Another CZM diving death Nov 21.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a non-diver friend of Suzanne's and her treasured husband, Richard. Although I know them in an entirely different context (we volunteer together doing cat rescue in Northern Virginia), the differences between diving and cat rescue are very, very small when it comes down to memories of Suzanne and her irrepressible, infectious enthusiasm for life and friendship. My heart aches for Richard and their family.

Assumption is that her buddy would have been with her and adequately trained to assist. Of course we do not know what happened. I recall reading of an accident perhaps in California where two or three people in a family died diving. Recollection is that none were sufficiently qualified to fix some problem.

My buddy saved a divers life with less than 10 dives under his belt. I don't have any idea what emergency you are talking about, but Dan got a newbie to the surface and then assisted him back to shore. A buddy can make the difference between life and death. It really made all of us realize the importance of buddy diving.

Condolences to all involved. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Don.

Although, this is not the A & I thread, so perhaps condolences are fine here and analysis could move to the existing A & I thread?

(I don't mean to come across preachy; it just seems a bit of a grey area in a local-forum thread vs. the clear guidelines for A & I + passings. For example, I didn't know condolences were not okay in a local-forum thread.)

Edited to add link to existing A & I thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/402991-fatality-cozumel-nov-21-a.html

And Don, since I'm editing this after reading your reply below: I understand what you are saying, and I know you weren't being petty. I just figured that maybe sometimes people don't even notice that they are not in the A & I thread.... seems relatively easy to do if you arrive here via "new posts" or similar. I guess I like the A & I forum because I like clear ground rules if I'm going to be "analyzing" something as sensitive as a diver death. Otherwise I feel sort of "off" about maybe saying the wrong thing, because I'm not sure where the "appropriate" line is in a local forum. And yet I really value the analysis (and it sounds like the diver's step-daughter would too - which is not always the case with family).

Last edited:
Although, this is not the A & I thread, so perhaps condolences are okay here and analysis could move to the existing A & I thread?

(I don't mean to come across preachy; it's just a bit of a grey area in a local-forum thread, it seems, vs. the clear guidelines for A & I + passings.)
Oh, I suppose it's fine. I just linked to the Passings thread in case anyone would like to post to it too.

I prefer Accidents in A&I but some Mods have said they leave them in geographic forums at times if they start there.

Let her group? That sounds strange (knowing this experienced diver). Where was her dive buddy? How quickly was her absence reported? One article said the police were performing an autopsy. I assume tht U.S. Embassy reps are assisting, since a U.S. citizen died.

I am a non-diver friend of Suzanne's and her treasured husband, Richard. Although I know them in an entirely different context (we volunteer together doing cat rescue in Northern Virginia), the differences between diving and cat rescue are very, very small when it comes down to memories of Suzanne and her irrepressible, infectious enthusiasm for life and friendship. My heart aches for Richard and their family.

What's the name of the cat rescue group? My wie and I also knew Richard and Suzanne for years. We live far from DC now. Were thinking of making a donation in her name.

Let her group? That sounds strange (knowing this experienced diver). Where was her dive buddy? How quickly was her absence reported? One article said the police were performing an autopsy. I assume tht U.S. Embassy reps are assisting, since a U.S. citizen died.
Perhaps you missed this post. Her daughter said that the local Deputy Consulate is working with her dad there.
OK, It is sure to come out in much better detail but I was waiting for a more definitive description. But I will try to give a brief of what I have learned from a first hand reference (someone who was on the dive).

Her friends and group of divers wanted to do the C53 wreck and penetrate it (not a difficult problem for any one). At the last minute she chose not to do the penetration and made an ascent toward the surface by herself. She was observed for part of the ascent but not all the way as the group entered the wreck. When the group surfaced they found her to not be in the boat and they started looking on other boats to see if she was with a "wrong" boat. When they determined that she was not on another boat the DM re entered the water to look for her and found heron the bottom just north of the wreck. She had probably been underwater for 1 hour or more before recovery and there was no chance for her.

The police confiscated her tank and gear.

These are the only first hand facts I can report.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom