Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beach - Did you actually read this thread? There are several references to AOW folks "reaching" for the Andrea Doria.

With respect - Take some time. Relax. Go take a DIR-Fundamentals class if you'd like. Work on proper skills and bouyancy. Dive your face off. THEN start to worry about tech instruction.

Boogie711:
Beach - Did you actually read this thread? There are several references to AOW folks "reaching" for the Andrea Doria.

With respect - Take some time. Relax. Go take a DIR-Fundamentals class if you'd like. Work on proper skills and bouyancy. Dive your face off. THEN start to worry about tech instruction.

DIR ? people have been diving the Andrea Doria way before Dir
was even around. Why is it that people think a C-card is all it takes to be a wreck diver . This diver elitism has got to STOP. Nobody needs DIRs permission to dive anywhere.

I don't think it's necessarily elitism. It's good advice :) And I'm not a DIR diver either...have no aspirations to it. Doing a dive like the Doria just really requires you to be an amazing, amazing diver. Ridiculously good skills and that sort of thing....sound advice was given, even if it wasn't worded the most graciously :)

Hi Nova - when you get the chip off your shoulder, take a look again and maybe you can tell me - What part of that response said DIR has anything to do with elitism, diving the Doria or permission?

It's all about FUNDAMENTAL skills - like proper bouyancy and gas management. No one is claiming you need DIR to dive the Doria... but you don't need to take driver training to get a license, either.

there is still the Lusitania ,even more challenging ,i,ll make this my last dive just before they want to put me in a nursing home,lol,or picking up all the weights and going for a long swim ,peace !

Boogie711:
Hi Nova - when you get the chip off your shoulder, take a look again and maybe you can tell me - What part of that response said DIR has anything to do with elitism, diving the Doria or permission?

It's all about FUNDAMENTAL skills - like proper bouyancy and gas management. No one is claiming you need DIR to dive the Doria... but you don't need to take driver training to get a license, either.

Hey boogie, Very good advice about FUNDAMENTAL skills . My chip comes from divers that think DIR is the only way to dive. It seems to me that every few years someone comes along and claimes they are the dive industries gift to diving,when all along there just triing to make a buck. DIR,GUE,NSS-CDS,IANTD all have something to offer, But non are perfect.
In the time it took me to write, this something new and better has come along to make both our skills obsolete. I'm not triing to offend anyone . But you don't need a drivers license to dive, you do need COMMON SENSE.

beachdivequeenbelam:
I just got done reading THe Last Dive, and About diving this wreak. I know that a good many of the forefathers of this sport have died, or moved on. My question is this....After reading about all the divers in those books, who would be the person to go learn from to get cave and wreak diving like the type you need for these wreaks and caves now?
SOrry it sounds so wordy. I would like to someday in the next few years get into this. I want to make sure I can get the best training available so I can stay as safe as I can.
Get the best training you can, but remember, there is no substitute for experience. Many of those who died were expert divers, but they lacked experience in those type of conditions.

I've done the Doria on both air and mix, and I can tell you firsthand that this wreck leaves absolutely no room for error. You need to be experienced and prepared for diving the worst type of Northeast conditions, including cold water, poor visibility, rough seas, changing weather conditions, and rapidly changing current speed and direction.

If you are serious about doing the dive, you should really consider diving other wrecks in the area first to build your experience with the local area conditions. You should also have done considerable amount of dives in the depth range of 200 to 220 feet. The Doria is no place for Trimix checkouts.

Good Luck and Dive Safe
Adam

AADiveRex:
Get the best training you can, but remember, there is no substitute for experience. Many of those who died were expert divers, but they lacked experience in those type of conditions.

If you are serious about doing the dive, you should really consider diving other wrecks in the area first to build your experience with the local area conditions. You should also have done considerable amount of dives in the depth range of 200 to 220 feet. The Doria is no place for Trimix checkouts.

Good Luck and Dive Safe
Adam

As Mr Morley proved a couple of years ago!

mwilding:
You can go to Gary Gentile's site and buy some china and tell you buddys about your solo dive on air...
i have cups :crafty: , two of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom