Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver:
It's sometimes hard to read intent in the written word, so if I've mistaken your intent here, forgive me.

Having said that, it somewhat concerns me when I see someone express interest in a dive that appears to be strictly goal oriented.

I'm not speaking for you, but I've seen divers who seem in a rush to meet "challenges." IMO, one of the main reason that some of these dives are "challenges" is because they haven't gotten the requisite training or experience to make them comfortable or proficient.

Everything I do in life is goal oriented. Goals are set and reached as a part of succeeding in life. All of my goals are obviously not related to diving. Many climbers set a goal of reaching the summit of K2. Many astronauts set a goal of actually getting into space. One of my goals as a diver is to do the Doria. Why do you say I'm rushing to meet a goal? Did you not take the time to read all of my posts? That goal is still several years out for me and subject to additional training, experience, and will change if I'm not ready. Read the posts. Training is a matter-of-fact quantifiable measurement. Experience is not. One person's comfort level and ability, training being the same, can be very different from anothers. This has nothing to do with the passage of time. I have accomplished many things in life. I take all of them seriously. Whether it was flying in combat, flying your family to their vacation, or diving a wreck, I have looked at these as a very serious individual. I accomplish my dreams because I take calculated risks. I'll dive the Doria or equiv. wreck when I'm ready. BTW, the Doria is a challenging wreck to even experieced divers. If you don't view it that way, then it is complacency.

THE OUTLAW
VENTURE THREE
SEA LION
will run trips threwout the winter including march here in NJ
and i would think there are others?

Mempilot, I spoke to Gary G. not to long ago. The upper decks are "sloughing off" and not collapsing in as some have mentioned. I haven't dove it yet, because it's a long trip for a lot of money.Gary felt like there would be plenty of diving on it, just not the upperclass decks. So we'll be diving in steerage(just like I travel)!! I'm going to go one of these days, I agree with your philosophy about goals. My goal is do dive the Monitor. I'm a civil war "buff" and so combining those two things would be fun. The Monitor represents a lot of different aspects to wreck diving. the history, the skills needed to dive it, etc. I know numerous people who have been on it, I just haven't worked it into my schedule yet. Too many dives to make and not enough time to do them. Safe diving-m

mempilot:
DeepBlueTech,

As for the March diving - Darn, I'll see if I can change my vacation bid for later in the spring. I haven't been diving dry very long. I've just borrowed and rented in the past. I broke down and bought myself a Christmas present. I'm diving my new drysuit on Wednesday. I picked up a Zeagle Expedition GS. I just realized an hour ago that the boots won't fit into my fin pockets. I took it to the dive shop and guess what: gotta force in a large set of Jets, but they fit the Twin Jets and Mares Quattros fine. I know the fin thing has been beat up ten fold on this board, but I'm going to post a question on the new SP foot pockets in the Equip section.

Twin Jet (XL) are the only fins I have come across that will fit my size 13 "Rock Boots" (DUI DRY SUIT) .

My LDS just issued a post regarding the new Jetfin for 2004. It is XXL. apparently the foot pockert is quite larger than the Turtle fin. Matbe too large for some. You might want to check it out.

Actually, I just picked up a pair of those things - they are awesome. I have XXXL attached Bare boots on my drysuit. I used to use the XL Mares Quatro's, and my toes would always go numb or be in pain after a long dive. I used the Jets this weekend ice diving and it was the first time in history that my toes felt great after diving.

I'm just not 100% sure if I like the jet's or not....they don't feel like they have as much "oomph" as my Quatro's did...but oh well.

Omicron:
Actually, I just picked up a pair of those things - they are awesome. I have XXXL attached Bare boots on my drysuit. I used to use the XL Mares Quatro's, and my toes would always go numb or be in pain after a long dive. I used the Jets this weekend ice diving and it was the first time in history that my toes felt great after diving.

I'm just not 100% sure if I like the jet's or not....they don't feel like they have as much "oomph" as my Quatro's did...but oh well.

The thing with the twin jets is that you don't feel like there is any OOMPH, but comment by a buddy made me feel it really was there.
We were headed back to the line, I was taking it very easy (i thought) when we got on top, my buddy said "why were u going so fast, I couldn't keep up" (I was wearing double steel, w/dry suit etc)

You're not supposed to feel the pressure with the TJs

If you have read Descent into Darkness by: Edward C. Raymer you will find your new Mount Everest of diving.

I just got done reading THe Last Dive, and About diving this wreak. I know that a good many of the forefathers of this sport have died, or moved on. My question is this....After reading about all the divers in those books, who would be the person to go learn from to get cave and wreak diving like the type you need for these wreaks and caves now?
SOrry it sounds so wordy. I would like to someday in the next few years get into this. I want to make sure I can get the best training available so I can stay as safe as I can.

ANy ideas who?

Back
Top Bottom