Another Cozumel noob looking for advice from the regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you choose to go with one of the steel tank ops, you could be pulling some very long bottom times and over a few days, you may get quite chilled; I do. In the summer, I wear a 3/2 BARE with a beanie. As others have mentioned, there are hydroids; mostly they are attached to the reef but sometimes there ARE floaty/stingy things in the water. I have seen people with some pretty ugly hydroid stings.

Oh yea, pick me for the hydroids. Last time Alison pointed out the mother of all lobster in a little cave. I was sort of slightly upside down trying to get a picture. Looked as big as a german shepherd. Thought I was good, as I steadied to get the shot. Then I felt the gentle brush on my knee and I said to myself "is that a hydroid?" and then I realized I could actually feel everyone of those little buggers stinging me all 2,732 of them..... I thought, "Oh dear, THAT is going to leave a mark." And it did. Thankfully most of my reaction to them is visual. It looked awlful and this one was bad enough to start to itch and hurt a little esp. where the bottom of my shorts rubbed it. I sprayed it with solarcaine and it was ok in a day or so. Took a while to fade. Had a lovely deep purple color towards the end..... I still go semi-commando, as I don't want to mistaken for a bratwurst if possibile... We went to Playa Corona and some lady was telling her friend that I had fire coral. Sheez, I have better boyancy control than that.....

And if you are worried about a tinkled-up wet suit, then I guess you don't want a wetsuit valet. Do you really think they get washed individually?

There are 4 Admirals clubs in DFW - one on each concourse. We have been to the one in Concourse D. I don't recall Barcoloungers but big chairs and couches. Plenty of space.

I normally dive a 1 mil long in Coz and take a 3 mil in case I need more as I hate being cold. Lee is used to diving California so may find the tropical water cozy but tolerances vary. At any rate I like long suit! I have a 1 mil short I bought by mistake a decade ago, still fits - wear it at the lake or swimming pool.
And if you are worried about a tinkled-up wet suit, then I guess you don't want a wetsuit valet. Do you really think they get washed individually?
That's why I wash mine in my shower. I also take a small spray bottle of pet urine spray.

It's called disinfectent for a reason. It disinfects everything it comes in contact with. Do you think that in a hospital, they separately disinfect each test tube, etc. etc.?

I normally dive a 1 mil long in Coz and take a 3 mil in case I need more as I hate being cold. Lee is used to diving California so may find the tropical water cozy but tolerances vary. At any rate I like long suit! I have a 1 mil short I bought by mistake a decade ago, still fits - wear it at the lake or swimming pool.

That's why I wash mine in my shower. I also take a small spray bottle of pet urine spray.
You spray pet urine in your suit to counteract your own? DandyDon, you never fail to surprise me.

Well, ya'll convinced me - guess I need to find myself a 1- or 3-mil wetsuit before I go! What about diving in a wetsuit liner? I'm used to diving in c-c-c-COLD water, so that water's going to feel pretty balmy to me (it was 57 at depth when I dove on Thursday). My husband has one and that's what he wore when we were diving in Belize, and he was perfectly comfy. I could pick up one up for not too much money...

Anyway, wanted to mention that I spent about 45 minutes chatting with Dave and Memo from Aldora today at the scuba show in Long Beach. Great guys, and we discussed many things. I feel very comfortable with them, and that's who I'm going to dive with. :)

Meanwhile, on the roll-call thread, we've already set up two meet-n-greets with the Scubaboarders who will be down there in July. All in all it's shaping up to be an excellent trip! Thanks again for all the fabulous advice!

A wetsuit liner or dive skin may well be enough for you, and if not - then you can wear it under a rented suit.

Actually, Don, I think you're on to something there. I can pick up a liner and wear that even under a shorty (which might look kinda weird, but then diving isn't exactly the most fashionable sport, after all!). And if I find that I don't need the shorty, I can dive in just the liner. I would find more use for a liner than a 3-mil suit at home (I can wear it under my 7-mil on really cold days), and it would be much less bulk for packing.

Dave at Aldora told me he'd throw in the shorty for free, so I think this might be the best solution.

Actually, Don, I think you're on to something there. I can pick up a liner and wear that even under a shorty (which might look kinda weird, but then diving isn't exactly the most fashionable sport, after all!). And if I find that I don't need the shorty, I can dive in just the liner. I would find more use for a liner than a 3-mil suit at home (I can wear it under my 7-mil on really cold days), and it would be much less bulk for packing.

Dave at Aldora told me he'd throw in the shorty for free, so I think this might be the best solution.

I frequently dive my shorty with a full skin underneath. You're right - not exactly fashionable, but it works!! I'd wear just the shorty but I invariably get stung by sea lice (or something!) if I don't wear the skin. When the water gets warm, I just wear the skin. Doesn't seem to matter the time of year - anything out there will find and bite me!

Back
Top Bottom