Anilao-Sabang advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone. I've gotten a lot of helpful info from this forum so far. So thanks for that.
I'm headed to Anilao and then Sabang in a 2 weeks. I have booked with Buceo Anilao and found an Air BnB at Sabang. I'll most likely dive with Blue Ribbon divers there.

My question is about returning to Manila for my flight. I fly out of Manila on Friday the 13th (cue ominous music) at 12:30 pm. I'm thinking I should overnight in Manila on the 12th instead of trying to get from Sabang to the airport in one shot (I've read conflicting stories about if this is necessary) . But I'm not sure how close I need to stay to the airport. I hear Manila traffic is awful but I've also read stories of people getting there in 20 minutes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Manila hotels that are nice but affordable and close enough to the airport that I won't really need to worry about traffic?

I'm also a bit confused about the travel options to Manila. The SI-Kat ferry/bus seems to only leave once a day from Sabang. It's a bit earlier than I need. I know there are other ferry and bus options but I'm not sure where I would actually be dropped off in Manila.

Anyone have experience with Buses from Batangas Pier to Manila that can offer some info?

Also, my arriving flight to Manila gets in late at around 10:30pm. Anyone know if I'll be able to exchange money in the airport at that hour?

One of my travel companions that has a mid-day flight similar to yours in Manila inquired about leaving very early the morning of or the day before. He received mixed responses and I think given everything that could go wrong, he opted to do an overnight in Manila and leave the day before. It also ensured a more restful night's rest without an early up.

Hi everyone. I've gotten a lot of helpful info from this forum so far. So thanks for that.
I'm headed to Anilao and then Sabang in a 2 weeks. I have booked with Buceo Anilao and found an Air BnB at Sabang. I'll most likely dive with Blue Ribbon divers there.

My question is about returning to Manila for my flight. I fly out of Manila on Friday the 13th (cue ominous music) at 12:30 pm. I'm thinking I should overnight in Manila on the 12th instead of trying to get from Sabang to the airport in one shot (I've read conflicting stories about if this is necessary) . But I'm not sure how close I need to stay to the airport. I hear Manila traffic is awful but I've also read stories of people getting there in 20 minutes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Manila hotels that are nice but affordable and close enough to the airport that I won't really need to worry about traffic?

I'm also a bit confused about the travel options to Manila. The SI-Kat ferry/bus seems to only leave once a day from Sabang. It's a bit earlier than I need. I know there are other ferry and bus options but I'm not sure where I would actually be dropped off in Manila.

Anyone have experience with Buses from Batangas Pier to Manila that can offer some info?

Also, my arriving flight to Manila gets in late at around 10:30pm. Anyone know if I'll be able to exchange money in the airport at that hour?
Exchanging money shouldn't be an issue. There are also ATMs inside the airport that generally offer a better exchange rate than you get at he kiosk. If you exchange cash make sure that your bills have no blemishes. I had it happen twice in the past, that the bank rejected a bill that had e.g. a tiny tear.

Manila traffic is excruciating! Leave yourself some time.

The first public ferry departs around 0530 and if all your lucky stars are aligned properly then you should be able to catch the flight! If I were you I will definitely stay overnight in Manila.
Get the Si-Kat transfer all the way to City State Tower Hotel in Ermita. No need to pay for any taxi transfer. Leave early(08:00) for your flight on following morning. A white meter-taxi from City State Tower to whatever Terminal(1,2,3,4) should cost no more than P250.00(US$5.00).

There are a lot of hasslers around Ermita so be very careful especially a "friendly" one. Just ignore them and don't talk back.

You can check out this page for details on how to get from Puerto Galera to Manila . You'll be able to see a google map of where the bus will drop you off in Manila.

I recommend to everyone to use grab or uber app to get around Manila , so so much easier instead of dealing with regular taxis. You can use this app to get from the bus to which ever hotel you choose to stay at.

Personally I like the red planet chain of hotels. The Red Planet Hotel Aseana City is very close to the airport. However my plan of action is usually to stay at the red planet amorsolo , the reason for this it is right off the skyway which is the elevated toll road running over a small part of Manila , by staying at the red planet Amorsolo and using the skyway I avoid a massive amount of traffic. You'll pay the toll to use the road but it's only like 20 peso. Map of the skyway. Also the amorsolo branch is very close to where the bus drops you off when coming back from Batangas so no need to wait in a taxi for very long.

Last edited:
We overnight (or get a room for the day) in Manila unless we have a slam dunk timing wise, which I don't think you do.

Manila traffic really is horrendous, and the poorly laid out airport doesn't help anything. We have stayed at the (very nice) Manila Marriott a couple times, which appears to be across the street from the airport, yet almost missed our flight once despite thinking we'd left plenty of time. The airport shuttle took over an hour even late in the evening - we were headed to Terminal 1 or 2 which are on the opposite side of the airport, which they have to drive around. You might be able to make it to Terminal 3 from hotels in that area in 20 minutes, but getting around the airport to the other side is a different matter. Lesson learned. Figure out which terminal you're leaving from, and take a look at the map. Just being close to the airport isn't necessarily the answer.

The Scubaboard Philippines invasion was at the Atlantis resorts. They're very good at transfer logistics and use the Midas hotel. It appears further away at first glance, but probably makes sense in Manila-traffic-world. City State Tower is a little further north still, but might work just about as well. That Red Planet hotel looks like a good location, I'll have to remember that.

If the OP is departing from T3 then all the hotels eg. Remington across the road from T3 at Newport City are handy. As the new walkway will make the trip in no time at all.
Any bus including Si-Kat heading to Buendia bus terminals will turn off at Dela Rosa. Si-Kat bus actually terminated at City State Tower Hotel. Get off there and take a metered taxi to New Port City and tell the driver to use the Skyway(toll is ?). The fare should be well under P150.00.

I adore the sleep quality at the City State Tower - playlist on the Karaoke seems to go back by decade after midnight - the 4am carpenters and Englebert Humperdinck hour really did it for me - it's convenient and clean and does the trick, just try and ask for a quieter room :wink:

Central advice re walking around Ermitage is pretty much bang on - I'm a solo female - ignore them keep walking and don't make eye contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom