Annual vs. biannual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmartien

New
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a new regulator, and have noticed that several regulators from Atomic (B2, M1, T1x) require biannual service instead of the usual annual service. This could lead to considerable cost savings over the lifetime of the regulator.

My question is, do people think that it is safe to forgo annual service? The Atomic regulators are designed with corrosion resistant metal parts in order to extend the service interval. What about the soft parts? Can they go 2 years safely?

My diving is recreational, ranging from tropical to relatively cold water (San Diego). I don't exceed 120 ft and don't do deco diving. There are many choices of high quality regulators for such conditions, so the service cost savings could be a deciding factor in my choice.

Thanks for your advice!

Apeks and Aqualung are also on a every other year service plan. That being said, if your reg isnt cared for, it will still require annual service. The difference is that you will pay for the service kits, instead of them being covered by the warranty (IF any). I have not had any issues with regs being serviced every other year, so long as the owner takes care of them after diving (rinsing in fresh water, not getting water inside the first stage, keeping sand out of the second stages, etc,etc).

One of the other features that allows Atomic to offer bi-annual services is that they have a 'seat saver' feature which basically backs off the orifice from the low pressure seat in the second stage when the reg is pressurized. This helps eliminate the groove that is often present after a period of time.

Just for information, I have translated the results of a long time reg test published in the German diving mag Tauchen.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t34453.html

It shows the change in performance of several tested regs when new, after 15 and again after 50 dives. There are significant changes in breathing effort and characteristics even in the brands you mentioned. Eventhough none of the big brand name regs failed or became unsafe.
The Atomic for example was still the easiest breathing reg but breathing efforts increased by more than 35%.
It is up to you to decide whether such a performance decrease is acceptable or not.
I decided for myself that I'll service my regs (Mares Abyss)every 100 dives or biannually even if dove less than the 100 (Didn't happen yet:D).
You will never be able to save so much as you can lose because of a bad reg :wink:
A good way of saving money would be taking a technician course and do it yourself. Than not only you will be able to save money but you will know exactly what was done to your reg. :D

I have an Atomic and I get it serviced every 2 years as per the factory recommendation. I do not notice much performance degradation over that 2 year period. I use my reg at least once a month and I do about 150 dives a year on it with no trouble. I have had it for 7 years now. I took a very good equipment class and I can tune my second stage without taking it to the shop, I never mess with the first stage because I do not have the proper tools. I need fine tune the second stage about 1 time a year if it free flows. Never more that a tiny adjustment. My Atomic looks new inside after 7 years and 3 times to be serviced.

Scott

I just looked at the service reqs for Aqualung on their website (have a Legend)...

They want you to have it looked at every year by an authorized dealer. The dealer's schedule will be an inspection every year, but a total rebuild every other year (parts gratis).

So it's kind of a semiannual service, but kinda not...

JAG

It depends on how much diving you do, where you do it and how well you maintain your reg.

A diver who makes 1 or 2 tropical trips a year and rinses the reg properly at the end of the trip can most likely go 2 years between services with no problems. (But then you have to enjoy taking risks, be a really poor planner, or just be cheap to spend big bucks on a dive trip and not have the reg inspected and flow tested before you leave. We do this all the time for people to ensure things will work properly when they get there. It is cheap insurance.)

A different tropical diver who just dunks his reg in the rinse bucket and calls it good on the other hand will most likely not go 2 years without a problem as the salt crystals in the reg will cause problems.

A freshwater diver who dives in clean water on an infrequent basis can again probably go 2 (or more) years between services assuming good preventive maintenence. But the same diver who makes 150 dives per years would be better served by an annual service.

First stages in general can go longer between service intervals than second stages as the second stage seats tend to take a set. At best breathing performance suffers and at worst the reg will freeflow. (And curing the freeflow by increasing the spring pressure on the second stage seat will solve the problem but at the expense of increased cracking effort.)

I pre and post test the regs that come across the bench for annual service and most show a substantial improvement in cracking effort after the annual service. Given that most of this work gets done over the winter or other extended break from diving, the diver usually does not notice the improvement, but it is measurable and significant on the test bench.

Devices that unload the spring pressure pressing the seat against the orifice (either mecahnical devices that depress the lever or pneumatic designs) do help to prevent the formation of an excessive seating groove in the second stage seat and these would be the only second stages where I would consider skipping an annual service. For a lot of divers the expense of a good annual service is worth it to get maximum performance and ease of breathing out of their regulator.

Despite the bi-annual service reccomendation, on most US Divers/Aqualung regs, I see a pretty dramatic decrease in performance after 1 year and will at least replace the second stage seat if the customer does not want a full rebuild. If the reg has not been well maintained and is full of carbon, sand, silt or salt, I will pretty much insist on doing a full rebuild anyway.

One big confounding variable here however is the quality of the service. Some techs do not take the time, (and others do not have the ability) to tune the reg for peak performance. To make matters worse, the specs set by many companies for cracking effort are significantly higher than they need to be for peak performance. This is done to improve freeflow resistance in most cases and in some cases to increase the likely hood that a non adjustable reg can make it through the 1-2 year service interval without needing adjustment to correct a minor freeflow.

There is also I suspect a marketing angle. With proper tuning and a decent 1rst stage, I can, after discussing the pros and cons with the customer, get a relatively inexpensive second stage like an R190 or R390 to breathe very well (with cracking efforts well below the recommended specs) and make up much of the difference in performance between a low end reg like the R190 and high end G500. That potentially impacts sales and many store owners would prefer to address a customer concern with a hard breathing reg by selling them a more expensive reg.

DA Aquamaster:
It depends on how much diving you do, where you do it and how well you maintain your reg.

A diver who makes 1 or 2 tropical trips a year and rinses the reg properly at the end of the trip can most likely go 2 years between services with no problems. (But then you have to enjoy taking risks, be a really poor planner, or just be cheap to spend big bucks on a dive trip and not have the reg inspected and flow tested before you leave. We do this all the time for people to ensure things will work properly when they get there. It is cheap insurance.)

A different tropical diver who just dunks his reg in the rinse bucket and calls it good on the other hand will most likely not go 2 years without a problem as the salt crystals in the reg will cause problems.

A freshwater diver who dives in clean water on an infrequent basis can again probably go 2 (or more) years between services assuming good preventive maintenence. But the same diver who makes 150 dives per years would be better served by an annual service.

First stages in general can go longer between service intervals than second stages as the second stage seats tend to take a set. At best breathing performance suffers and at worst the reg will freeflow. (And curing the freeflow by increasing the spring pressure on the second stage seat will solve the problem but at the expense of increased cracking effort.)

I pre and post test the regs that come across the bench for annual service and most show a substantial improvement in cracking effort after the annual service. Given that most of this work gets done over the winter or other extended break from diving, the diver usually does not notice the improvement, but it is measurable and significant on the test bench.

Devices that unload the spring pressure pressing the seat against the orifice (either mecahnical devices that depress the lever or pneumatic designs) do help to prevent the formation of an excessive seating groove in the second stage seat and these would be the only second stages where I would consider skipping an annual service. For a lot of divers the expense of a good annual service is worth it to get maximum performance and ease of breathing out of their regulator.

Despite the bi-annual service reccomendation, on most US Divers/Aqualung regs, I see a pretty dramatic decrease in performance after 1 year and will at least replace the second stage seat if the customer does not want a full rebuild. If the reg has not been well maintained and is full of carbon, sand, silt or salt, I will pretty much insist on doing a full rebuild anyway.

One big confounding variable here however is the quality of the service. Some techs do not take the time, (and others do not have the ability) to tune the reg for peak performance. To make matters worse, the specs set by many companies for cracking effort are significantly higher than they need to be for peak performance. This is done to improve freeflow resistance in most cases and in some cases to increase the likely hood that a non adjustable reg can make it through the 1-2 year service interval without needing adjustment to correct a minor freeflow.

There is also I suspect a marketing angle. With proper tuning and a decent 1rst stage, I can, after discussing the pros and cons with the customer, get a relatively inexpensive second stage like an R190 or R390 to breathe very well (with cracking efforts well below the recommended specs) and make up much of the difference in performance between a low end reg like the R190 and high end G500. That potentially impacts sales and many store owners would prefer to address a customer concern with a hard breathing reg by selling them a more expensive reg.
Thanks for the post

Thanks a lot to everyone for providing helpful info. I've settled on an Aqualung Legend. The alternating year service cycle (inspection one year, overhaul the next) sounds a lot safer than just waiting 2 years to me.

My reg sees a lot of cycles of dive, rinse, dry, wait 3 days, repeat, which is probably the best way to promote salt crystal formation. Waiting 2 years with no inspection or service just doesn't sound safe given this treatment.

The final factor in my decision was cost. Aqualung is offering $100 off on the Legend right now. Tough to beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom