Anaphylaxis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beeracuda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On Tuesday morning, I was stung by wasps and went into anaphylactic shock. I self administered my EpiPen and was taken to the ER. This happened once last summer as well, before I knew I was allergic to the wasp stings. I never had problems before.

What worries me is if I get stung by a jellyfish or some other stinging creature in the water. I don't know if I would have the same allergic reaction to those stings, but it worries me somewhat. If I dive in salt water, I plan on always being covered head to toe, just in case.

Does anybody else have the same allergic reaction to wasp stings and what do you do?

Keep in mind that you are not allergic to the sting. Your immune system is overly sensitive (and thus reacts excessively when exposed) to one or more of the components of wasp venom.
In an admitedly brief search, I cannot find a breakdown of the exact chemical compounds found in wasp and jellyfish stings. A few sources indicate that the exact compound varies widely between species of wasps.
However, given the huge difference between the effects of wasp venom and that of jellyfish, I doubt that they have much (if anything) in common.

If you're really worried about this, I'd say contact your allergist, or a toxicologist.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Dive Medicine, should get more responses here.

A couple of thoughts: First, DDog covered it well but also, acquiring a new allergic reaction is not excluded; perhaps the first incident may be mild, but subsequent exposures may be serious. Even stress can provoke an allergic reaction. Second, if land is to windward of the boat, an offshore wasp encounter is still possible.*

*Way back in the day, on Oahu's southern shore was a surf spot we called "Flies" because of the bugs wafting downwind from a trash dump and incinerator. And if you think Flies is a goofy name, there was "Gums" up near Pipeline, named for a guy who got face-planted in the shorebreak and lost a bunch of teeth.

TC:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Dive Medicine, should get more responses here.

Thanks for the move. I knew there was a better place for this, but I just couldn't find it...

Keep in mind that you are not allergic to the sting. Your immune system is overly sensitive (and thus reacts excessively when exposed) to one or more of the components of wasp venom.
In an admitedly brief search, I cannot find a breakdown of the exact chemical compounds found in wasp and jellyfish stings. A few sources indicate that the exact compound varies widely between species of wasps.
However, given the huge difference between the effects of wasp venom and that of jellyfish, I doubt that they have much (if anything) in common.

If you're really worried about this, I'd say contact your allergist, or a toxicologist.

I have an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow and I am going to see about a referral to an allergist to see if there is something that can be done for this hypersensitivity I have.

I also doubted that they might have the same venom, but after the scare I had yesterday, I sure don't want to take a chance. I will see what the allergist has to say and post an update...

I just got back from a follow up visit with my family doctor. He is scheduling an appointment for me with an allergist. Hopefully, he will be able to do something to desensitize me to these stings...

I don't know where you are so your local physicians may or may not know much about sea creatures. Have you phoned DAN during business hours for info?

I don't know where you are so your local physicians may or may not know much about sea creatures. Have you phoned DAN during business hours for info?

Although I probably should have, I never thought of that. I will call them this week.....

I believe desensitization is helpful with hymenoptera venom (into which class bees, wasps and ants fall). I do NOT know if there is any chemical similarity between that venom and jellyfish, or whether people who anaphylax to bees are more likely to have severe reactions to jellyfish stings. That's a marine toxicology question, and DAN is probably the most likely place to find someone who can answer it.

Please post back on what they have to say, I'd be curious to know if theres any relation between the toxins- I king of doubt there is but would like to know for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom