Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bolle, if you have the time (and havent already done so) could you maybe write up your problem in Subsurface on their bug tracker?

Thanks for the compliments, appreciate them!With regards the Subsurface issue, I just downloaded the latest version (4.5) and this seems to solve the issue. Only thing I don't see is the computer reported ceiling, which is a data field but does not seem to be used/read by Subsurface.Also, I wonder if Subgravity/Seabear would like to comment on my findings, whether these are going to be incorporated in future releases?

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 07:23 AM ----------

Hi, a question for the Petrel/OSTC etc users. I noticed the H3 counts down deco stops in 1 min increments if more than 10 min (so 14, 13, 12 min etc) and 20 sec increments if below 10 min (so 8.40, 8.20, 8.00 etc). I believe the change is at 10 min but not exactly sure. The safety stop is counted down in 1 sec intervals (so 2.51, 2.50, 2.49 etc). I feel I would like a more 'live/direct' countdown.

How does the countdown go on other computers? Or is this a normal kind of countdown?

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, just saw that this new post was added to my previous one. Don't know why?

Anyways, a question for the Petrel/OSTC etc users. I noticed the H3 counts down deco stops in 1 min increments if more than 10 min (so 14, 13, 12 min etc) and 20 sec increments if below 10 min (so 8.40, 8.20, 8.00 etc). I believe the change is at 10 min but not exactly sure. The safety stop is counted down in 1 sec intervals (so 2.51, 2.50, 2.49 etc). I feel I would like a more 'live/direct' countdown.

How does the countdown go on other computers? Or is this a normal kind of countdown?

---------- Post added October 18th, 2015 at 06:12 AM ----------

One thing I really like about the H3 is that the screen shows you what the buttons function are in each menu, basically ‘hints’. It also shows you if a long or short button press is needed and what these do.

However, after some dives and surface time with the H3 I would suggest some improvements on this great feature which could make it even better imo.

1) First I would change the direction arrows to align more with the actual button position and press.
Right now the bottom of the display looks like this:
|<- left button |<- right button

My suggestion is to change the ‘hints’ to this:
->| left button right button |<-

As this might pile the text together in the center making unclear what hint belongs to what button you could add some divider in the middle:
->| left button || right button |<-

2) Also I would change the indication whether a long or short press is needed. Right now it is shown by the length of the arrow of the ‘hint'
now
|<- short press
|<— long press

This works reasonable well when both options are available, you can see/compare the different arrow lengths and thus know if you need to press long or short for the desired function.
However when seeing either a long or short arrow individually (so not both at same time), it become less clear if it is a short or long press as you can’t compare arrow lengths. This is amplified as you have a relatively small display and you are underwater with other tasks to attend. This imo leads to some confusion and distraction under water (‘was that a short or long press arrow again?’)

Therefore I suggest the following change:
|< short press
|<— long press

In this way it is directly visible what type of press is needed.

3) The H3 suggests when to switch a gas, but now it is not shown on the display how to do/confirm this switch. It is describes in the manual (long press right button), but there are no ‘hints' on the display. (as I am aware of from reading the manual, I have not done any multi gas dives with the H3 yet). An important button press as a gas switch should be very easy to see how to do in my opinion.
Therefore I suggest that when the gas switch function is available on a button, this is clearly shown by a button function hint:

—>| GAS SWITCH

I would also suggest moving this button function to the left button from the current right button in both ‘detailed’ page and big digits. This as the ascent rate indicator is already occupying the bottom right of the display so no room for the ‘hint’ there. And also in the ‘big digits’ display it means the ’switch’ text will be in the same box as the gas info, which seems a logical place.

Sorry for the double post, just saw that this new post was added to my previous one. Don't know why?

Anyways, a question for the Petrel/OSTC etc users. I noticed the H3 counts down deco stops in 1 min increments if more than 10 min (so 14, 13, 12 min etc) and 20 sec increments if below 10 min (so 8.40, 8.20, 8.00 etc). I believe the change is at 10 min but not exactly sure. The safety stop is counted down in 1 sec intervals (so 2.51, 2.50, 2.49 etc). I feel I would like a more 'live/direct' countdown.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2015 at 06:12 AM ----------

One thing I really like about the H3 is that the screen shows you what the buttons function are in each menu, basically ‘hints’. It also shows you if a long or short button press is needed and what these do.

However, after some dives and surface time with the H3 I would suggest some improvements on this great feature which could make it even better imo.

1) First I would change the direction arrows to align more with the actual button position and press.
Right now the bottom of the display looks like this:
|<- left button |<- right button

My suggestion is to change the ‘hints’ to this:
->| left button right button |<-

As this might pile the text together in the center making unclear what hint belongs to what button you could add some divider in the middle:
->| left button || right button |<-

2) Also I would change the indication whether a long or short press is needed. Right now it is shown by the length of the arrow of the ‘hint'
now
|<- short press
|<— long press

This works reasonable well when both options are available, you can see/compare the different arrow lengths and thus know if you need to press long or short for the desired function.
However when seeing either a long or short arrow individually (so not both at same time), it become less clear if it is a short or long press as you can’t compare arrow lengths. This is amplified as you have a relatively small display and you are underwater with other tasks to attend. This imo leads to some confusion and distraction under water (‘was that a short or long press arrow again?’)

Therefore I suggest the following change:
|< short press
|<— long press

In this way it is directly visible what type of press is needed.

3) The H3 suggests when to switch a gas, but now it is not shown on the display how to do/confirm this switch. It is describes in the manual (long press right button), but there are no ‘hints' on the display. (as I am aware of from reading the manual, I have not done any multi gas dives with the H3 yet). An important button press as a gas switch should be very easy to see how to do in my opinion.
Therefore I suggest that when the gas switch function is available on a button, this is clearly shown by a button function hint:

—>| GAS SWITCH

I would also suggest moving this button function to the left button from the current right button in both ‘detailed’ page and big digits. This as the ascent rate indicator is already occupying the bottom right of the display so no room for the ‘hint’ there. And also in the ‘big digits’ display it means the ’switch’ text will be in the same box as the gas info, which seems a logical place.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions Bolle. I will pass them along to the developers for consideration. Your input is much appreciated!

Looking for a chance to demo this computer?

Join SubGravity for a try dive experience on the HammerHead CCR on Saturday, 14 November 2015 at Blue Grotto in Williston, Florida.This event kicks off at 9am with an introduction to the HammerHead CCR. Each participant will spend a minimum of 1 hour with a HammerHead CCR Instructor learning the basics of diving a rebreather and enjoying a long dive at the site. Our goal is to provide a quality experience for your first HammerHead CCR exposure.

This event has a lot of activities you can participate in before or after your rebreather dive:

• You can bring your personal dive equipment (or rent equipment at Blue Grotto) to dive
  • If you are a certified cave diver and you bring your cave diving equipment, you can experience a guided cave dive in the Blue Grotto Cave
  • Sub-Gravity Diver Propulsion Vehicles (DPVs), engineered by Bonex will be available for demo dives
  • SubGravity H3 dive computer, powered by Seabear will be available for demo dives

Check out our facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1484721308500557/

And remember, space is limited, so make sure you book your spot (complete the order) on our website, here: https://www.sub-gravity.com/product/demo-day-2015-blue-grotto/

Looking for a chance to demo this computer?Join SubGravity for a try dive experience on the HammerHead CCR on Saturday, 14 November 2015 at Blue Grotto in Williston, Florida.This event kicks off at 9am with an introduction to the HammerHead CCR. Each participant will spend a minimum of 1 hour with a HammerHead CCR Instructor learning the basics of diving a rebreather and enjoying a long dive at the site. Our goal is to provide a quality experience for your first HammerHead CCR exposure.This event has a lot of activities you can participate in before or after your rebreather dive:
  • You can bring your personal dive equipment (or rent equipment at Blue Grotto) to dive
  • If you are a certified cave diver and you bring your cave diving equipment, you can experience a guided cave dive in the Blue Grotto Cave
  • Sub-Gravity Diver Propulsion Vehicles (DPVs), engineered by Bonex will be available for demo dives
  • SubGravity H3 dive computer, powered by Seabear will be available for demo dives
Check out our facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1484721308500557/And remember, space is limited, so make sure you book your spot (complete the order) on our website, here: https://www.sub-gravity.com/product/demo-day-2015-blue-grotto/
Already signed the wife and I up! Can't wait! Have been wanting to demo this computer for a while now. The CCR and DPV's will be awesome too!

Back
Top Bottom