Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Does anyone know or want to venture a guess as to how many divers get on the Doria annually? Is it still a small elite group as the texts state, or has the publicity and forums created an overfished syndrome?

I'm curious because I'd like to get on the Doria when my training and experience permit (maybe a few more years). But, I'd also like to know that it hasn't been completly raked over.

Any of you Wahoo, Seeker, or other divers have any advice?
how many divers did perish on an annual basis average?

alemaozinho:
how many divers did perish on an annual basis average?

1981 - John Barnett
1984 - Frank Kennedy
1985 - John Ormsby
1988 - Joe Drozd
1992 - Matthew Lawrence
1992 - Mike Scofield
1993 - Robert Santuli
1998 - Craig Sicola
1998 - Richard Roost
1998 - Vince Napoliello
1999 - Christopher Murley
1999 - Charlie McGurr

The three in 1998 were about 2-3 weeks apart. The two deaths in 1999 were a week apart.

decoeric:
The Gunilda in Lake Superior? Would be a good Doria type dive..

Is it 60 miles from anywhere?
Is it in 240 ft of water?
Is it Subject to suddenly changing currents (which are often different at different depths).
Does it have Topside weather that at the drop of a hat will produce mosntrous seas, and fog right in the middle of the shipping lanes?

BTW: I have never done Doria, nor will I. Especially when I talk to guys who say they are getting too old to do it any more and are 15 years my junior and have triple my diving experience.

DEEPLOU:
Is it 60 miles from anywhere?
Is it in 240 ft of water?
Is it Subject to suddenly changing currents (which are often different at different depths).
Does it have Topside weather that at the drop of a hat will produce mosntrous seas, and fog right in the middle of the shipping lanes?

BTW: I have never done Doria, nor will I. Especially when I talk to guys who say they are getting too old to do it any more and are 15 years my junior and have triple my diving experience.
This will answer all of your questions regarding the Gunild and after reading, I am sure you will agree that this wreck would be on the same level as the Doria...

http://www.tekdiv.com/the_gunilda.htm

decoeric:
This will answer all of your questions regarding the Gunild and after reading, I am sure you will agree that this wreck would be on the same level as the Doria...

http://www.tekdiv.com/the_gunilda.htm

with the exception of the remote local and the depth which is easily ratified with proper gasses and a nice boat, the doria and the ginild aren't even close to the same thing...
The gunild sounds like a great wreck for trimix training, but not even close to the danger level of the doria. The text says it all. "no current... 20 vis... upright.... intact.... almost no entanglement hazzards...". All of those things place it very far from the difficulty level of the doria.
I have not dove the doria yet, and I figure I am probably two years away from doing so, but the gunild sounds like it would be much, much easier.
It actually sounds better then some of the wrecks closer and shallower then the doria, which I have dove here in NY.

nyresq:
with the exception of the remote local and the depth which is easily ratified with proper gasses and a nice boat, the doria and the ginild aren't even close to the same thing...
The gunild sounds like a great wreck for trimix training, but not even close to the danger level of the doria. The text says it all. "no current... 20 vis... upright.... intact.... almost no entanglement hazzards...". All of those things place it very far from the difficulty level of the doria.
I have not dove the doria yet, and I figure I am probably two years away from doing so, but the gunild sounds like it would be much, much easier.
It actually sounds better then some of the wrecks closer and shallower then the doria, which I have dove here in NY.
But at the same time, I wonder how many deaths there would have been on the Doria if they did not allow penetration? If that is what you are basing your claim on which wreck is harder by the number of deaths, probably very few. The Gunilda is deeper than the Doria, the Doria I believe at the floor is 260ish, The Gunilda is 280ish so mixed gases are required on both wrecks, although the Doria hull is at 170ish. So you are deeper on the Gunilda before you even see her. There is no ambient light on the Gunilda. And lets not forget she does sit in Lake Superior so the water I believe is at least 10-15 degrees colder than the Atlantic. I have done many dives in Superior and I can tell you that the water temps begin to get to be not fun, You are looking at mid-30's bottom temps and your deco stops are going to be in that same range temperature wise, until you get to the 30 foot stops when Superior becomes a balmy 55ish,which makes for some very uncomfortable hangs.

decoeric:
But at the same time, I wonder how many deaths there would have been on the Doria if they did not allow penetration? If that is what you are basing your claim on which wreck is harder by the number of deaths, probably very few. The Gunilda is deeper than the Doria, the Doria I believe at the floor is 260ish, The Gunilda is 280ish so mixed gases are required on both wrecks, although the Doria hull is at 170ish. So you are deeper on the Gunilda before you even see her. There is no ambient light on the Gunilda. And lets not forget she does sit in Lake Superior so the water I believe is at least 10-15 degrees colder than the Atlantic. I have done many dives in Superior and I can tell you that the water temps begin to get to be not fun, You are looking at mid-30's bottom temps and your deco stops are going to be in that same range temperature wise, until you get to the 30 foot stops when Superior becomes a balmy 55ish,which makes for some very uncomfortable hangs.

I have to agree with Mark. This doesen't sound even close to the Doria.

I wonder how many deaths there would have been on the Doria if they did not allow penetration?

w/o penetration the Doria like your Gunilda is just look and see. Just look and see is vastly easier dive than any penetration.

in Lake Superior so the water I believe is at least 10-15 degrees colder than the Atlantic

If you are correct, then you must be doing it as an ice dive w/ the ice all the way to the bottom.
Depending on the time of the year, the 30 ft hang on Doria may be in the 60's the bottom is in the 30's.

I have been told the visability on the Doria can go from 20 ft to zero w/o warning.
And the current on the hang is most changable.

Again, I have not dove the Doria, but have first hand contact with several divers who have (some of whom have over 100 dives on it).

You will never convince me a wreck that is billed w/ no apparent current, no penetration, and intact comapres with one that has changing raging currents, w/penetration and is constantly deteriorating.

Back
Top Bottom