And another sale gone, another one down... another one bites the dust!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of dive shops want us to pay their inflated prices and leave it to their discretion - if - and what - and when - they will offer additional values. I suppose if you're a good loyal customer willing to repeatedly pay those prices or help them out with classes or shop tasks, they will then "pay you back" or recompense you to some extent.

When I go to buy something I may or may not care that you have air fills, whether you will set it up or train me in its use, whether you do repairs, etc. I care about satisfying my needs at that time based on my intended purpose and considerations.

In contrast the online dealers offer a clear definable value in the form of a much lower price, and a set policy for handling service and other issues, whether you are a first time buyer with no intention of ever buying again or a regular customer. No attitude, no hassle, no implied rants about - what are you going to do for me?

With all the options I have here, its not my job to keep anyone in business. Its their job to get my business.

I just seems that some shops prefer no competition, especially those that aren't used to it and don't know what to do.

Genisis, lets just say that you ONLY make minimum wage. Now by the length of all you posts, you've already eaten that savings margin that you're so proud of. Now I can tell from your posts that you're much more important and make much more than minimum wage, so you are really in the hole.
In fact was going to say that I'd go so far as to wager that you aren't really even a diver. You spend way too much time complaining about the evil LDS and respond too quick to the messages here to actually get wet. But that would be mean.
So anyway, you aren't going to change things, the manufs aren't going to change things, Mike isn't going to change things, we all are going to have to wait it out, so just take a breath and buy online

Johnson Outdoors is a conglomerate that owns these brands:

Scubapro, Aladin, Uwatec, SnorkelPro, Leisure Life, Ocean Kayak, Carlisle, Dimension, Escape, Extrasport, Necky, Minn Kota, Eureka, Old Town, Camp Trails, Silva.

I believe you will find that Johnson Outdoors is owned by a little company called Johnson Wax. hmmmmmmm

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Genisis, lets just say that you ONLY make minimum wage. Now by the length of all you posts, you've already eaten that savings margin that you're so proud of. Now I can tell from your posts that you're much more important and make much more than minimum wage, so you are really in the hole.
In fact was going to say that I'd go so far as to wager that you aren't really even a diver. You spend way too much time complaining about the evil LDS and respond too quick to the messages here to actually get wet. But that would be mean.
So anyway, you aren't going to change things, the manufs aren't going to change things, Mike isn't going to change things, we all are going to have to wait it out, so just take a breath and buy online

NorCal, I am choking on my Vanilla Coke here!! I can't stop laughing. This is classic.

BTW what is record for posts to one topic?

OkieDiver once bubbled...

I believe you will find that Johnson Outdoors is owned by a little company called Johnson Wax. hmmmmmmm

You mean the newly renamed SC Johnson?? In that case, they have enough legal power to do what ever they want. Nothing but perhaps the Italian Parliament is more powerful than a chemical company.

OkieDiver once bubbled...

OK I looked deeper and found this:

"All of the Johnson companies are built on a few basic principles:
• people matter most and therefore taking care of the customer's needs comes first
• real value exists in thinking and planning for the long-term
• giving back to the communities where we live and work isn't a choice but a responsibility. "

This comes from the Johnson International home page. SC Johnson and Johnson Outdoors are two of 4 multi-national companies that are family owned.

Gotta love point number 1 there. Taking care of the customer comes first. Hmm...

They are "bigger than US Steel." Hyman Roth, The GodFather Pt II.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Many threads on this before BUT.....
Johnsons Baby shampoo, never failed me.

Sorry Mr Ferrara.:wink:

Careful with the shampoo. I had an interesting ice dive with it and never used again. Someone else rinsed my mask while I was gearing up and didn't rinse enough. I went to blow some water out of my mask and the suds started. I let more water in to rinse and cleared again and I really had suds. I had to completely remove the mask to get all the suds out so I could see. No big deal but it sure was cold.

SMKChef once bubbled...

Maybe YOU should be out there explaining this to OTHER dive shops, because ScubaDon and I were in the LDS where we got our OW cert. a while ago. The owner came by and asked if we needed any help. We said no thanks, just looking. His response was, "As long as you're buying, you're welcome to look.

A friend of ours was just in there renting gear and the LDS said they hadn't seen us lately. Wonder why.

I bet you could have saved me a ton of money. I got high end stuff, from the net, much with warranty, but its not the sort of set-up you just explained. Not one that is customized to my needs. I figured out what I needed (wanted) by reading stuff here. No one ever suggested at the dive shop that they would do that.

We have divers who are in almost every day. They come in just to talk diving and hang out with divers.

SMKChef once bubbled...
BTW what is record for posts to one topic?

I believe the record is held by the Redneck Divers post at 271...

Got home last night, box from UPS waiting to be opened, new fins and mask for my son from LP. There is a difference between what LP delivered and what I could have gotten at LDS- $110 dollars! On a mask and pair of fins! For all the talk about customer service and advice at an LDS, did you show up and open your store today because I might stop in and ask a question? Does asking you to point me towards item 'X' constitute a relationship? You were there anyway. If someone else comes in I won't monopolize your time. Consumers ultimately determine the value of goods and services. Perhaps the market should be telling you, from all of the online sales, that the service and advice from LDS's in a lot of cases is not worth the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom