Another Cozumel noob looking for advice from the regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David's margaritas are legendary. Almost legendary as the man himself.
Hope to see you guys in July David. I may have to come back for the big July 4 party. Last year was legendary. I am here now, but have to go back for a mandatory family event. Don't have to, but I will be on the mandatory sh-- list if I do not. I have miles. Time to use them!
Please give that itty-bitty bride of yours a really big hug from me!

I'm booked at the Cozumel Palace July 1-10. I managed to get first-class flights using points, so we'll get to travel in style :).
I had a very tough time getting CO to be cooperative booking our flights with points for our June trip. The only way we managed to get first-class for all legs at the "saver" rate was to do ONT-IAH in two legs via US Air instead of flying direct. Oh well, at least we'll have bigger seats and free booze even though US Air is too cheap to provide real food, and I've never been to the Phoenix airport before so that will be a new adventure.

Having done enough red-eyes and too-early flights in my past, I prefer to fly the easy way in. We're only making it as far as Houston on the 14th, then fly to Coz on the morning of the 15th after a refreshing overnight at the IAH Sheraton. But we're good there, even though I let my PC membership lapse after selling my company. J got an offer for the Chase Presidential Plus Master Card that includes PC membership, first year's $395 fee waived and we can cancel before getting charged next year, so we're looking forward to those excellent PC bloody mary's on the morning of the 15th absolutely gratis.

I had a very tough time getting CO to be cooperative booking our flights with points for our June trip. The only way we managed to get first-class for all legs at the "saver" rate was to do ONT-IAH in two legs via US Air instead of flying direct. Oh well, at least we'll have bigger seats and free booze even though US Air is too cheap to provide real food, and I've never been to the Phoenix airport before so that will be a new adventure.

I used my Amex points, and had almost enough for two first-class tickets on American Airlines. The great thing about Amex's pay-with-points is that it's not "reward travel" with limits on flights, you just pick your flight and they pay with however many points you've got, a dollar a point. Worked great! Two first class tickets only cost me a couple hundred bucks.

We are doing a red-eye there, which I'm not thrilled about but it was the only option that wasn't a whole lot more money. We have a 4 1/2 hour layover in Dallas, but since we're flying first class we'll get to chill in the first-class lounge, I assume.

I'm a traditionalist, just using straight CO miles. Thanks to a retail business in the past and the opportunity to haved purchased a lot of inventory with a credit card at no difference in cost, I managed to rack up a few miles, still have close to 900,000 even after two biz/first-class trips to Italy in the past year and Thai biz class to Bali when we went to Wakatobi last year. But no longer having any elite status, it can be tough to use the miles most efficiently. I would have been fine flying this one in coach, especially since CO no longer allows free luggage over 50 lbs (I decided not to bring my camera after all), but we got stuck flying 2 cramped hours in a RJ on my last trip and I'm trying to make up for it even if we have to stop in Phoenix en-route.

You might want to make sure about chilling in the lounge. Airlines can be rather strict about access and I know for a fact that domestic (including Mexico/Caribbean) first-class does not warrant a pass to the President's Club for CO or to UA's Red Carpet Club - it has to be a transatlantic or transpacific flight on CO, which they brand as BusinessFirst, and I'm pretty sure it's similar on UA which I'm slowly getting to know. I have no idea, though, what AA does.

We flew through Dallas in February, first time there in a long time for me. Cool River Cafe in the D terminal served up some excellent steaks, pretty much the only redeeming value of the entire state of Texas IMHO. They do know how to cook beef. Too bad they don't have a good place for steak in the Houston airport, my normal intersect with Texas. We'll normally get seafood in Pappadeaux's there, though this time, with the US Air connect, I think it will be Fuddruckers instead.

LOL turns out you're right about the lounges - I called AA, and we do NOT get free access into the Admirals Club in DFW, because our itinerary is considered domestic, not international. Frankly I wasn't aware that Mexico was a part of the US, but whatev. We may consider buying the one-day pass to the Admirals Club, but only if they have lounger-type seating where we can stretch out. If we're going to be miserable and uncomfortable in upright seats, we might as well be miserable and upright for free. :wink:

Have you been to the DFW Admiral's Club? Any idea if there are barcaloungers or anything like that in there? I'm also checking on FlyterTalk.

Hey LeeAnne: I was at the scubashow this morning and had a chance to speak with Dave from Aldora. He says that they have had quite a bit of experience dealing with disabled divers and your situation would not be a problem. He showed me that they have a cut away on their boat for boarding so it is only 2 steps. also you would remove your gear in the water and the crew hauls it out. Also, there would be no carrying of your gear to and from the boat as they keep it, clean it, set it up for the next day for you. I think this would be ideal for you. Plus they match up divers with similar abilities and no more than 6 on a boat.

Dennis thank you so much for talking to them! I was going to try to get down there today, but it took me all day to book my trip. So many options, and the damn flights kept changing every time I'd search. It was really tricky - I wanted to get Mom and me on the same flights, but I had to purchase them separately so we could each use our Amex points. But every time I'd do a search the damn prices would come up differently! Took me at least a couple hours to finally get both Amex accounts showing the same flights with the same prices.

I'm planning on being down at the show all day tomorrow - I'll get out early. I'm sure I'll have a chance to chat with Aldora at some point.

Hope you had a good time at the show!

Good show, scubaboard (first row towards the back) has a booth and saw our diving buddies Dave & his lovely bride Marion, Elena and Pete (in fancy clothes shaking hands and kissing babies), and Dr. Bill. Aldora is booth 527, scubaboard 159, Peace 403. Lots of goodies to look at, bought a few things as well (tilos TI gloves) and another light.
Oh, remember no gloves or knives in the Cozumel dive park. Leave them at home. Hotel Cozumel had a nice booth also.
Have fun at the show. Stop at the SB booth first and get your SB ID badge. It was fun walking around and every once in a while someone would say, hey SB love your guys.
Oh and it only took me 6 months of waiting for airfare to get to the right price before booking LAX-COZ.

Hey LeeAnne: I was at the scubashow this morning and had a chance to speak with Dave from Aldora. He says that they have had quite a bit of experience dealing with disabled divers and your situation would not be a problem. He showed me that they have a cut away on their boat for boarding so it is only 2 steps. also you would remove your gear in the water and the crew hauls it out. Also, there would be no carrying of your gear to and from the boat as they keep it, clean it, set it up for the next day for you. I think this would be ideal for you.

This is no different from Living Underwater or Liquid Blue. Except that unlike Liquid Blue, Living Underwater also keeps and disinfects your wetsuits. Frankly, I don't know what Aldora does or doesn't do with wetsuits. Maybe someone who has dived with them can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom