "happens."

I know "solo divers" have problems too, but I just mean that I don't see them as parallel situations.

Blue Sparkle

Note: I don't know why or even if Suzanne was diving by herself; I'm just addressing what I see as a slightly un-parallel comparison of "solo diving" with "separated from buddy and diving alone" and/or "not specifically planned diving alone" (following DM as a string of individual divers, etc.).

3. RonFrank

RonFrank Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    In the marine park a run in involving fishing line is doubtful as fishing is a big nono. While Coz is lax about many things, the marine park is not one of them.

4. RonFrank

RonFrank Solo Diver

There is nothing about Coz that changes the way people dive. When there with a buddy we dove as a pair the entire time. There is also nothing preventing one from using the DM as a buddy but you have to be willing to stay with the DM. Ironically this diver chose not to penetrate the wreck likely for safety reasons. In this case that proved to be the less wise course of action. Who knows, maybe she had a heart attack and nothing could have been done. The Autopsy may provide an answer.

Gdog likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Is this the anecdotal comment you heard? If so, with your experience in Coz, you must acknowledge that currents can change a fair bit in a day, much less a few weeks. It may be that on the day of this accident, current was nominal. We may just need to wait for more fulsome information, unless people actually on the dive can comment on conditions.

6. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, certainly. My comment was in response to whoever said the wreck was an easy dive. IF the current were strong that day at that location, it wouldn't necessarily be easy to stay on the site and if a diver got swept away, it might not be possible to get back. On other Cozumel dives, you just go with the flow and see more reef.

7. Mawg

Mawg Manta Ray

8. Okie Mike

Okie Mike Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I dove Cozumel in 1991 and 1995 and back then, a single low air diver going solo to the surface was standard procedure and part of the dive brief. That clearly had changed when I was back this last August and we were told that buddies go up together.

9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

That can vary a lot.

10. Shut up & dive

Shut up & dive Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Done hundreds of dives in and around CZM as well as hundreds more around the world. In CZM, I've been w/ 5 dive ops. "Protocol" is contingent upon the OP and is often lax if regulars are involved. THAT'S part of the problem. If there are 8 people on a boat and 2 are newbies and they don't get the rundown, that's a recipe for disaster.