Another CZM diving death Nov 21.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been posted in here that the current was very strong at the wreck that day

I believe the two posters who mentioned "ripping" current were talking about the fact that there *can* be a strong current at that site. However, neither of them had knowledge of the conditions on the day of the incident. Other people who have dived there have said that it can just as easily be calm, and that strong current is not a given. (Post #97 discusses it somewhat).

Unless I missed or have forgotten something, I don't believe anyone who knows has stated what the conditions were on that day, current-wise (but please correct me if you have found this information).

As wsopfan mentioned, there is Carbon Monoxide poisoning (remote).

There is something else that is coming to the fore these days: Immersion Pulmonary Edema. Because your body is producing the same fluids it will produce when you drown, this is very difficult to assess in an otherwise "drowning" scenario.

As wsopfan mentioned, there is Carbon Monoxide poisoning (remote).

There is something else that is coming to the fore these days: Immersion Pulmonary Edema. Because your body is producing the same fluids it will produce when you drown, this is very difficult to assess in an otherwise "drowning" scenario.

Gord: It has NOT been posted here that the current was strong that day. This is the second time that YOU have said this. I offered you a possible "out" earlier (in that JAX said current had been strong a few weeks earlier) but no one who was actually in the water on that day has confirmed this. Can you produce a link to support this theory of yours? It is entirely possible that the current MAY have been strong but until someone who dived the wreck on that day, at roughly that time, then you're shooting blanks. And that's not your style.

It MAY be as you said following the part about the current: that she didn't enter and just got swept away. But at the same time, a diver can easily enough hang onto any part of the wreck to wait for the group to emerge assuming they are still over the wreck. Maybe she just wasn't over the wreck and had nothing to hang onto. But none of that means the current was particularly strong; just stronger than that diver's swimming ability.

<speculation alert>
It has been posted in here that the current was very strong at the wreck that day and that Suzanne alone elected not to enter the wreck. It occurred to me that she may have tried to stay on the wreck and wait for the group, gotten swept away, and gotten herself in a situation like I did trying to get back.

Reactions: Jax
MMM, I agree, but he did begin his post with <speculation alert>, so a bit of slack is appropriate. As with many dive tragedies, it is doubtful we will ever know what happened. Hopefully some solace can be found knowing that she passed doing something she loved, in a place she loved.

I am afraid we really have nothing to go on for a cause, other than being left alone - and we probably won't I fear.

I can attest that two days after this incident, the current was in fact ripping at this site. I only have about 25 -30 dives in Cozumel, so is it reasonable speculation that the current was just as strong two days earlier?

Reactions: Jax
I can attest that two days after this incident, the current was in fact ripping at this site. I only have about 25 -30 dives in Cozumel, so is it reasonable speculation that the current was just as strong two days earlier?
But currents can change quickly, and vary daily. 2 days away is way beyond speculation, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom