And they say blondes are dumb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sail 'n Dive:
I'll be staying in Avalon from June 5 to 10, doing boat dives and shore dives -- so (talk about thread hi-jack ! )

<snip>

if I have not completely ticked off the entire bunch of so-cals, perhaps someone else would like to come along ?
sail 'n dive
I'm sure you'll find people to dive with you if they can get free on weekdays. We're a tougher skinned group than people think. :crafty:

On June 11th we're having our monthly SoCal Wrinkles Dive and BBQ. You could meet the whole lot of us if you are staying over that weekend. It's in Laguna Beach in June.

We're a friendly group and love it when people from out-of-town can join in the fun. In fact, we've already got a couple of people from Austin, Texas and another from Phoenix, Arizona coming to join us!

Hope you can make it!

Christian

headhunter:
Kelp Elite,

Since this is an online community, there are other things that come up in conversation.

I'll paint this picture a different way.

If you call a dive buddy on the phone to see if he/she wants to go out for a dive, you may talk about other things on the phone than diving.

If you actually get together and go diving, while you are together that day, you may talk about other things in person than diving.

If you were to stop calling a dive buddy and diving with them because they talk about other things than diving, I think that would seem a bit odd to most people.

Working under the assumption that you may be new to ScubaBoard and may not really have met any of us in person at this point (welcome to the board, by the way), it would make sense that you might be looking at this site solely as a resource for strictly learning facts and figures about diving. It is that, but for many of us it is much more. If you actually knew the people that were posting, just like the dive buddy on the phone that you may get together with, you might look at this a bit more like a telephone conversation over a party line with some friends, but with much more structure than chat rooms.

Having said that, you are right about some topics needing to stay somewhat focused and that's why we have moderators. That will hold more true in the equipment forums, medical forums and technical diving forums. The regional forums are here for both gathering information pertaining to the region as well as meeting like minded individuals that would like to get together and dive. Along the way, we get to know each other and keep the rules a bit looser in these regional forums. Many things fall into a grey area and then the moderators have to make a decision about whether something has wandered too far off and the thread has been hijacked to the detriment of the community or if the meandering conversation is actually OK. Some of this has to do with the way that the original poster in the thread sees it.

For instance, if you had started a thread and felt that it was getting hijacked to the detriment of getting the information you were seeking, you could send me (or another moderator) a PM and ask for the thread to be moderated to get it back on track. That may require deleting some posts or splitting a side conversation off into it's own thread. This happens all the time, but we want to be careful not to get into overmoderation if no one really wants it.

I think that the community aspect of ScubaBoard along with the moderated format are a couple of the reasons that ScubaBoard has over 40,000 members.

Does that help as an explanation why some threads wander off topic and what can be done about it when it seems necessary?

By the way, hopefully you can make it out to some of our dive get togethers and meet some of us.

Christian

Christian,
I am impressed and delighted in your detailed and clear response...you are cool; I see and understand your point...I guess like anything else, being new in anything has a curve of "getting used to"....I appreciate your time. Love this site and many of my technical, equipment related questions answered here on this site by fellow divers from all over the world and that's a great value this site offers. May be one day I can hook up with some of the local divers and meet them in person and dive. However; I have a pretty busy work, family, church(leading small groups, studies, volunteering) etc. schedule and hard for me to find as much time as I desire for diving.
Again, thank you kindly for your time.

Take care,

kelp elite:
Christian,
I am impressed and delighted in your detailed and clear response...you are cool; I see and understand your point...I guess like anything else, being new in anything has a curve of "getting used to"....I appreciate your time. Love this site and many of my technical, equipment related questions answered here on this site by fellow divers from all over the world and that's a great value this site offers. May be one day I can hook up with some of the local divers and meet them in person and dive. However; I have a pretty busy work, family, church(leading small groups, studies, volunteering) etc. schedule and hard for me to find as much time as I desire for diving.
Again, thank you kindly for your time.

Take care,
Thanks for the kind words and I'm sure we all look forward to meeting you soon.

If you find yourself free during the Memorial Day weekend to do a dive at one of the locations that we're planning in Memorial Day weekend thread feel free to just drop in. I've just put a poll up in that thread so that people who can make it can vote on where they can be on which day.

I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number so that you can call at the last minute and find out where we are going to be. I may be in the water on a dive, so if you call be sure to leave a message, so I can call when I get out of the water.

Christian

headhunter:
Thanks for the kind words and I'm sure we all look forward to meeting you soon.

If you find yourself free during the Memorial Day weekend to do a dive at one of the locations that we're planning in Memorial Day weekend thread feel free to just drop in. I've just put a poll up in that thread so that people who can make it can vote on where they can be on which day.

I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number so that you can call at the last minute and find out where we are going to be. I may be in the water on a dive, so if you call be sure to leave a message, so I can call when I get out of the water.

Christian

Thanks Chris,
I appreciate the invite but my wife is taking a "me time" with her mom at Lake Havasu for this weekend and I am at home with our 22 months old daughter so diving is out for me this weekend; however I am planning on dropping in on the 11th for the BQ at Laguna...look forward to meeting you there.
Enjoy this weekend's dive and be safe!!!!!

Hey! Where are all the dumb blondes in here anyway?

PerroneFord relax.
I might suggest newbies find a dive group in the local area, I find most all divers don't mind helping new divers, if it's known upfront.

and it is silly that most cases new divers pair with new divers, sort of the blind leading the blind.

good name ford.
Michael C ( Ford )

MissyP:

Wasn't able to dive the 2nd dive to the Ruby...... ended up feeding the fish 5, yes FIVE, times.. :flush:
:nosmilie:

The last place I'd want to be when I get seasick is on the boat so I usually splash. I usually start feeling better as soon as I descend.

IceDiverInCA:
The last place I'd want to be when I get seasick is on the boat so I usually splash. I usually start feeling better as soon as I descend.

IceDiver, your avatar is scary :errrr:

Sail n Dive- no worries :) Enjoy Catalina!

To get back to the original topic, I used to dive in my 3mm shortie from about May to as late as December. I didn't think I was getting cold... until I started taking U/W video and realized my camera arm was shaking. Of course when videotaping your muscles aren't working as hard so they're not generating heat.

As for MissyP's blonde joke and hijacking of her own thread, I thought the joke was funny and the owner of a thread has highjack rights anyway (how can you "hijack" your own thread, that's like saying you can "carjack" your own car).

As for diving Catalina, you will enjoy it. I'd offer to dive with you but I just did my first three dives in nearly three weeks and ended up "blowing my heel out" when I towed 175# of gear out to the park. Damn! Time to get a golf cart.

drbill:
As for MissyP's blonde joke and hijacking of her own thread, I thought the joke was funny and the owner of a thread has highjack rights anyway (how can you "hijack" your own thread, that's like saying you can "carjack" your own car).

As for diving Catalina, you will enjoy it. I'd offer to dive with you but I just did my first three dives in nearly three weeks and ended up "blowing my heel out" when I towed 175# of gear out to the park. Damn! Time to get a golf cart.

oh noooo, Dr. Bill brought the :phillekke thread back!

Ouch... sorry about your heel.... but, why I have this song stuck in my head now? :ne_nau:

"I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom