And they say blondes are dumb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelp elite:
Why do threads loose their purpose?....I can't see the relevance with Diving and where this thread is going....

Here is blonde things, remarks about hair colors, how people say things can go to:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Diving people, diving...ONLY diving related comments should be the only focus here. I love so many things about this site and equaly dislike the irrelevant stuff. But majority rules and I respect that, so people feel like me eventualy fall out of this site....

Happy & Safe Diving all divers.....
Kelp Elite,

Since this is an online community, there are other things that come up in conversation.

I'll paint this picture a different way.

If you call a dive buddy on the phone to see if he/she wants to go out for a dive, you may talk about other things on the phone than diving.

If you actually get together and go diving, while you are together that day, you may talk about other things in person than diving.

If you were to stop calling a dive buddy and diving with them because they talk about other things than diving, I think that would seem a bit odd to most people.

Working under the assumption that you may be new to ScubaBoard and may not really have met any of us in person at this point (welcome to the board, by the way), it would make sense that you might be looking at this site solely as a resource for strictly learning facts and figures about diving. It is that, but for many of us it is much more. If you actually knew the people that were posting, just like the dive buddy on the phone that you may get together with, you might look at this a bit more like a telephone conversation over a party line with some friends, but with much more structure than chat rooms.

Having said that, you are right about some topics needing to stay somewhat focused and that's why we have moderators. That will hold more true in the equipment forums, medical forums and technical diving forums. The regional forums are here for both gathering information pertaining to the region as well as meeting like minded individuals that would like to get together and dive. Along the way, we get to know each other and keep the rules a bit looser in these regional forums. Many things fall into a grey area and then the moderators have to make a decision about whether something has wandered too far off and the thread has been hijacked to the detriment of the community or if the meandering conversation is actually OK. Some of this has to do with the way that the original poster in the thread sees it.

For instance, if you had started a thread and felt that it was getting hijacked to the detriment of getting the information you were seeking, you could send me (or another moderator) a PM and ask for the thread to be moderated to get it back on track. That may require deleting some posts or splitting a side conversation off into it's own thread. This happens all the time, but we want to be careful not to get into overmoderation if no one really wants it.

I think that the community aspect of ScubaBoard along with the moderated format are a couple of the reasons that ScubaBoard has over 40,000 members.

Does that help as an explanation why some threads wander off topic and what can be done about it when it seems necessary?

By the way, hopefully you can make it out to some of our dive get togethers and meet some of us.

Christian

headhunter:
For instance, if you had started a thread and felt that it was getting hijacked to the detriment of getting the information you were seeking, you could send me (or another moderator) a PM and ask for the thread to be moderated to get it back on track.

Christian

Christian, can I hijack my own thread? :tired:
Who's coming to Disneyland with me? :369:

since were hyjacking a little....
Christian, what is with all the subtitles under the member names...ie... veteran, regular, single diver, . What distinguishes the differences of these? Does it go by post count or something?

Now, MissyP... are we talking about REAL blondes... or ones with dark roots? It makes a lot of difference IMHO! Glad you enjoyed your dive on the Yukon and that you were prepared for the conditions usually encountered there. Of course here on Catalina it has been 57-59 at comparable depths for much of the winter. Toasty!

Dr. Bill

SNOBORDJON:
since were hyjacking a little....
Christian, what is with all the subtitles under the member names...ie... veteran, regular, single diver, . What distinguishes the differences of these? Does it go by post count or something?
There you go! Follow Phil's link and it tells you how it's ranked by post count.

If you opt in to certain forums then you get an option to have that title under your name. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if we have any of these forums left after our reorganization. It used to be that you had to opt into the DIR forum, the Solo Divers forum and the Singles forum, for instance. I'm not sure if you still have to opt into any of those. When you did, it would show up as your user title.

If you are a supporting member, then you will be able to setup your own custom user title in your User CP to appear under your name (instead of New Member, Registered Member, Moderator, etc…)

Christian

headhunter:
There you go! Follow Phil's link and it tells you how it's ranked by post count.

Christian

In other words, I'm a big mouth & post waaaaay too much :shout:

:lol2:

Moose wrangling, the sport of tomorrow. :moose:

oops, I didn't know you all had a joke going about the blondes reference ... sorry to get a little overly sensitive there, and yes, this new yorker is hanging out on your forum a lot these days as I happen to have a trip to Catalina coming up -- I planned it as a treat after a conference in LA -- I'll be staying in Avalon from June 5 to 10, doing boat dives and shore dives -- so (talk about thread hi-jack ! ) anyone who wants to come diving with me, I am looking for a buddy and rest assured, I can talk as much or as little about feminism and gender equality as you like on the surface, and hey underwater, I just make perfectly inoffensive bubbles. So far, Mo2vation replied to a thread I started in the "trips..." list and has said he's interested -- if I have not completely ticked off the entire bunch of so-cals, perhaps someone else would like to come along ?
sail 'n dive

Sail 'n Dive:
oops, I didn't know you all had a joke going about the blondes reference ... sorry to get a little overly sensitive there, and yes, this new yorker is hanging out on your forum a lot these days as I happen to have a trip to Catalina coming up -- I planned it as a treat after a conference in LA -- I'll be staying in Avalon from June 5 to 10, doing boat dives and shore dives -- so (talk about thread hi-jack ! ) anyone who wants to come diving with me, I am looking for a buddy and rest assured, I can talk as much or as little about feminism and gender equality as you like on the surface, and hey underwater, I just make perfectly inoffensive bubbles. So far, Mo2vation replied to a thread I started in the "trips..." list and has said he's interested -- if I have not completely ticked off the entire bunch of so-cals, perhaps someone else would like to come along ?
sail 'n dive

I'll dive with you.......as long as you're not a blonde! :wink:

seriously, you'll find some nice folks here, and not hard to find a buddy to dive catalina. Ken (Mo2vation) is pretty sensitive so be careful what you say!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom