Annoying exhaust bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis is correct about Vintage Double Hose having a good chromer. I recently got my DA Aquamaster back and it looks amazing.

[url=http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111853]
IMG_08761.jpg
[/url]

The picture does not do it justice. Also, I agree that the double hose regulators have a strong potential to be addictive. This is my first one and I am already thinking of getting a second one.

Luis is correct about Vintage Double Hose having a good chromer. I recently got my DA Aquamaster back and it looks amazing.

IMG_08761.jpg
[/url]

The picture does not do it justice. Also, I agree that the double hose regulators have a couldn't strong potential to be addictive. This is my first one and I am already thinking of getting a second one.

I couldn't agree more. I recently Bought my fist Double hose. I got a Royal Aquamaster from a member of Vintage double hose. Now I cant stop. It's crazy!

To the OP how's this for no bubbles in the face? The guy on the right is using a Double hose with Phoenix nozzle and the guy on the left is not... You should check outhttp://www.vintagedoublehose.com.. Even If you decide to stay with Plastic you can learn a lot about the origins of diving on this site.....

Good luck!

Attachments

• AlexeyCrimea.jpg
    AlexeyCrimea.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
If you think bubbles are annoying just wait until the guys start outbidding you on every dang regulator that pops up on ebay. :wink:

N

IMG_08761.jpg
[/url]

The picture does not do it justice. Also, I agree that the double hose regulators have a strong potential to be addictive. This is my first one and I am already thinking of getting a second one.

I looked at that and said "That's beautiful"! And then later I wondered to myself how did they chrome around the sticker? Do you know?

If you think bubbles are annoying just wait until the guys start outbidding you on every dang regulator that pops up on ebay. :wink:

N

Yep, the vintage community jumps on regs straight away and then they become expensive
Stop collecting them all you bastards and give some of us DH wannabe's a go!
:wink:

I looked at that and said "That's beautiful"! And then later I wondered to myself how did they chrome around the sticker? Do you know?

Those are both new reproduction stickers (the little crown and the square label).
If you want to reuse an original square label, you can. It does have to be removed for the plating process.

Thanks, but all you guys are talking about a double-hose regulator. I really don't want to buy a new regulator and was wondering if there is something I can attach to my exhaust Tee to reroute the bubbles instead.

What do you have for a mask? Is it low profile by any chance? A "normal volume mask will project further and better channel exhaust around the mask. This will help so some extent.

Are you swimming in good trim? If so most of the exhaust is flowing along you jaw and over your shoulder. Not in your field of view

I go between Sherwood single hose regulators with the walrus exhaust T and my double hose PRAM and never have a bubble in the face problem with either.

As for sound I also find very little difference in cold water where it's all muted by a hood. In warm/hood free water the double hose regulator does eliminate the bubble flow feel.

To get to your root question the point of true exhaust needs to be co-located with the delivery valve diagram. If you just route the exhaust elsewhere then the inhalation and exhalation depths can vary and you will have a hard time. A simple open ended exhaust extension hose will fill and empty with water as you change positions and have variable performance.

Walter may be on to something.

Pete

The labels are actually metal embossed and painted and are held to the regulator top can by small bent over tabs that can be carefully bent up enough to remove the label for chroming and then reinstall it. Some people use commercial grade double side adhesive to re-secure the labels. Some early double hose had the labels riveted on and some of the very last round label USD regs had a metal silk screened medallion that was bonded to the top can. A few even had a foil decal.

There are reproduction labels and emblems for replacement of lost or non restorable pieces. I like the "faux" labels but of course nothing beats the originals even if they are a bit beat up.

There are several way to get them rechromed, local shops as I have found in my city are fully capable of any sort of plating. VDH has a line on an excellent plater, there are several the community have done via mail and have worked out well.

One reason double hose regulators are quiet (save for the single stage units due to the venturi jet whoosh) is the bubbles are broken up by the holes in the can. If they would provide a silencer/baffle for single hose exhaust that would break the bubbles up into smaller ones then there would be less noise and less ear beatings.

N

The labels on that reg are reproduction labels that were put on the regulator after it was re-chromed. Thanks to many of the double hose lovers around, there are alot of really nice products availalbe today.

Luis, the Phoenix Nozzle is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom